Manjaro is not booting anymore out of Nvidia driver problem

Mod-edit: Link-fix

Hello! Please I need help in recovering my Manjaro system.

The Problem:

I can’t boot into my system at all. I am only ending with black screen that has the “ASROCK” which is the logo of my motherboard’s brand.

Current Situation:

I am using chroot from a live Manjaro USB but I don’t know how to fix my issue.

How did that happen?

1. After a fresh install of Manjaro KDE 20.2, I have got notified to update to the latest kernel.

2. After updating to the latest kernel (5.10), the system did not boot. As a result, I booted again using (5.9) and removed the latest kernel which is (5.10).

3. Thereafter, I have got a notification from the update manager that Manjaro is not able to update due to Nvidia driver conflict. So I removed the Nvidia driver and switched to the open-source one from the settings > hardware.

4. I stumbled upon this tutorial on the forum: My switch to the 5.10 kernel with update 2020-12-30

I moved through this tutorial but did not install the new kernel. My journey ended with this line:

sudo rm -R /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-455xx

After that, the post said that I should install the latest drivers from the settings > hardware but that was not launching anymore.

1. I thought that restarting the system might help. After restarting, the system was not booting anymore. I have tried to switch to an older kernel but that did not help.

I assume that I really messed up when deleting this file: /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-455xx - but I felt safe while I was doing so since I was not using the Nvidia driver but the open-source one. I have no idea what went wrong.

1. I booted from a live USB of Manjaro, and mounted the system. Then logged in using chroot as the first step before posting here for help.

My System Info:

Manjaro KDE 20.2
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti

Any suggestions or solutions to recover my system without formatting will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

What is the output at this moment, while inside and outside the chroot, of this command?

• mhwd

PS:
Are you able to boot and switch to another terminal using CTRLALTF2?

Thank you so much for your reply and for offering help of course.

1. mhwd is giving the following output from inside chroot:

0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c82) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                           NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI
             video-nvidia-390xx            2020.11.30               false            PCI
                    video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
              video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
                     video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

2. mhwd is giving the following output from outside chroot while booting from a live Manjaro USB:

Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-340xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-430xx-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-435xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-340xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-390xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-418xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-430xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-435xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-440xx/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/catalyst/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/r8168/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     Warning: config '/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/network_drivers/rt3562sta/MHWDCONFIG' is invalid!
     > 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c82) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
                       NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
         video-nvidia-455xx            2020.10.04               false            PCI
         video-nvidia-450xx            2020.10.04               false            PCI
                video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
          video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
                 video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

3. Yes, I can boot and switch to another terminal using CTRL+ALT+F2 even after seeing the black screen that has the logo of my motherboard’s brand (ASROCK).

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you once again!

Could you provide the output of, so we know what is already (or not) installed:

• mhwd --listinstalled
  • mhwd-kernel --listinstalled

When i figure out what to do next, you might be able to continue from another VC, as you been able already, after a boot into your normal system.

Thank you for your reply.

After booting and meeting up with the same problem, I pressed CTRL+ALT+F2 and accessed the terminal. After doing so, I typed the commands that you have provided.

The results are as follows:

$ mhwd --listintalled
Warning: No installed PCI configs!
Warning: No installed USB configs!

$ mhwd-kernel --listintalled
    Currently running: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO (linux59)
    The following kernels are installed in your system:
    * linux54
    * linux59

Ok nice!
That means you don’t have any nVidia drivers installed at all at moment, which should make it easier…
Try these commands in the booted system (again in an extra VC):

1. sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510
  2. sudo mhwd --auto pci nonfree 0300
    If that does not work you can try the free drivers instead:
    sudo mhwd --auto pci free 0300
2 Likes

That worked amazingly well. The system booted properly while having the latest kernel without any issues. Thank you very much for everything!!! :grin:

Had the same problem on unstable after some update (don’t remember what exactly), booted into a live USB, chroot and found out (journalctl -r) that NVIDIA driver “could not find any displays”. Reinstalled only the kernel (using the mhwd-kernel -i linux510 command) and everything works again.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.