Manjaro Installer does not install Grub Bootloader (I think)

Welcome :slight_smile: , best search tool in town :wink: upper right :smiley:

Hope you also created and selected a small (about 150 MB) fat32 partition and mounted it as /boot/efi.

If you did not, make one and follow the link SGS provided to boot into Manjaro, making sure it is booted in UEFI
o make an fstab entry for it (fat32 partition)
o mount it as /boot/efi
o grub-install

And you’re good to go.

If you need help, after creating that fat32 partition, as in the link, provide
efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab
findmnt /boot/efi

o Please reread the wiki on UEFI installation.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. However, the wiki tells me I should use the windows boot efi partition since I am performing a dual boot. Is that correct?

1 Like

You can use the same $esp as windows and do not format it during partition.
Or you can use a new $esp for linux OS’s.
Whatever you do, you must select and mount that $esp as /boot/efi during installation.

When walking through the graphical installer, the installer says that the windows esp will automatically be used. However, when rebooting after the install process, I run into the same error. Failed unmounting /run/miso/boot

Is a problem with not making a good install usb.
Please tell us how you made this install usb.
But others have to jump in here to help you on this. {thanks to the others who jump in here}.
(I rarely make installation usb’s and when I do, I use linux ‘dd’ commands)

Good night.

I used both rufus on DD mode set to GPT and ImageWriter for Windows, both recommended applications by the Manjaro Wiki. Thank you for all your help with this.

I still and always select and mount any existing $esp.

So I select the manual partition mode then? If that’s the case, do I need to make a home and swap partition, or can I just make a root one and use the windows esp and then home and the swapfile are automatically generated? I can only have the total partition of root, home, and swap add to about 54 GB

Yes, you’re right. I always do my installation in manual mode. I’m now unfamiliar with auto mode installation.

home and swap partitions are optional.
Up to you . I normally do not have these unless swap partition is already existing.

The manual partitioning didn’t work. I set my 54 gb partition as / and my windows esp to /boot/efi. The same failed unmounting /run/miso/bootmnt error appeared

The Grub installer is totally broken. For the moment I use refind but grub should be fixed soon. Spend a whole day to find out that’s a bug.

If that’s the case, what should a newbie like me do?

Morning. Use this link from the given link above.
Read thoroughly and provide the information listed there if need further help.
Not providing information or complaining about it gets us nowhere.

The link above worked! Thank you for helping me.
Following the steps from

did work for me. Thank you again.

1 Like

Similar problem even after a fresh install., I still get this the second time.

Any help?

Read the link above your post.

I exactly had the same problem that op has mentioned here and I fixed it with a simple command in cmd.exe (with admin privileges) in windows 10:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi

And if anything went wrong with above command you can fire this:

bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi

Thanks, I actually did a fresh install. Since it wasn’t a duo-boot.

regards,
Robert

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.