Manjaro disappeared from grub after botched update

Apologies if this is something obvious but I’m having issues getting back into Manjaro after the large updates today.

I ran pacman -Syuu this morning, but my system crashed half way through the installation. On rebooting, I couldn’t get back into Manjaro.

Since then, I’ve booted off USB, used manjaro-chroot to install all the updates (which appears to have been successful), but now Manjaro has disappeared from the GRUB menu.

I’ve tried running update-grub (again from manjaro-chroot), all that it’s showing is a very old Ubuntu partition. Both Manjaro and Windows should also be appearing.

I think the installation is still there - certainly my data is, and when I do manjaro-chroot it gives me options for both Manjaro and the old Ubuntu installation. I can manually boot into Windows /Ubuntu by selecting them in BIOS. But when I choose Manjaro, I just get the same GRUB prompt with only Ubuntu selectable.

The output for update-grub does show various warnings/errors -

[manjaro /]# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create
new boot entries.
ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid
Found Ubuntu 23.04 (23.04) on /dev/nvme0n1p5
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Root filesystem isn't btrfs
If you think an error has occurred, please file a bug report at
"https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs"
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
Found memtest86+ EFI image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.efi
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.

I think my OS is probably still there, I just need to find a way to add it to grub (or even bypass GRUB).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Two more things you could try whilst in manjaro-chroot; reinstall your kernels and reinstall grub. To list your kernels:
mhwd-kernel li
and then to install them
pacman -S linuxXXX linuxYYY
To reinstall grub check here for all options, for your UEFI most likely:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

1 Like

Reinstalled the kernels got me back in, then running update-grub from there got all the OS’s back.

Thank you so much for your help 6x12!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.