Manjaro is slower than windows. +many more

I have a more than powerful pc for my needs and uses (specs in bio), yet when launching apps manjaro is slower than windows, and by apps I mean ALL apps. It takes like 40 seconds to open ANYTHING. just so you know I’m using a HDD with 2 main partitions, 1 is windows and 1 is manjaro. RAM usage is 2gb at best in normal conditions (not when editing or gaming (UNDER MANJARO) ) CPU usage is about 3% usually. It’s the same with closing apps aswell, takes well over 50 seconds

Now onto another topic, I can’t use my keyboard in the grub bootmenu.
My motherboard has an option for legacy keyboard support but it’s PS2 only.
Numlock is disabled at boot, but numlock arrow keys don’t work as well, neither does the mouse scroll wheel.

Hi,

These are 2 problems, and rather different, they might be related, please read the article below and edit your post to supply some more data to help others help you better.

Please provide inxi -Fza

Also, please wrap your output with ``` before and after the output

Which DE?

I’m running Manjaro Plasma on a 9 year old Thinkpad with 4G of RAM and it takes just a few seconds to load any program.

1. I have a more than powerful pc for my needs and uses (specs in bio)
  2. It takes like 40 seconds to open ANYTHING.
  3. just so you know I’m using a HDD with 2 main partitions

There is some conflict here… but with SSD I can open GiMP in under 5 seconds… SSD is the most necessary upgrade for this century :wink: However, 40 seconds is still not right…

Anyway, probably faster and better than another post here - start by doing a complete Timeshift, and then make sure you have a bootable USB.

Then you have the option to do a very fresh install and see if that solves the issue. When ready, you could go into your /home and try renaming your .config to .configOLD then logout and login and see what stirs.

If it does, then be very careful about restoring stuff from your timeshift. I have had one or two mysterious glitches which I couldn’t (or maybe too lazy to spend more than an hour) troubleshoot which were easily cleared up with some refreshing.

I don’t have time to do all that since well, online classes.

This conversation is going nowhere, and it’s getting there fast.