Manjaro does't boot: "no filesystem type specified"

I’m really just an advanced noob…

So to be or not to be in chroot is a difficult question.

The only idea of what issuing commands from within chroot might be is to rightclick in the mnt folder where the partition is mounted in issuing update-grub.

Sorry for giving you a hard time.

It’s actually not.

You manjaro-chroot
The prompt changes.
You can now see your files - and examine/change them.
You can’t do that if you are not in chroot.

… I’m thinking - but right now I can’t come up with a better explanation …

that console file manager I mentioned (mc) … can really help you

You don’t have it in the live system.
If you are in chroot, and install it, you’ll have it.
But only there - not in the live system (when not in chroot)

That is, thus, also an indication on where you are … chroot or not.

Okay… thanks for the explanation.

I think I can confirm that while in chroot suod update grub results in the second message that freaked you out.

Thanks for all you help. I really appreciate it. I think to ask more of you would not be appropriate. Probably it needs a break till I can try once more.

yeah, try a bit.
you have some more background knowledge now - I hope

1 Like

I have. If I don’t succeed I’ll have to wipe the linux partition (if that’s possible when dualbooting).
Have a nice evening!

it is

But better would be to remember what you did to
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and
/etc/default/grub

and revert the changes
or possibly just post the contents of those files here
for others to have a look

anyway:
in the future, make it a habit to make a copy of the file you are going to edit
so you have something to go back to - by simply replacing the edited file with the copy of the original

As I said earlier I didn’t change /etc/default/grub and in /etc/mkinitcpio.config I only erased two words from this line – plymouth and plymouth-encrypt :

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap plymouth plymouth-encrypt resume filesystems"

sudo mkinitcpio -P
and
sudo update-grub

and then I got this message during boot:

mount:/new root: no filesystem type specified
[...] emergency shell
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

and what did you erase?

Is this not the line as it is now?

plymouth adds an additional layer of complexity, especially when working with encryption I’d avoid it like the plague :wink:

Actually typed that but must have erased it again:
“plymouth” and “plymouth-encrypt”

Meanwhile I changed it back, ran sudo mkinitcpio -P (which has some warnings in it), but update-grup doesn’t work. – The error message for update-grub says a folder and a file aren’t there. Isn’t this akward, too? Because in the live USB folders there is a grub folder in /boot and the file “grubenv”.

(All for a little cosmetic correction of the boot screen.)

But for tonight I think this is enough.
If I could give you a badge (for this forum), I would!

this should work

as should this:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap encrypt filesystems resume"

And reading this, I deleted plymouth as well, I think it was something that bogdan supposed to do, to get rid of the misaligned splash screen. Hence the supposed removal of the two words including plymouth.

So maybe the second line?

which folder, which file?
!
Show us what we cannot see - or we cannot help you :man_shrugging:

Post 43 in this thread!

… not good - provide info here, not back up in some other post.

make it easy on others to help you

Yes, sorry. I’ll post it:

/usr/bin/grub-editenv: error: cannot open `//boot/grub/grubenv.new': No such file or directory.
/usr/bin/grub-mkconfig: line 263: /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new: No such file or directory

that is from where I asked you whether you actually where in chroot or not

And I think I was. But thank you very I don’t want to ask any more of you. I’m just not capable enough to solve it right now. And you already did so much!

Have a nice evening. I’ll try to fix it tomorrow.

take it easy - it’s a complex subject
… don’t enable encryption when you are not sure that you are capable of dealing with when something goes wrong

… but, nonetheless, it’s rather easy to get to any precious data that needs to be recovered

Cheers!

@bogdancovaciu @Nachlese

I did it!

First I had the idea of trying to reinstall grub in chroot, because of the missing files and folders. Just a guess. This brought me to reinstalling pymouth in chroot which, as I said I removed before the errors began. Then mkinitcpio -P and upgrade-grub worked (better, as there still were warnings or missing stuff). But finally I could restart my manjaro. However with the misaligned splashscreen…

:rofl: