Manjaro hardware - StationX Spitfire Special Edition

laptop
hardware
manjaro
project-sx
stationx

The question is >> Will there be a Manjaro branded Super key too? I see in the past they have all other distro brand but Manjaro.

I guess if this brings in a couple of bucks to keep things moving more smoothly then good for Manjaro.

I would like to see any extra revenue spend on solving already existing problems though like a working suspend system on Nvidia and a more robust installer and graphics installer.

Yeah, it will. After all, branding is the only thing really going for this laptop. They couldn’t forget that. Everything else is just peptalk.

Unfortunately, at 1,100 USD starting price, it is only enough to get you a white logo.

Isn’t it more rare to be able to get a laptop that has Linux or even one that is no-OS?

Not everyone wants to pay for a Windows laptop when they are going to wipe it off immediately and install a Linux OS on it, even if the installation is easy so long as there is hardware compatibility. Why give Microsoft vendors the misleading impression that they have got an additional Windows laptop purchase in their statistics?

I know this is an idealistic view and some may not be able to afford this option. That’s fine. This is just an option.

It’s not the first Linux laptop around, as there is Tuxedo Computers or System76 (looks like the same external shell), but I hope it does well. Perhaps in certain countries Linux laptops are more common, but it’s not commonplace everywhere.

Phil has already mentioned that much of the underlying optimisation will benefit all of Manjaro, not just this laptop.

I’m a bit mixed on having a piece of hardware that is quite expensive, but then if you want to make a good impression with your launch product you might as well make sure it’s decent quality. Plus, for low-volume sellers the base hardware is already expensive (say, e.g., £700 for a £1000 machine).

I’ll be sticking to my ex-corporate Thinkpads and discounted last-gen rebadges, but for people who want a snazzy new laptop which runs Manjaro really well - this one looks good.

With the optimisations and customisations Phil and Bernhard have made I’m hoping this will show off Manjaro to its best. :slight_smile:

I leaved Ubuntu and one reason was because of their business ideas have influenced their approach on GNU/Linux and Open Source in a bad way with KDE. Which was not the first problem with their behavior.

Reading this announcement I less have a problem with an expensive hardware I can’t buy, but with some expressions:

“We, the Manjaro team have created a very special edition of our flagship XFCE distribution fully tuned to the Spitfire. From intricate kernel tweaks, to streamlined settings, and even custom changes to battery, cpu, and even sound settings – the Spitfire has now become the ultimate Manjaro Machine.”

That sounds like one hardware out of all will get better support. And that sounds like against the idea of GNU/Linux. Maybe the approach needs time to adjust and I first continue to trust the Manjaro team.

One more symbolic problem: what does the Manjaro Logo on the top of the lid? For example if I for the use of applications want to change the OS it suddenly looks stupid. Like the windows logo on my laptop.

Just yesterday I saw the documentary “Revolution OS”, about GNU/Linux and it’s history and the model of making a living out of the Linux environment. I recommend to see it! You will be very clear about the idea what GNU/Linux and Open Source is meant to be. And maybe see more clear some problems with Manjaro trying getting parly financed this way.

On the other hand I like good working hardware. So I am looking forward to a better future and the things changing.

“Myth” would be more dispelled if I were to be turfed…

(Actually my user name comes from the days when I set up a separate MythTV box from scratch on old hardware and geeky bits of linux and bailing wire and bubble gum).

I’d like to see 64 Gig of memory option.

I have no problems spending coin on decent hardware, but… no KDE option?

:disappointed:

Along with other considerations of an economic nature, these are precisely my issues with these type of projects. Thank you for such a leveled response that calls for reflection.

And “The Code” is another documentary that can’t be missed by anyone interested in the principles that drove the people that put this software in our hands to carry on their legacy.

This is a business strategy that benefits first and foremost Station X. It is unfortunate that the Manjaro Team got lured into it. The company prices and hardware are not competitive in the laptop market. Even among other Linux hardware vendors. In addition the support that companies like Station X offrer are nightmarish for users with broken laptops, that actually need to ship them, instead of benefiting from local representatives. And not to forget they only offer 1 year support on this type of hardware, which some users rightfully consider consumer suicide. Last, the fact the company really only ships to Europe (and not even the whole continent).

