Manjaro is losing ground against MXLinux

Lots of the great people in the mx community have together been there years before Ubuntu was a thing. Still closely based on debian, it isn’t going to break but does have tools others haven’t copied yet. Peppermint is the only decent implementation of ICE that I’ve seen, and has a loyal, active user base.

I like Arch & Debian. Who cares? :crazy_face:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Apparently, there is nothing to worry about.

Those who love Debian-based operating systems will gravitate towards MX Linux and those who love Arch-based operating systems will gravitate towards Manjaro Linux.

11 Likes

Every distribution has it's own character, goal and target audience. That's why it's hard to compare them with each other. And a "click rate" scoreboard of site distrowatch doesn't tell anything about quality... better ignore that or at least, do not take it too seriously :wink:.

It's hard enough to find a distribution which fullfills all your needed key features and where you are feeling comfortable with. This can be very time-consuming. Just be glad when you have found your perfect environment.

4 Likes

To me, the MX (and AntiX) Live USB with persistence is the coolest thing about the distro. Better performance and easier to implement than Porteus, in my opinion. I configure it on a 64GB stick and run it like a regularly-installed system. This is especially nice when traveling by air and don't want to submit my laptop to possible TSA invasions. Would love it if Manjaro came out with something similar.

4 Likes

You can already install Manjaro to a USB stick and run it like a regularly-installed system. :wink:

The opp means run in persistence not installed

1 Like

What's the (effective) difference?

In both cases you have a persistent system which you can customise and install packages onto.

3 Likes

@jonathon Totally agree but they must be different as you can install any distro to a stick? but you can only make a persistant on debian Ubuntu

Yeah - I just don't understand why it's a big deal for people. I know the "live cd" approach will do hardware detection, but the base kernel and drivers will work on any system, and how many different types of hardware are you actually going to run on?

I don't know... there must be a use-case I haven't considered. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Someone who uses PC cafes?

2 Likes

MX is an amazing distro.
I still prefer Manjaro but MX is my second choice.

I still prefer brunette but blond is my second choice :wink:

5 Likes

I like red heads, but if there's no one about sheep are warm and cuddly with nice personalities. :smile:

7 Likes

"Manjaro Linux. Come for the OS, stay for the beastiality."

9 Likes

Oi! Get back you lot. Shoo.

@sgs Can I please get an icon with a goatherd's staff and rod instead of a hammer?

10 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Goat enclosure

those are just silly bragging rights... distrowatch hits.
but i would really love to see some real overall accurate OS(Linux) stats.

@adreampuppet @mandog
yes, but other operating systems have Live usb persistence too. (a few Linux distros, and also Windows, Haiku) not only debian/ubuntu.

@jonathon means installing Manjaro on a USB stick, never tried it myself but i believe its possible with some tweaks.

@korealinux not really, those computers in PC-Caffee's have usb ports disabled, and you would have to ask the admin to transfer files if needed, this is mostly in the EU

Yes, in the meantime please use this one :smiley:

manjar-oz-sgs

7 Likes

By persistence on a live USB stick I mean, any changes I make (new packages, updated packages, emails, document downloads, photos, videos, etc.) are saved across subsequent sessions. MX/AntiX has the best implementation of persistence that I've discovered, in that it's not restricted to 4GB like the typical Ubuntu method (unless that's changed), and the whole MX/AntiX session can be run in RAM, which ends up being very fast even on an under-powered machine. The use-case here is that the live USB is pretty much a complete operating system, rather than just for test-driving, installing or troubleshooting an installed system.

1 Like