Manjaro is losing ground against MXLinux

Why doesn’t the apt get command work in Manjaro. The devs really need to get this bug fixed ASAP. :bug: :smile:

16 Likes

can MXLinux installs more kernel versions on boot ?
can MXlinux launch microcode CPU in same time that booting on kernel ?

I installed and fell in love with Manjaro when it was not #1, so this is fine with me (I think Linux Mint was #1 at the time but it didn’t feel right to me). I predict Manjaro will not fall out of the the top 5 however. It is just too good once someone of a certain mindset tries it for the first time. It strikes a very nice balance between cutting-edge and easy to use backed by a active, friendly community. These are not easy things to do.

If distrowatch rankings meant a distro’s suitability for the widest audience (which I don’t believe it does), Manjaro doesn’t really belong in the top spot anyway. It is maybe a little bit too technical [edit: demanding might be a better word] being based on Arch to be suitable for everybody.

5 Likes

The cynic in me repeats peter principle. Goes something like this.

People (in this case, distros) rises to their level of incompetency.

I personally prefer the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

Or, perhaps a more simple explanation?

Round and round the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel.

Ha ha, Distrowatch. :smile:

As already mentioned by many, distrowatch is not at all the right way of measuring the effectiveness of a distro. Manjaro is a wonderful fit to all my needs just like it is for several other people.

But we do have to agree that Distrowatch is a wonderful way to bring Manjaro to a wider audience. I was thankful enough to be introduced to Manjaro by word of mouth, but I have known several people who had started on their journey into Linux/Manjaro seeing Manjaro top the list at Distrowatch and now swear by Manjaro.

1 Like

I am of the latter type. I shall also give MX Linux a whirl. But I agree that Manjaro XFCE has fit my needs and wants perfectly. Makes me lazy enough to not try other flavors or distros…and that’s saying a lot.

2 Likes

I came to Manjaro from MX as I had acquired a better laptop. MX is zippy and ultra stable, with some great tools you don’t get elsewhere. I installed gnome on it, and it worked well. Stuff like changing themes in gnome was much harder than manjaro, which is so easy.

Been using manjaro about 3 months now and mostly love it. If I ever found manjaro unstable, I would go back either to mx or the underrated Peppermint. Both are fast, stable and very easy if you’ve come from mint or ubuntu

3 Likes

I often look at the site to read what’s new - sometimes I’ll try out a distro for a week or so to get a feel - still find myself coming back to using Manjaro though.

If there were a measure then perhaps a count of the number of members on their forums could be a guide to go by - but then some people only join to check something and then disappear. Active user count would be better, to be honest I am not really concerned - I am happy here - reading the forums.

1 Like

For these reasons MX Linux as a Debian-based alternative will cannibalize dusty Ubuntu and it’s flavored derivatives.
Don’t really see a direct danger to Manjaro for losing many user percentage.

What i’ll really dream of is the tool MX USB ISO CREATOR for all distros. It’s a great idea to make a snapshot of the installed and configured system and save as ISO.

pappl

2 Likes

You forgot the “tend to.” :slight_smile: But yeah, the entropy part; right on! :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe Y wasn’t the best way to do X in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue: .
Example: I find Pacman to be soo much better than APT.

1 Like

What I’d love to do is create a super minimal XFCE iso, with just a few tools on it. This will include a graphical chroot tool, a grub repair tool, timeshift, gparted, and terminal. It would be cool to add a “reinstall manjaro” option there too if possible. This image would somehow be installed and updated through the main system if possible, and it would not take up much storage ~700MB-1GB. It would be housed on a separate partition, and would be started with a “boot recovery mode” option. Lastly, I’d love a “startup Os” option in manjaro to boot whatever os you want to boot first boot automatically. Opensuse already does this.

2 Likes

Remember, in terms of MX, it’s new, so of course it will get a lot of attention. As things settle down, manjaro may regain the top. I agree that systemdless options really only cause confusion to newcomers, but for diehard Linux fans, it can be somewhat of a bonus. All of MX options means it has to support everything, and therefore will most likely break at some point.

Not relatively speaking. It is based in one of the older Linux distributions, MEPIS.

1 Like

I would rather see Manjaro down a few spots from #1.
The forum was more like family then.
Sounds like MX has been doing a good job and my hat goes off for them.
Myself, I prefer Arch and it’s not #1.

4 Likes

Like @jonathon says, “Come for the OS, stay for the Community.” :smiley:

If we truly want to make Linux available to the unwashed masses. :smiley:

Every time Windows hits a significant show-stopper, we go through this. :wink:

5 Likes

When Manjaro was ranked #1 on distro watch, the novice load on this forum exploded. Dropping back a few spots would be a good thing. MX-Linux is a good distro and it has its roots deep in Mepis and AntiX. Their snapshot tool is a great way to support fringe hardware. It can clone a working configured system onto an installable liveUSB. Also their persistent liveUSB can be used as a full working system without installing.

But mostly, MX is just a thoughtful curation and configuration of the standard linux pieces available to most distros. Sound familiar? It’s a question of preference and/or style and perhaps some technical priorities.

2 Likes

If it work on Fujitsu-Siemens from 2002
Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 600 AXP18
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
it shall be all right with me. :slight_smile:

@masterfix hello crazy :slight_smile: :wink:

Done.

Zusammenfassung
System:    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-1-686-pae i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 tk: Gtk 2.24.31 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.18.3 
           Distro: MX-18.2_386 Continuum Apr 7  2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: FUJITSU SIEMENS model: D1495 v: S26361-D1495 serial: <filter> 
           BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix v: 4.06 Rev. 1.03.1495 date: 10/07/2002 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium 4 bits: 32 type: MCP 
           arch: Netburst Northwood rev: 4 L2 cache: 512 KiB 
           flags: pae sse sse2 bogomips: 5066 
           Speed: 2533 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 2533 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD RV250 [Radeon 9000 Series] vendor: PC Partner Limited driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:4966 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI R200 (RV250 4966) x86/MMX/SSE2 DRI2 v: 1.3 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC97 Sound 
           vendor: Fujitsu Solutions driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.7 
           chip ID: 1039:7012 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-686-pae 
Network:   Device-1: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 
           vendor: Fujitsu Solutions Scenic N300 driver: tulip v: 1.1.15-NAPI port: 1800 
           bus ID: 00:06.0 chip ID: 1317:0985 
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 186.32 GiB used: 4.71 GiB (2.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST380022A size: 74.53 GiB speed: <unknown> 
           serial: <filter> rev: 3.30 scheme: MBR 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3120023A size: 111.79 GiB speed: <unknown> 
           serial: <filter> rev: 3.30 scheme: MBR 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 55.02 GiB used: 4.71 GiB (8.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 
Sensors:   Message: No sensors data was found. Is sensors configured? 
Info:      Processes: 165 Uptime: 14m Memory: 682.6 MiB used: 325.3 MiB (47.6%) Init: SysVinit 
           v: 2.88 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 alt: 6 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 
           running in: xfce4-terminal inxi: 3.0.33
`` `
5 Likes

I see Mint as successor to Ubuntu and MX - successor to Debian for home use( core system not DE). Feel free to call me crazy.

2 Likes