Manjaro is giving me the boot

Hi Everyone

Complete N00b here.

I have no experience with Manjaro and just tried to do a fresh install on a SSD.

When I try to boot from the SSD it just shows a cursor and nothing else with no further progression.

I tried to do install the visual display drivers when booting from a flash-drive.
I tried removing all other hard drives from the computer and I still have the same problem.

Why would it work from a flash but not SSD?

Please Help, I am at a loss on what to do next.

Regards,

1 Like

the latest ISO has an entropy bug so takes a while to boot when installed. if the cursor is flashing, give it a chance to finish and don’t turn the machine off. if after 5 minutes it is still no further then there probably is an issue that needs addressing with your machine.

anyhow, when asking for assistance, please provide some system information as it may well point towards what is going on and help people assist you better.

Long delay for starting Desktop Environment

There’s a bug which is exhausting the entropy pool. This is refilled over time through e.g. disk activity and mouse movement. You can increase the fill rate with a software solution:

sudo pacman -S haveged
sudo systemctl enable haveged
sudo systemctl start haveged

2 Likes

If it is the entropy bug then pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F7, Ctrl+Alt+F1 makes the login screen appear faster. Test it!

Hi Everyone

First Off, Thank you for your help.

The problem seemed to be related to the graphics driver. Installed using the free graphics drivers.

When I selected non free drivers everything worked.

CHROOTing from a flash boot and installing the non-free drivers on the free driver installation didn’t work yet selecting them during installation does. Which was a bit odd.

Anyways this might have been an issue specifically with the 1080 TI.

Sorry for not posting specs before. Reading is hard.

2 Likes

Wow! Well done! You learn fast!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.