Manjaro froze, after hard reset won't turn on

Hello! I’d like to preface this with the fact that I’m very new to linux.
My screen froze and nothing helped until I hard reset it. It turned on again then froze once more not long after, then my entire PC just would not turn on after a while. I’ve been fiddling with it all day and searching for answers on different forums (I suspect the freezing may have been because firefox?)
While fiddling with it I got errors saying things about the kernel and missing libraries and even tried to switch back to windows (I have it on dual boot) but windows popped up with an error message that was like yea your kernel is f’d, you need to reinstall from a disk or USB.

From what I understand a fresh install or downgrading my kernel might work, however I don’t know how to do this. I have a USB with manjaro on it, but I don’t know how to install it from the manjaro boot up screen.

Currently I’m on a majaro screen that says “Boot with open source drivers” and “Boot with proprietary drivers” and a few other things. I’ve tried both and they just turn my pc off.

I tried to figure it out on my own but I’m at a loss here and googling isn’t giving me the answers I’m searching for.

Thank you and I apologize if my situation is confusing or not well worded.

Hello,

Without knowing if the PC is a desktop or laptop, BIOS or UEFI, with hybrid GPU or just iGPU or dGPU, is hard to assist. Since you still have the USB installer, this would be the best approach:

This might also help

This, is not a common thing, and if is not a hardware issue, might want to check if you can reach BIOS settings first and make sure the Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled, and SATA is set to AHCI. Maybe you don’t even need to reinstall is just the the BIOS reset to something that is not convenient for your current installations …

1 Like

Thank you so much! I came back in the morning with a clear head and looked into these threads. I don’t understand a lot of the lingo and it frustrated me a lot last night, but after some googling I began to understand what I needed to do and was able to follow the instructions on a couple of these and managed to get back to the Manjaro installer!
It’s installing right now, I’m going to look more into the freezing and other errors I can remember so I can avoid them this time. Thank you so much for your help, especially when I couldn’t provide much information! I like Manjaro so far and I want to stick with it =)

Oh, and I just reread your last paragraph. The reinstall won’t be inconvenient since it’s only like my 3rd day of using linux, but I’ll look into that as well =)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.