Manjaro detects the wrong GPU which is resulting in poor performance and hangs on native games

Yeah in the thread the OP was faced to the same problem, but adding amdgu and radeon to MODULES= should help, instead of only amdgpu. Sorry, i dont use a amd gpu just saying what happened there and it worked somehow for him.

Ok … that could be a difference … I neglected to add radeon as the secondary module.

But … now that you mention it … I think its a problem with the experimental package (this is actually my first time recommending it! :blush: )
It seems it adds a few more things . namely

# enable Display Core for Linux >=4.15
options amdgpu dc=1
# Add 10bit color support
options amdgpu deep_color=1
# Enable experimental hardware support in generall
options amdgpu exp_hw_support=1

Whereas I would have just done boot options:

radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1

or

radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1

(depending on whether it was southern or sea island and along with mkinitcpio)

So its possible that something like the dc option is actually the issue.

In any case … sure … I agree … might as well try the manual/minimal way and see.

2 Likes

I’m not an AMD user neither, but doesn’t that point to a hardware problem?

:scream:

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure I understood the solution linked by megavolt but here’s what I did:

• Created the file /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf, containing options amdgpu cik_support=1
  • Created the file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf, containing options radeon cik_support=0
  • Edited the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf so that the line MODULES= is set as MODULES=(amdgpu radeon)
  • Ran sudo mkinitcpio -P and rebooted.

Now Manjaro is booting normally and inxi -Gazy gives me this output:

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: amdgpu v: kernel alternate: radeon bus ID: 00:01.0 
  chip ID: 1002:9850 
  Device-2: Cheng Uei Precision Industry (Foxlink) type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  bus ID: 4-1.2:4 chip ID: 05c8:038f serial: <filter> 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting 
  alternate: fbdev,vesa display ID: :0.0 screens: 1 
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1600x900 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 423x238mm (16.7x9.4") 
  s-diag: 485mm (19.1") 
  Monitor-1: eDP res: 1600x900 hz: 60 dpi: 106 size: 382x215mm (15.0x8.5") 
  diag: 438mm (17.3") 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD KABINI (DRM 3.38.0 5.8.3-2-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.1) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.6 direct render: Yes 

So it is now using amdgpu and DRM3, though it still reports the GPU as being a Radeon R3 Graphics.

Problem is, I still get the same hangs when starting native games… Did I do anything wrong?

1 Like

I have what seems to be a similar issue and hope for some help here: apologies if I have the format of this post wrong - please advise. Running the 5.10 kernel.

I want to install Vulkan to run Orbiter2016 under Wine (specifically PlayOnLinux) which runs fine with DX9. I have installed Vulkan libraries from the AUR - I think!

I have seen iVoid’s post from Sep '20 (last before this) but have not tried those mods yet - not experienced in kernel mods and I don’t want to mess up an otherwise working system! And the thread stopped without confirmation that applying only the fix recommended by iVoid (and nothing from earlier in the thread) would work.

Here is my CLI output:

$ vulkaninfo
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/amdvlk32.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib32/amdvlkpro32.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.50.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : terminator_CreateInstance: Failed to CreateInstance in ICD 0.  Skipping ICD.
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.169/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:248:vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
$ inxi -Gazy
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Venus XT [Radeon HD 8870M / R9 M270X/M370X] vendor: Apple 
  driver: radeon v: kernel alternate: amdgpu bus ID: 01:00.0 
  chip ID: 1002:6821 class ID: 0300 
  Device-2: Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Display) type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  bus ID: 1-1.5:4 chip ID: 05ac:1112 class ID: 0e02 serial: <filter> 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: 
  loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa 
  display ID: :0 screens: 1 
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 676x380mm (26.6x15.0") 
  s-diag: 775mm (30.5") 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD VERDE (DRM 2.50.0 5.10.18-1-MANJARO LLVM 11.1.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.4 direct render: Yes 
$

Any help appreciated.