Manjaro doesnt work after switching to kernel 4.1

kernel
kernelpanic

Hey guys!
i recently switched the kernel from 4.4 to 4.1 because of that suspend issue. Maybe you have heard of that problem. Unfortunately manjaro doesnt work any longer. Nothing more happens after the loading screen. :confused:
Anyone out there who could help me?

Hi,

can cou boot your computer in to fail save mode?

At start up you will see the grub screen, select the second line in the menu for boot up with other options.

Why do you downgrade your kernel from 4.4 to 4.1 od do you mean 4.10?

And most important:
What is your hardware?

fail save mode doesnt work neither. Both boot options show the 4.1.39-1 kernel. what i did is following the instructions in that article: Suspend/Hibernate freeze so i used the command: sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux41 rmc
I got an acer r3-131t-p0sj if that helps you. :slight_smile:

Okay so is that what’s going on. My Lenovo X1 have been doing great for a while and now nothing works.
Is there a place i can read more about this.

Boot back into 4.4 and install and test the 4.10 kernel.

As already mentioned i cant do anything after the manjaro loading screen. There is just a black screen. I cant even log in to my account. Could somebody tell me how? Sorry i’m using manjaro just for a couple of weeks and have only a few knowlegde or experience about linux at all. :sweat_smile:

So you removed the 4.4 kernel? Really?

Or are you just not selecting it from the boot menu?

for the normal and fail back boot there is the 4.1.39-1 kernel. :confused: thats my problem.

So you removed the 4.4 kernel? <–requires an answer

If so, using the downgrade function may help you.

I’m going to be AFK for a few hours.

seems like. i told you that i am a newbie. :sweat: But somebody told me that one day everybody has to make that experience so i’m looking forward to fix it or better to repair it. Think i’m gonna boot manjaro from my usb-stick trying to get access to the home partition and backup all the data. Than i may use the chroot function to repair it step by step. Since i’m working with manjaro there hasnt been a lot of stuff i did so it isnt that grave but of course unpleasant. I got to learn a lot! But what i can say so far is that the manjaro community is incredibly reliable. :wink: Thanks!

After you booted and have the black screen, is there a blinking cursor?

If not: Press CTRL+ALT+F2. This should bring you to a terminal screen with a blinking cursor.

Then login with your username and password. Then on the command line enter

downgrade linux44

This should give you options to install a version of the 4.4 kernel. Choose the latest. When done, reboot by entering

sudo shutdown -r now

I guess the 4.4 kernel should be loaded by default then. If not try choosing it in the Advanced Options menu (as described here).

nothing happens. But in the advanced options menu i can press ‘e’ to edit the commands before booting or ‘c’ for a command line. it starts with grub> do you mean that? When i press tab then i can see a list of possible commands in which ‘downgrade’ is not listed.

No :smiley:
Let the computer fully boot with the 4.1 kernel until you end up with the black screen. Then proceed as described.

This is good advice. Just because you don’t see a graphical login does not mean Linux is not running.

Also @Jules, when looking to fix problems, going forward (to newer kernels) is usually better than going backward. And NEVER EVER uninstall a kernel till you know the replacement works. Using Manjaro Settings Manager is the easiest way to install and switch kernels.

i did but nothing happens by pressing ctrl alt F2 :confused:

Bad news. My last try would be to enter the Advanced Options in the initial Grub menu. There choose the 4.1 kernel fallback option. Hopefully that would get you to a working terminal.

yes indeed :smile: i’ve leart my lesson. i did not know all the possibilities of the settings manager. This is my next topic. And next time i want to be extremly sure what i am doing before i type something into the terminal againthat changes my system. That was way to risky.

guess its gone. but i will try to get access to the home partition by booting manjaro from my usb-stick saving the data and reinstalling manjaro. But anyways thank you! :wink:

Wait, You have a Home Partition? (Well done grasshopper!)

If so, you can just re-install manjaro from the latest ISO, and tell it NOT TO FORMAT /HOME and you lose nothing. No real need to copy it, as long as you tell the installer not to format it.