"Manjaro Ditches LibreOffice For Proprietary Garbage" by DistroTube

DistroTube is a Linux Youtuber who has been recommending Manjaro to his viewers as an easily installed Arch based distro. He always prefers to use FLOSS software except for nonfree drivers. So he doesn't like closed source software like FreeOffice.

In this video, he talks about Manjaro's decision about FreeOffice and he thinks the decision is wrong and he won't recommend Manjaro anymore if Manjaro puts FreeOffice into the ISOs. There are 2 reasons he says:

1. FreeOffice is crippleware. LibreOffice is more capable software.
  2. FreeOffice is closed source garbage.
4 Likes

I agree with him fully. There is no point in shipping crippleware when a superior LibreOffice suite is there. What I wonder is that majority of the community hated this decision, yet the team proceeds with a crippled office suite.

Of course, I can simply uninstall FreeOffice and install LibreOffice, but why they do this? Why a new Manjaro user should do an 'additional' step? What's the point? They are highlighting MS compatibility, but as per my own tests, LibreOffice offers better compatibility over FreeOffice even in the case of MS formats.

Edit: If they want to ship proprietary software, why not at least a better one?

9 Likes

You and this 'reviewer' [clickbaitor] seem to still miss key points

-this was a test - a sample ISO in RC ..
-this is not the exact way freeoffice will ship - already they are playing with enabling many of the 'pro' features such as interacting with doc and ODT and dark mode - thanks to manjaros feedback.
-at the same time calamares or another post-install tool will allow for software choice - which will end up pertaining to your office suite or snaps, etc.

And I cant skip the 'if shipping proprietary' ..
-dude almost everyone does, unless you are running one of the 12 or so FLOSS distros. steam. nvidia drivers. google chrome. etc. If you want that kind of distro go install one like Trisquel ... Manjaro was never that. Nor was Antergos, or Arch, or Mint ...

So, once again, some loudmouths have lost their poo and been flinging it at the walls for a few days over assumed slights that are totally blown out of proportion.
I invite you to actually take in the available information .. and you know, look at how things actually happen before spreading FUD.

12 Likes

Hey, I hope I didn't miss any of your point.

-this was a test - a sample ISO in RC ..

This is a sample ISO in RC. correct. But, I hope you won't disagree with me that this whole FreeOffice disco is about inclusion/(to be) shipping in Manjaro and the community is not good with the decision (or right now, proposal as it is in RC).

-this is not the exact way freeoffice will ship - already they are playing with enabling many of the 'pro' features such as interacting with doc and ODT and dark mode - thanks to manjaros feedback.

Why should the community care about what are their 'PRO' features and what are their "actual free" features? Who cares what they change now? The point I or some of we all are trying to make is that, why an inferior proprietary crippleware? LibreOffice, an open source, community driven office suite is already superior in any manner to the so called (Non)FreeOffice. Then why the community should care what are their PRO features, what now they're going to add in free version? why all this drama?

-at the same time calamares or another post-install tool will allow for software choice - which will end up pertaining to your office suite or snaps, etc.

yeah, the community can install ArchLinux also by following (difficult) steps. Why not FreeOffice follow the same calameres path? When the community is opposing a proposal in a neat distro, why Manjaro should pat the proprietary software?

-dude almost everyone does, unless you are running one of the 12 or so FLOSS distros. steam. nvidia drivers. google chrome. etc. If you want that kind of distro go install one like Trisquel ... Manjaro was never that. Nor was Antergos, or Arch, or Mint ...

Everyone do not dude! At least I'm not. Distrohopping is not everyone's routine. Everybody will not try dozens of distros. Steam is gaming. Nvidia proprietary drivers are for better gaming. When it comes to entertainment, let it be proprietary, no body cares. But, the software should be libre and LibreOffice is doing it fine. I don't really care about Google Chrome. I use Firefox & Brave.

First:

:tada:

I thought the gripe was about it not supporting file formats (cirppleware) .. so if because of feedback the free version supports those formats and other features that users want ... what is wrong with that? Doesnt that make some of the issues non-existent?
(and doesnt it somewhat speak to the merits of such cooperation? - especially since LO still isnt on-par with msoffice compatibility which is a HUGE barrier to linux and OS adoption in general)

This just doesnt make any sense to me ... so you dont want software choices at install now ?

I dont think you understand what libre means then ...