So, for all these reasons, this product will have very little impact in the community, with many preferring to choose better and cheaper hardware to branding being offered at a premium price. And yet the Manjaro Team just committed itself to it with their time and resources with a whole bunch of hyperbole statements from the hardware vendor. Manjaro has a commitment now to support with code a piece of hardware that will represent an infinitesimal part of its user base. And without knowing the terms of their agreement, I will risk adding that the Manjaro Team will have that commitment for as long as the hardware vendor decides to keep the so-called special edition.

And all for what exactly? For something that just like you say, doesn’t even represent the ideals of a free as in beer Linux operating system and the decoupling of hardware and software which is one of the cardinal principles of both the Linux and the GNU projects.

But that’s fine, I guess. Between the 90s portrayed in Revolution OS and the late 2010s, much has changed. The Linux community has grown substantially and so its culture has changed. Minds are more open now to relationships like these. Others can’t even comprehend how this can be a problem. But I am getting old. Old enough to not fear what the future will hold because I won’t be here to witness it. And I know that I still have one or two more good decades of Linux ahead of me. Just about what I need.

I am all for spending more money to get a quality product.

That being said, what makes this or any of Station Xs products higher quality? They appear to be moderate performing machines at a premium price point.

I see a Manjaro KDE (Arch Linux) drop-down here:

Yeah. That’s a deal breaker for me.

I think this is absolutely BRILLIANT! foreword thinking. Many questioned Jobs, Gates, Bezos, … What they all have in common is they made it easy for the cattle to feed.

This laptop is not aimer at anyone on this forum, we all have working systems. Get it???

Genius!

What the world needs is a Linux based laptop with real security and privacy without advertising. and snooping.

I started with Manjaro some 3 years ago, didn’t know jack about Linux. Manjaro was 17th on distrowatch

These developers and community made it easy and fun to learn, Thanks too all!

The only problem might be support for this laptop. But this forum as a social network is a great start…a new model.

You have to start somewhere!

cool and well done! When is the stock offering?

:wink:

You don’t have this option ? image

Also as a side note. The existence of an ISO called “manjaro-xfce-sx-17.1-dev-170828-unstable-x86_64.iso” and all that will come, has already a great deal of stuff that will be helpful for most laptop users, with or without dual GPU … just saying …
I think is great what is going on with this project.

Just some trivia… this post makes sense now :wink:

This is a very good move.
Looks nice & performing.
One cannot use crap as flagship and the very existence of such hardware does in no way create a problem for those who cannot afford it.
This is the essence of open source : a project (the very OS) that is free and a (or several) product(s) that help finance the project.

Will there be affiliation opportunities ?

I think it is nice that there is a manjaro laptop available. I like ultrabooks and aluminum chassis. I probably cannot afford it though, especially if UK goes forward with brexit (hello import tax). For a linux laptop I would probably need to go with Slimbook katana because of lower price and availability of finnish keyboard. That would be in the same price range as the nearest windows alternative, Lenovo Ideapad 710s. And all of these are still cheaper than used MacBook pro with similar specs. So for someone looking for a Manjaro alternative to MacBook pro, this is probably an excellent choice.

I hope that in the future we could maybe have more this kind of projects. Slimbook has the kde branded laptop and has Antergos as system option but no Manjaro. I wonder if they would be interested in something like this? Also, a chromebook alternative like the Elementary OS toting Litebook (https://alpha.store) might be more accessible to more people.

Can someone elucidate the point of a “Manjaro laptop”?
What benefits can we expect from it, and by we I mean the people who do not own this Manjaro laptop?
Will a certain percentage of the sale price come back to Manjaro as some sort of donation?
Will Manjaro offer support for this hardware, and if yes, under what conditions?

And:
Shouldn’t Manjaro’s resources be spent on more important things?

I have been playing around with the manjaro-sx dev builds, and they have gotten more and more polished. What you can expect based on my limited experience is as follows: 1) Pamac has a new GUI and seems more responsive than it has been lately, 2) Boot time was greatly improved 3) TLP GUI and Plugin and 4)XFCE-gtk3 fully tweaked with new XFWM4-gtks compositing working and from my experience tear -free so far.

So for XFCE I see some big improvements. For the rest of us I see better boot times, easier tlp configuration, and some visual improvements at the very least. I am happy they have this out becasue quite frankly sometimes you need to do things that make you happy or pique your interest. It was something the developers were motivated to do, and evidently had fun doing it. Just keeping it fresh it looks like.

Congratulations to the manjaro team!
Thoughts: I have to ■■■■■■■ buy that thing right now.

You’re a bit late to the party :slight_smile:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/coin/28774?source_topic_id=30932