Manjaro Doesn't Boot Anymore

Hello Community,

I have Manjaro Linux (20.1 Mikah) installed. It worked flawlessly for a long time. But recently I had done a firmware update (its dual booted with windows) on Windows and after the update grub is gone and I have to get to run boot menu manually. Plus Manjaro just doesn’t boot with any kernel version, it shows a blank screen (with Legion printed on it ( I have a Lenovo legion y540)) for kernel >= 4.19 and for 4.14 kernel version it shows
iwlwifi error BIOS has WGDS but no WRDS.
I have tried to chroot into Manjaro by booting with live cd and doing pacman -Syu but that didn’t help.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello,

You need to reinstall grub as it was previously and depending if is a UEFI system or one with a Legacy BIOS.
https://forum.manjaro.org/search?q=reinstall%20grub
and then run sudo update-grub

1 Like

Ok thanks a lot, grub is back. But booting Manjaro still no luck. Any ideas?

What is the error now?

The same
Manjaro just doesn’t boot with any kernel version, it shows a blank screen (with Legion printed on it ( I have a Lenovo legion y540)) for kernel >= 4.19 and for 4.14 kernel version it shows
iwlwifi error BIOS has WGDS but no WRDS.

I have tried 4.14, 4.19, 5.4

As mentioned here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop/Lenovo#Legion_series
See the entry for y540 model. Install the 5.8 kernel, and use their suggested initramfs just in case.

Hmm 5.8.5 doesn’t seem to be available in AUR, tried with 5.8.3 and 5.9 still the same issue. Tried the initramfs change as well. 5.8.5 would be the only way to go? Will try to build from source.

What exactly are you doing?
Kernle 5.8 is available in Manjaro repos but needs to be installed trough mhwd
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux58

Did that, but it installed 5.8.3 and not 5.8.5 should be fine?

5.8.3 doesn’t work though.

5.8.6-1 is only available in testing and unstable. You could switch branches and update. At least that way you know if will work, or have to take another measure.

Ok, I’ve downloaded 5.8.5 from kernel.org and compiling it from source. Will check if it works.

Built from source, but stuck at
hibernation device not found and I’m dropped off to tty. The wiki page for Legion y540 mentions about hibernation and setting resume parameter, but I’m not sure how to go about it.

That means you have the resume in the HOOKS line inside /etc/mkinitcpio.conf but you do not have the UUID of your resume device inside /etc/default/grub on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line

Ok, I just did a reinstall with the new xfce. Had a separate /home and / partition, so was super easy. Works fine now. Thanks for the help @bogdancovaciu.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.