[and come on! seriously! brave! brave is very much a corporate pile of poo that masquerades as privacy-focused while actually tracking you - and touts its monetization of your browsing as a 'feature' ... hilarious. Your inexperience and inconsistency are showing... ]

7 Likes

Glad it won't be default in manjaro.
IMO i'm not a hardcore foss guy, so i don't really care if the software is closed source, the only thing that matters in the end is the quality of the software, i'd understand why people wouldn't want to change their libreoffice, it has been present in most of linux distros for a long time.

FreeOffice can't be Libreoffice and the other way around and some of the FreeOffice "features" are already in LibreOffice (Dark themes, etc), what Freeoffice can be or at least try is MS Office which i think is their goal rn, oh yeah and i appreciate the pretty UI.

This :poop:show gave me some interest on FreeOffice so i'll give it a try and see if it's better than Libreofffice overall (When the final manjaro package comes out)

3 Likes

Here's a screenshot of LibreOffice in it's Ribbon interface, i'd say that it's going great so far, but there are some bugs which are from materia.

The only things i'd like is to finally polish up the UI it seems kinda scrambled rn and better GTK 3 Support.

FreeOffice is Softmaker!!!

I thought the gripe was about it not supporting file formats (cirppleware) .. so if because of feedback the free version supports those formats and other features that users want ... what is wrong with that? Doesnt that make some of the issues non-existent? Doesnt that make some of the issues non-existent?
(and doesnt it somewhat speak to the merits of such cooperation? - especially since LO still isnt on-par with msoffice compatibility which is a HUGE barrier to linux and OS adoption in general)

It's a welcoming move. I'm not against it. I'm not good with the concept of seeking open source community's support for improving a proprietary office suite. I do not feel 'office' alone is a huge barrior for linux adoption. In my office, LibreOffice is doing an awesome job since more than an year without any issue (I use MS 2007-2019 DOCX formats). The only issue I face is with the hierarchial and other charts (I faced the same issue with FreeOffice too, but it works well with WPS). I also would like to know what FreeOffice can offer better than LibreOffice in terms of better MS compatibility.

This just doesnt make any sense to me ... so you dont want software choices at install now ?

I apologise for not understanding the concept of "checkbox". If Manjaro is not installing FreeOffice by default and is giving an option to get FreeOffice at the time of installation, it's a good move. It would be great if LibreOffice is also added in that list.

I dont think you understand what libre means then ...

As far as I understand, Libre means free and I meant it. Software should be 'free'(dom).

[and come on! seriously! brave! brave is very much a corporate pile of poo that masquerades as privacy-focused while actually tracking you - and touts its monetization of your browsing as a 'feature' ... hilarious. Your inexperience and inconsistency are showing... ]

I use both Firefox and Brave for different purposes. After using it for more than an year, I feel Brave is a lot better in terms of privacy compared to Chromium / Chrome. I do not see anything that tracks/fears me. I am ready to convince if I'm wrong.

And may be I'm inexperienced, but what's the 'inconsistency' part there?

On Manjaro 18.1-rc6 ISOs we ship FreeOffice by default. This is possible since we partnered up with Softmaker . Enjoy the best compability to MS Office !
If you like more a spartan version shipping only the desktop environment and systemd tools, please choose our Minimal-ISOs. On the final release we plan to make the office suite selectable during installation.

There isn't going to be a need to uninstall anything. You will simply be able to choose another office suite if you don't wnat freeoffice. But you already know this @avndp because it was pointed out to you when you tried to stir up the poo in the Stable release post.

1 Like

It seems Derek has not noticed this:

On the final release we plan to make the office suite selectable during installation
[Stable Update] 2019-08-01 - Kernels, fpakman, Firmware, KDE-Git, Browsers, Java, XFCE 4.14-pre3, Haskell

This thread should just be closed and added to the nonsense in
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/including-freeoffice-is-a-bad-idea-was-manjaro-roadmap/96754/326

@avndp already knows that freeoffice is merely an option they are just trolling the forums trying to stir things up.

3 Likes

This is my reply that you're referring to in Stable post: https://i.postimg.cc/43PnBHtD/image.png. I opposed the words of "to be able to open DOCX" and expressed my discomfort there. Your reply, yes I noticed it yesterday in notifications, but did not read it till now. I read it here, and I understood and I apologized.
My whole in whatever post is why to favour / support in any manner to an inferior software when an already established, superior LibreOffice suite is there? Be it inclusion in ISO or making it selectable during installation. "The better MS compatibility" they are promoting, I asked if anybody can explain what FreeOffice offers better than LibreOffice in terms of MS compatibility.

I don't want to mess up anything further, this will be my last post here.

@avndp already knows that freeoffice is merely an option they are just trolling the forums trying to stir things up.

Why this nonsense again?

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark