Manjaro i3 17.0.1

community-edition
i3
release

The Manjaro-i3 Community edition 17.0 is ready for download. (updated to 17.0.1)

features and changes since 16.10:

i3-gaps 4.13
i3status-manjaro 2.11
dmenu-manjaro 4.16-12 with recency- and mouse-support
additional categorized menu morc_menu
alsa pre-installed with install_pulse script for easy upgrade to pulseaudio
lightdm, pamac, manjaro-settings-manager and manjaro-hello
vertex-maia-themes and vibrancy-colors icons
lxappearance and nitrogen for customization
added lxinput for mouse and keyboard configuration
bmenu, ranger, moc and a variety of more CLI-utilities
compton, dunst, i3-scrot, i3-exit and conky
pcmanfm, palemoon, gimp, xfburn
viewnior, epdfview, manjaro-printer, vlc, hexchat, transmission-gtk, gparted, isousb
base-devel and yaourt pre-installed

Manjaro-i3 17.0-Beta1
Going for the jugular
Manjaro-i3 16.06 rc [stable]

Compared to 17.0 beta1, this Community edition appears to shut down more quickly and with less variation in shutdown time. Also for some reason pcmanfm is doing a better (less hesitation) job of exploring samba smb shared file systems on a remote file server. Thanks Manjaro i3 team.

I’m liking this release alot! Thanks, Oberon, for your awesome work.

One thing I have noticed, Ranger is previewing my images as an ascii image. W3m is installed and I am using urxvt. I have tried Ranger in xterm and it is doing the same thing. Am I missing something?

hmmmm. In that old monster ranger config file that I inherited from @handy there are some entries like

# Which script is used to generate file previews?
# ranger ships with scope.sh, a script that calls external programs (see
# README.md for dependencies) to preview images, archives, etc.
set preview_script ~/.config/ranger/scope.sh

# Use the external preview script or display simple plain text or image previews?
set use_preview_script true

# Use one of the supported image preview protocols
set preview_images true

I am sure that picture preview used to work fine some time ago, but I don’t use ranger … sorry! Might be some needed setting has changed there :confused:
Maybe try without that included β€˜scope’ script or check its content!

I deleted my scope file and recreated it (check the Ranger Wiki). That seemed to fix that issue for me. In my case it happend well before 17.0.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

i get watchdog errors at each restart, plus i cannot update via pamac, path to something is corrupted or does’t exist.
btw at the beninning of the installation the wizard told me that some feature won’t work, but it didn’t show which, just a white frame with a red [x] iirc.

watchdog errors you will typically see when you didn’t shut down properly before.

I’m afraid we need some more specific information there…

I don’t know which wizard you mean., β€œwhite frame with red [x]” doesn’t sound familiar to me, sorry;
also β€œsome feature” ? :wink: sorry. You need to be more specific.

fixed the white frame with the red x by reinstalling the OS booting as legacy instead of uefi/efi. The wizard i was talking about was calamares i guess.
cannot update via pamac-u because the β€œsomething” corrupted or invalid is a package. details shows something about certificates, i found another thread here where they are talking about how to fix, i’ll try that later. [Stable Update] 2017-03-20 - Deepin, KDE Framework, Haskell, Python, Kernels
edit: DONE

Now just need to reboot a couple of times to read and report to you the things about watchdog and other stuff.
so:
platform wdat_wdt :failed to claim resource 4
ACPI: watchdog: failed to create platform device
ACPI Error: [_SB.PCI0.GFX0.dd02._BCL] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20160831/psargs-359)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP.DD02._BCL] (NODE ffff8802468f30a0), AE_NOT_FOUND (20160831/psparse-543)
Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load rtl_bt/rtl18723b_config.bin.

plus there is no audio.
that fixed screen saver… what will happen if ill be away for 1 month?

add: this is a lenovo laptop, i couldnt make dual boot cause W10 restore partitions made me impossible to delete or create partitions, so i deleted everything, W10 included.

Hi, I’m a bit late to the party, but congratulations and thanks to all involved in release of the Manjaro i3 17.0. This is a great Linux distribution, my favourite.

By the way, I publish Vagrant boxes with Manjaro i3. If anyone interested, the boxes are available from GitHub and Vagrant Atlas.

My AMD Kaveri A8-7650k system 8gig+SSD has never had sound unless (1) install pavucontrol and then (2) run the pulse-install script.

However now with 17.0 in the last 3 days, after successfully installing pavucontrol and rebooting, after then running the pulse-install script, the system will never boot again. Have verified this several times on a fresh 17.0 install that only then has pavucontrol then pulse-install done to it.

17.0.1 will not even install at all, the system hangs up during boot for 37 seconds at the MHWD stage and then a blinking underscore and no boot.

Also if run pamac-updater on the 17.0 install now, the system will never boot again.

So am limited to installing 17.0, and never updating, and never running pulse-install script-thus no sound. Within these limits everything works ok, including opera/google-chrome-stable/libreoffice/dash/evince/libgsf/imagewriter/font-manager.

Also in general many of my 17.0 clients’ updates are not happening in the last 3 or 4 days.

25 second delay starting Opera with non-free Catalyst driver

I’m sure these are the same issues with the latest packages with black screens as you see everywhere on the forum since yesterday… :disappointed:
I don’t think that pulse itself is the problem, but the install script will trigger a package update and pull it whatever offends your system.
I recommend you look at these other latest issues on the forum and try to debug graphics drivers in the first place…

Hello, this spin seems rock solid and want to give it a try any time soon (whenever work permits it…). One question: can anyone comment on how i3wm, this config and the used apps hold up when using on a HiDPI (3200x1800) screen? Target to install on is a Dell XPS13 QHD. Thanks!

Question: do you guys get the right image previews using ranger?

I end up with ascii previews:

sander@xps /home/sander/Pictures/Screenshot from 2017-04-27 11-38-14.png                      
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ ansibl~β”‚ 2017-04-27-11~.png 2.17 M β”‚SX%X%%S%:;;t;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;t..@X::.                    β”‚
β”‚ Desktopβ”‚ 2017-04-27-11~.png 1.69 M β”‚SXSSX@SS;t%%ttt%tt%tttt%%%t%;t%St;.                    β”‚
β”‚ dev    β”‚ 2017-04-27-115~.png 844 K β”‚SX%Xt@SS;%%X;t%%%t@:tt%%%%tXSXX%t8S%;tt;tttt%t%ttttttttβ”‚
β”‚ Docume~β”‚ 2017-04-27-120~.png 935 K β”‚SXSXXS8t;%tt%%%S;ttt;t%Xttt%X::%;%%ttt;;tt%tttt;;ttttt;β”‚
β”‚ Downlo~β”‚ Screenshot fro~.png 618 K β”‚SX%XSS@%;St@ttttttS;t%;;%%%Xt@XX%88;%@SSt@t8%t@tX%Xt8t;β”‚
β”‚ Google~β”‚                           β”‚SXSSSXXSt%%%t%t%t%t;t%tSt%tX8@888@;t%:..:.: .........:.β”‚
β”‚ Music  β”‚                           β”‚SX%Xt@XS;S;%t%%%%%%t%t%tS;t%%X;;%tXtS@:Sttt.           β”‚
β”‚ Pictur~β”‚                           β”‚SXSXX%8%;t%X;%tS%%Stt%t%ttt8@X8X@ttt8;;:;S;:.          β”‚
β”‚ Public β”‚                           β”‚%X;Xt8SX;S;tt%Stt%St%tSt%%tSSX@8X@X@X;:....            β”‚
β”‚ Templa~β”‚                           β”‚%Xt@S%8t;ttXt;tS;tS%%ttSttt%888888;;;%t;;;tt;:.......;8β”‚
β”‚ Videos β”‚                           β”‚;8%Xt@S%;S;tt%tt%tX:t%ttS;t8XS8@@8@@S:::.:::t;;;;;;;;X@β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚%X%@S%@%;ttS;%t%t%ttt%%%tttXS88888@8X;:... .t;;;;;;;:t8β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚t8@X@@Xt%S%t;;:::::::::.:::;X888@8;t%t;t;;;;::::::::::tβ”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚;t:;t%;:::::..... ... . .. t888888@8St;:...............β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚XX@%@S;;ttt%X;;;:.        .tXt8tXt@;;%ttt;:...       . β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚:::ttt;:::::....          .;;@%XX%8;tS;t%tt;;:.....    β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚;;;tX%:...                .;.S@tS%t%X;t@tXt%tttt;..    β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚@8888888SXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX88XX888888@@XX@@888S@SX@8@@8β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚                                                       β”‚
β”‚        β”‚                           β”‚                                                       β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
-rw-r--r-- 1 sander sander 618K 2017-04-27 11:38                5.8M sum, 36.7G free  5/5  All

Relevant content of ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf:

# Use one of the supported image preview protocols                                                                                                                                          
set preview_images true                                                                                                                                                                     

# Set the preview image method. Supported methods:                                                                                                                                          
#                                                                                                                                                                                           
# * w3m (default):                                                                                                                                                                          
#   Preview images in full color with the external command "w3mimgpreview"?                                                                                                                 
#   This requires the console web browser "w3m" and a supported terminal.                                                                                                                   
#   It has been successfully tested with "xterm" and "urxvt" without tmux.                                                                                                                  
#                                                                                                                                                                                           
# * iterm2:                                                                                                                                                                                 
#   Preview images in full color using iTerm2 image previews                                                                                                                                
#   (http://iterm2.com/images.html). This requires using iTerm2 compiled                                                                                                                    
#   with image preview support.                                                                                                                                                             
set preview_images_method w3m                      

In the ranger wiki I see that a valid test is w3m xkcd.com. This works: for the first time I see an image crystal clear in a terminal :slight_smile:

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Hi. To get graphical preview open ~/.config/ranger/scope.sh file, comment out line with img2txt and add the following line:

# Ascii-previews of images:
    image/*)
#        img2txt --gamma=0.6 --width="$width" "$path" && exit 4 || exit 1;;
         cp "$path" "$cached" && exit 6 || exit 1;;

Briljant! Thanks.

This is a first and probably not the best place to post this, but early this morning I changed the keyboard layout in the system and now I I can’t log back in. Neither the admin nor the root password works. Can’t seem to find anything about this online, any ideas what to do about this? Thanks! :confused:

@oberon

Update: This problem has been solved guys. Sorry to take up your precious space and time! :wink:

Anyone else having invisible icons like this?

I.e look around the < & >. It seems to happen on certain themes. I notice it in the file manager and in thunderbird

It depends on the combination of gtk and icon theme. Looks like you are using a bright gtk-theme plus a β€œdark” icon-theme…

Yup, looks that that is the problem! Thanks

Is it possible to add a shutdown/power button in i3 status??? :smiley:
just curious
if it possible…how to

i know mod + e for exit