Manjaro freezes on boot after upgrade

I hadnt run the updates in a while. But after i ran the updates from the software center, I rebooted and it freezes even before the login screen. I tried to use the console using ctrl+alt+f3, and then all the rest of the function keys, but, the screen was just…frozen, the computer was totally unresponsive. I waited for about 15 minutes, before doing a hard reboot using the power button. I dont know if this is a driver issue, because then, the console should have come up right? However, afterwards, I started manjaro using kernel 5.4, and that works fine! Any suggestions to resolve is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Heres the output of
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li

Currently running: 5.4.217-1-MANJARO (linux54)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux54
> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f91) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime            2021.11.04               false            PCI
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.11.04               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.11.04               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.11.04               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:05:00.0 (0300:1002:15d8) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-prime            2021.11.04               false            PCI
video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.11.04               false            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:

Warning: No installed USB configs!

So, keep using 5.4 and don’t use 5.10 (for now)?
You can also try the latest LTS kernel (5.15):

$ sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

Thank you that worked! :smile:
Installed and started using kernel 5.15. It works fine now :relieved: .

If you don’t mind my asking, what would you say the problem was? Was it the driver?

Impossible to tell: perhaps the logs from the failed boots hold some clues.
If the latest LTS kernel is working however I wouldn’t spend much/any time diagnosing this any further unless you really need to run 5.10.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.