Manjaro - Feedback - some issues

Regarding the hype, for me, it was disappointing.
Normally, I do not use Switch user, I just accidentally cklicked on it. There is no OS where I wait 90 seconds for relogin. I feel, with Manjaro (KDE) some things are worse compared to Ubuntu or Windows. I cannot understand the hype, but I am just unlucky having new hardware.
Since in 6 month a new Ubuntu LTS is released, it is a bad time for a long-term system now.

But feel free to give suggestiob, currently I haven’t switched back to Windows.

I have Manjaro Linux and Windows 10 Pro on my computer.

I do not have to switch back to Windows.

I am using Linux since 1995 - so more than 25 years.

I am not disappointed by Linux due to security reasons.

1 Like

So your experiences with unbuntu are probably down to the new release of gnome? Unfortunately the latest version of gnome was released with bugs not fully fixed. Gnome 4 and kde are both under development atm and bugs will get fixed quicker on a rolling release like manjaro. Like I said in a previous post try a few different desktops in a vm/usb and see if you find something that is more stable on your system. There’s so many community editions as well as the official

Manjaro is not behind any hypes.

People are creating hypes and everyones mileage varies due to countless hardware combinations.

Then take into consideration the overwhelming majority of personal computer systems which is not created with Linux in mind but Windows.

Hardware support for the Linux kernel is almost always an afterthought if considered at all and the kernel modules available is credited to relentless opensource enthusiast reverse engineering windows drivers.

So when you are disappointed - don’t be disappointed with Linux - be disappointed with the hardware vendors which supports Windows - then - if at all - Linux.

Convey some gratitude towards all those unknown enthusiast who have made the Linux kernel possible - and all those developers creating open-source free - as in free beer - for you to download install and use - without ever supporting the developer(s) with as much as a thank you.

If you value stability over latest build you shouldn’t use Manjaro.
There is a couple of distributions providing the core experience of Gnome and KDE

• KDE Neon (Ubuntu LTS base)
  • Fedora using Gnome
  • Oracle Linux UBEK (Redhat 8) (Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel) using Gnome
6 Likes

In contrast, this is the best Linux, no - Operating system - I’ve ever used!

It worked like a charm, straight after just installing on my computer. Better than Ubuntu, from which I came.

But then, I didn’t come here expecting to do nothing and everything to work. Yet that was the case.

7 Likes

It’s normal to explain your bad experience and you have the completely right to do it
Maybe your hardware is too new i don’t know i’m just a noob, personnaly all works great for me, no bugs anywhere (except in Deepin but it’s Deepin cause absolutely not Manjaro fault) just a few configurations difficulties for exemple i’m actually fighting with midi sound i will have to ask help soon, but these kind of setting difficulties exist for any OS even in Windows, isn’t it the reason of Windows forums existence?

Hello, compared to Linux Mint Manjaro is buggy.

The question had already been asked but i volontary re-ask if you come from Mint so why don’t you try Cinnamon? Once again i assume it’s all full strong and stable on Manjaro

Good luck and don’t give up :wink:

My recommendation would be to try to have your issues troubleshot and fixed. As already said, for the vast majority of people Manjaro is a proper, good experience, but it is possible that with some hardware combination and some software update that some thing may go wrong at some point, but from my experience there is always a solution.

You will need to invest some of your own time to have your issues fixed, as pointed already this was your first post here with no time spent at all on the forum to try to find solutions to your issues.

Also, I think @Matoka should create separate topics specific to the problem being faced, rather than just pouring everything into an ensemble. That would be easier to be followed and solved by the forum members.

4 Likes

I’ve enjoyed using Manjaro for several years now. Manjaro messed up my system on the occasions that I messed up Manjaro first.

Had you cloned / backed up your system before mysteriously changing some settings, you could have avoided the reboot issues. Sometimes, good computer user practices save a lot of time and annoyances.

I think that trying new Linuxes, well, anything really, should be done after the question, ‘do I really need to change?’ The excitement and emotional gratification of something new and shiny may not meet the practical needs.

1 Like

Hello!
Regarding the boot problem, I found the reason: I installed ALL offered drivers for the graphics and maybe there is a conflict now.
The screen keeps black with this:
Screenshot, 2021-10-28 19:10:53 - Paste.Pics
In future, I can avoid this, but for collection: If someone knows a solution, pls link it for anyone with that problem. I will make a fresh install again.
My drivers:
Screenshot, 2021-10-28 19:13:56 - Paste.Pics

Maybe because we don’t know, and you probably didn’t keep track of everything you have done, and as it is a 5 days old installation, the proper thing would be to reinstall in the end, if you’re willing to give it another try. This way you start clean, you can then setup an initial snapshot from TimeShift (dont do the automatic snapshots, take a snapshot before a “yolo” change, or a big system update), and in case something breaks you could go back to the snapshot system state (I know I already said to get your issues fixed, but in the end starting over, and clean, could be a better idea, as the system is just freshly installed).

1 Like
1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How can I get firefox more fluid

I give Manjaro another try but the switch user bug (when having only one user) does not seem to be fixed by default:
434370 – Switch user fails
The bug exists since March.
Is there an option to hide this/these option(s)? I don’t need them currently and I want to avoid accidentally clicks.

Greetings ! That was quite an intro’ for a newbie… :thinking:

I’ve been running GNU/Linux since 2017 after leaving Windows. I’ve no regrets, personally. Even after a small series of minor niggles over the years, some of them my own fault being a newbie, of course. Which, I might add, is normal, and requires that you attempt to do a bit of investigative work on The Forum and Wiki(they’re literal gold mines of information).

There’s no reason why you can’t survive the transition over to Manjaro: I did after starting out on Linux Mint(Cinnamon). I’ve tried out plenty of DE’s and run Manjaro KDE as a daily driver. And it’s as stable as any decent rolling release can get. Manjaro IS stable, and KDE is highly polished.

It might be that at the end of the day an LTS distro’ might be better suited to your needs and expectations.

Semper Fi! :v:

2 Likes

Can you try to set this settings in the following file

/etc/systemd/logind.conf.d/override.conf

KillUserProcesses=yes

Reboot and see if you have the same behavior when trying to logout/login.

PS: better start opening new thread for each next issue now, because one thread for multiple issue is not really accepted in forum rules.

original is ini, so .d/xx.conf is also ini file :wink:

[Login]
KillUserProcesses=yes

can test:

• systemctl restart systemd-logind
  • loginctl show-user

Hello! Well, my post was a summary. Somehow, Manjaro runs flawlessly now. If there will still be issues, I can reopen the problems, of corse.

Regarding the Switch user options, there is a post from 9th October, but by now no solution. I link it here.
Black screen when using switch user or logout