Manjaro doesn't boot after install - UEFI

I’m having a tough time to get Manjaro to boot.
[Background]: I had allocated 16GB to /boot/efi partition earlier.
It was working all fine, when I had 16 GB efi partition - I have used Manjaro with such a setup for 2 months. I didn’t have to configure anything, a fresh install from live USB worked.

[Current Situation] I later realized 16GB of partition for efi is not right and I wanted to shrink it to 1GB.
I have 1TB hard disk and 256 GB SSD - in which Windows 10’s efi partition is present (260 MB).
I wish to have seperate efi partitions for Windows and a seperate one for Manjaro.
For Manjaro’s efi - I want to allocate in the 1 TB hard disk. I’m assuming 1GB of EFI partition will suffice.
Fresh install from USB doesn’t seem to work anymore. Now, I have a system that doesn’t boot Manjaro. I tried fixing using manjaro-chroot as mentioned in previous answers here. But nothing seems to work. I don’t see an option to boot from hard disk too in BIOS. :frowning:

I also have system snapshots till day before yesterday - I tried restoring the system from timeshift. Even that didn’t work. I still am not able to boot to manjaro.
Please let me know if anymore information/logs are needed. :slight_smile:

Why? Where is that documented?

Please read the wiki UEFI - Install Guide - Manjaro

Thanks for the answer.
It was my mistake to allocate 16GB of Hard disk for EFIpartition. :frowning:

I’m planning to install Linux on SSD itself. Using Windows installed on SSD - gives a longer battery backup (nearly 6 to 7 hours), whereas using Manjaro installed on HDD - gave less battery backup(4 to 5 hours)

I’m now sharing the same 260MB of Windows EFI partition for /boot/efi
I installed Manjaro in SSD. So, now I can have a better battery backup of almost 6 hours after full charge. Also the system is faster in launching applications etc. now.

Hi rohith. I just fought this problem and the resolution (for me) was that the partition flags on the efi partition were not set correctly. I used manual partitioning for the install, and I think it set the flags wrong. I tried to install again and used KDE Partition Manager to partition and I don’t think that worked either. It think I finally used GParted for partitioning, and got the flags right. Somehow the “legacy-boot” flag was set, and when I got it turned off, the BIOS then recognized the drive (with the efi partition) as a bootable device.

I use a 100MB partition for my /boot/EFI. The partition contains stuff for Windows and multiple distros, though I use rEFInd, so I don’t install GRUB for the distros. My laptop uses GRUB though and still the same 100MB.

Hi, in think I’m having a similar problem.
Can you please elaborate on how you found out that legacy boot was default and how you solved it?
Assume I’ve never done any of this before (I haven’t!)

Many ways to do so.

One is to install efibootmgr package and launch it in terminal with sudo.