Manjaro Deepin won't boot, need partition scheme

Hello, after a year, almost two working on Ubuntu, I decided to switch on Manjaro. The problem is that I’m struggling for several hours to figure this out.

The thing is that I have a laptop which had only Ubuntu and my PC with a 250 GB SSD and 1TB HDD and I decided to migrate from windows to Manjaro.

I followed so many answers on Stack, Reddit, I simply don’t know what else to do.

I really need a partition scheme and a way to fix this issue if i will ever encounter. I need something in a way that my SSD should be only for system files, and my HDD for games. The PC is strictly for gaming (Lutris, Steam, etc.), you might be asking why I’m doing this, beacuse I also want to study and I prefer having Linux with 3 of my favourite games, rather than Windows with games that drain my time.

As far as I know, Lutris is trying to install it’s things where’s the root folder, is it possible to make it download and install it’s games on the 1TB HDD and have no problem? The last partiton scheme I’ve done was like this :

On SSD :

• 512 mb ; fat 32, /boot/efi and esp flag
  • 6 GB ; ext4, /usr/
  • rest of it ; ext4 , /

On HDD :

• 6 GB ; ext 4 , /var/
  • 20 GB ; ext4 , /usr/local
  • 20 GB ; ext4 . /var/log
  • rest of it ; ext4 , /home

Surprisingly Manjaro installed, when I rebooted I got this error Root device mounted succesfully but usr/sbin/init does not exist. Bailing out you are on your own. God luck. \ sh : can't access tty : job control turned off

My PC specs are : AMD Ryzen 5 1500X , nvidia GTX960 and 8GB RAM, I’m writing this from my laptop which runs Kubuntu 18.04.

tl;dr : I need a partition scheme for an SSD and HDD, to install Manjaro on SSD and install games (Lutris, Steam) and other things on HDD

Your partitioning scheme looks too complicated, so I believe you know what you are doing and why. If you don’t, please explain what you want to achieve and why you selected this.

From your error message, it seems either the installation was unsuccessful, or your disks may not be properly recognized during the boot process.

You might chroot to your system and troubleshoot why /usr/sbin/init is not seen, but I suspect you will find some errors first, so post them here.

Please don’t ask about chroot. You made it difficult yourself, so maybe you like …difficulties… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oops wrong thread.

what your asking for and what youve created for partitions are what im assuming was the result of a reddit/stack multi-opinion poorly advised solution??

right now my sda is used for storage/games/timeshift backups and my sdb has an efi partition, 1 ext4 for my manjaro/openbox install and another ext4 for manjaro/kde install. i chose not to bother adding a separate home partition because i backup with timeshift regularly to me sda drive.

>>> lsblk -l                                                                                                                                                                                                     
NAME MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda    8:0    0 238.5G  0 disk 
sda3   8:3    0  41.7G  0 part /run/media/dglt/kdebackup
sdb    8:16   0 232.9G  0 disk 
sdb1   8:17   0   272M  0 part /boot/efi
sdb2   8:18   0 134.9G  0 part /run/media/dglt/4c0b06a5-8c8a-4639-b219-15bac6da9ffc
sdb3   8:19   0  97.8G  0 part /

you can do separate /home partition, alot of people do. but do you have any reason for all of those other partitions?

for future reference, if you want good manjaro assistance this forum is second to none, not to mention the manjaro wiki. most questions can be easily answered with a quick forum search and if you still cant figure it out, the community here is always glad to help.

Yeah I mostly made that partition scheme from different places.

The thing is that on my SSD i made a new volume (GPT) and then allocated 512 MB /boot/efi and the rest only for root.

On the other side I did the same new volume (GPT) on my HDD and I made the wholen thing /home.

When I pressed install i got a big error coming from my HDD that can’t do the format or something I don’t remember, is it beacuse it’s GPT too?

What I’m trying to achieve is that I want no games, media files, anything that’s not a software on my SSD, and I’m also “afraid” of Lutris that it’s going to install its games on SSD and not on the HDD

I never had to deal with 2 separate storages, as on my laptop I usually create an /boot/efi partition and leave it alone, not even a /home folder so I don’t know how to not screw up

And so…why are you doing this type of partitioning?
There are several things needing handling. Like…
usr hook in mkinitcpio
fstab entry of usr and var with 0 0
& other things that I don’t know.

I don’t know how to swim but can anybody tell me how to decompress at 10 meters after a 55 minutes dive at 70 meters. Is there another stage prior to this I should take? Please help!!!

So can you tell me how should i proceed or am I dropping this thing?

Your partitioning setup is way too complicated.
Where did you get that from?

You only really need 4 partitions maximum:
/boot (for EFI)
/
/home
swap

Do not mess with /usr or /var unless you know what you’re doing.

I got it from reddit :confused: Where swap should be on the SSD or HDD

If you are worried only for Lutries or for a couple of programs, you should check how/where they are installed on the file system , where they keep cache and temp files and then decide.
Some programs are designed to install on /opt , others at /usr/local.
You may also sometimes manually set them to install where you want.

Randomly doing things about your system, without knowing why, doesn’t make sense for a not experienced user, that eventually will break your system.
These things are for experienced users, that know how to solve possible system failures. Until you gain some experience, I suggest you start from a simple scheme and after you notice some problem, or misbehavior, then try to remedy.

Note to self: one more xyproblem

I’d put it on the SSD.
I would put everything on SSD except maybe /home, where your personal data is (or might be) stored.
It always depends on what you want to achieve, but it’s best to keep things simple.

EDIT: Lutris allows you to choose where to install the games. Normally they go into ~/.

Everything is fine but one quick question. My SSD is /dev/sdb and my HDD is /dev/sda .
When I hit dd i can see that /home is mounted on my HDD which is good but I don’t see my HDD on Internal Disk tab on Deepin’s file manage, only my SSD and swap partition.

I’m asking this beacuse I want to see how much space left on my HDD (home folder) on the file manager.

So you have installed successfully?

Please mark the 1st post that described your actual problem, as the solution.

I run deepin (same partition format as you, but all on one physical disk) and the deepin file manager only shows the / partition under internal disk. But i also have the dolphin file manager installed that shows what you’re looking for (I use it for the split view option when copying), and also gnome-disks that’ll do the same.

closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.