Manjaro gnome freeze after 2020-03-24 update

Hi all, today i updated my system and rebooted.
Screen freezes when menu (or app list) is triggered. The menu bar still works and i am able to reboot. No problem at all with gnome classic or plasma desktop.

I use nvidia drivers 440 with xorg.

Any help? Is the bug confirmed?

Thanks,
Gio

Wayland or Xorg?

I think there is something with Wayland and one of the shell extensions - but I am not a Gnome user - please check the announcement for the update.

1 Like

I am using Xorg, but it is possibile that the problem is related to the process. I used the gui as usual...nobody can ask every user to read forum notes before every system update :sweat_smile:
Is there a possible fix?

Yet it is close to mandatory - as you can see.

I am a former Gnome user - been using Openbox window manager for the past years - and therefore - I have no idea.

1 Like

I think every user of rolling distro should pay attention when big updates come alive. Or just remember that every update should be done in TTY. I do it since September and did not have major problem. I always check updates in Pamac and when I see there are lots of packages I do not update there and switch to TTY. It is easy to remember and not time costly as repairing broken system.

1 Like

And nobody else (but you) benefits by keeping your system healthy.

1 Like

There is a fix! If you're not interested in reading notes before updates and just want to click ok, Windows is a solid fix.

Linux is exactly as you make it, that's the beauty of it. To be the owner of your own device. That takes a little work

2 Likes

I didn't mean to offend someone for the beautiful work made. My machine has a couple of years now and never had a problem with Manjaro.
I mean...why put a tool if you are not meant to use it? I will try to fix it...

Starts by disabling any extensions you might have. It seems some are causing issues.
Cheers,

Hi @rousou I had the same problem just after this last major gnome update and I fixed the freezing problem updating all extensions (and removing the ones I don't use) through the web browser.
After that, I just restarted the session and everything was fine again.

Hope it works for you.

All the best.

1 Like

Got this problems too, after updating all the extensions to latest version and disable all broken and unneeded extension then doing reboot the problem was gone.

Forum kindly sponsored by