[Manjaro-i3][ASUS VivoBook] Wifi "device not managed," possible driver issue?

Hello all! Ive been using Manjaro/Arch Linux for a good six months now, but just now am getting around to posting in the Manjaro community forums.

Unfortunately my first post has to be to ask for help. As the title of the thread notes, I am installing Manjaro i3 on an ASUS Vivobook, 35GiB storage, 2GiB RAM. I am doing this to have a reasonably streamlined coding machine, so I can write code on the go when i'm not at my main driver desktop (which is using the official xfce version of things).

My issue comes in the form of the wifi. Namely, both in the Live Media and a clean install of the system, Manjaro i3 does not seem to want to recognize the wifi hardware at all. I find this strange, as other flavours of Manjaro (namely an old KDE Live USB i had lying around) could recognise the hardware and connect to my router.

Given this, i suspect it is either a kernel driver issue with the new kernel version (i believe the old KDE usb i was testing with used 4.19,) or something wrong with the way the i3 setup itself handles things.

I have already looked through some other threads that had similar issues solved, so i will try to provide the pertinent information up front

relevant output of inxi -Fxxxz:

System: 
     Host: [Hostname]
     Kernel: 5.4.6-2-MANJARO x86_64
     bits: 64
     compiler: gcc
     v: 9.2.0
     Desktop: i3 4.17.1
     info: i3bar
     dm: LightDM 1.30.0
     Disro: Manjaro Linux

Machine:
     Type: Laptop
     system: ASUSTeK
     Product: VivoBook 12_ASUS Laptop E203MAS_E203MA
     v: 1.0
     serial: <filter>
     Mobo: ASUSTeK
     model: E203MAS
     v: 1.0
     serial: <filter>
     UEFI: American Megatrends
     v: E203MAS.302
     date: 06/26/2018

Network:
     Device-1: intel
     driver: iwlwifi
     v: kernel
     port: f000
     bus ID: 00:0c.0
     chip ID: 8086:31dc
     IF: wlo1
     state: N/A
     mac: N/A

If you need any more info this command returns, let me know an I'll provide it both in a reply and an edit here for future users.

rfkill returns nothing blocked.

Return on hwinfo:

Model: "Intel Ethernet controller"
Driver: "iwlwifi"
Device File: wlo1
Link detected: yes
  Driver Status: iwlwifi is active
  Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe iwlwifi"
Model: "Intel Bluetooth Device"
Hotplug: USB
Driver: "btusb"
Speed: 12 Mbps
  Driver Status: btusb is active
  Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe btusb"

output of systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled:

org.cups.cupsd.path
apparmor.service
zutovt@.service
ahavi-daemon.service
bluetooth.service
cronie.service
dbus-fi.w1.wpa_supplcant1.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
display-manager.service
getty@.service
lightdm.service
ModemManager.service
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service
NetworkManager-wait-online.service
NetworkManager.service
org.cups.cupsd.service
snapd.apparmor.service
snapd.service
tlp-sleep.service
tlp.service
ufw.service
wpa_supplicant.service
avahi-daemon.socket
org.cups.cupsd.socket
remote-fs.target
pamac-cleancache.timer
pamac-mirrorlist.timer

wpa_supplicant.service is enabled here because a related article concerning NetworkManager suggested enabling it. Unfortunately this did not work, obviously.

Output of nmcli device show:

GENERAL.DEVICE: lo
GENERAL.TYPE: loopback
GENERAL.HWADDR: 00:00:00:00:00:00
GENERAL.MTU: 65536
GENERAL.STATE: 10 (unmanaged)
GENERAL.CONNECION: --
GENERAL.CON-PATH: --

IP info removed for possible privacy assuming issue is resolved

I hope i can get the issue resolved, as i rather like the use of programs not included in the base install to work on my personal projects, as well as a laptop with no internet access being less of a convenience to anyone.

EDIT: added output to hwinfo

Simply change the kernel to 4.19 LTS until the newer kernels better harmonize with
the iwlwifi driver. You can install the kernel via Manjaro Settings Manager and select it when booting via "Advanced options".

Please post:

hwinfo --netcard --bluetooth | grep -Ei "(hotplug|speed|model|status|cmd|file|detected|driver:)" | grep -v "Config S"

Is your bios up to date?

Try using USB Android phone tethering for an Internet connection to install alternate kernels such as 4.19 , 5.5 or others.

From what I can tell, the BIOS is not up to date. That will be another can of worms as I need to find a usb stick I haven't made a bootable through dd or Etcher.

As for hwinfo, I'll need to get back to you on that. I'm replying from work during a bit of downtime, I'll post the return on that when I can.

EDIT: return on hwinfo:

Model: "Intel Ethernet controller"
Driver: "iwlwifi"
Device File: wlo1
Link detected: yes
  Driver Status: iwlwifi is active
  Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe iwlwifi"
Model: "Intel Bluetooth Device"
Hotplug: USB
Driver: "btusb"
Speed: 12 Mbps
  Driver Status: btusb is active
  Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe btusb"
1 Like

I managed to get the kernel rolled back to 4.19, by dd-ing my manjaro usb to an i3 build with the proper kernel. My VivoBook is fully functional now.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by