Manjaro-Deepin edition on hold

Thanks for taking the time to respond to various posts and issues on this thread.

Really appreciate the explanation about the golang packages.

With regard to deepin-compressor, I don't use deepin file manager at all.

1 Like

I'm using this Manjaro Linux since 11/May/2019.

I'm noticing a log of bugs and ended in this topic with a lot of information and others users sharing they problem.

I don't know how to install the kwin, tryed to install the deepin-kwin and rebooted but I still get a logout after see my desktop. I need to remove deepin-wm.

This have anything to do with the lightdm?

There's a post or something that explain better the change from the deepin-wm to deepin-kwin and what I need to remove/add to get my distro on track of updates?

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.0.3
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Lysia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

I managed to login after I downgraded the startdde after read that here by another user, but I still don't understand the kwin thing.

This is what you need to do for the problem where you can't login:

1 Like

I did that and worked with all packages updated. Also I run a screenfetch and the result tells me that the WM is KWin.

The deepin-kwin thing:
kwin & deepin-kwin are not the same. You need deepin-kwin for deepin.

If you install deepin-kwin it will use deepin-kwin (default)
If you don't install deepin-kwin your using deepin-wm (default)
If you remove deepin-kwin your back on deepin-wm

No need to uninstall deepin-wm. deepin-wm manager will eventually be fazed out.

1 Like

Until we will pick up the support of Deepin in Manjaro, I've removed our modified packages. Expect more Deepin updates to our testing branch soon.

4 Likes

Thank you for explain it.

1 Like

Thanks for these instructions, since the last update yesterday my system was looping with a login screen as well. This was the solution.

2 Likes

have this light
failed to start light display manager at stortup any i idear how too fix or where too get a beta download

Yeah, today after the new (Arch-Update) Resolution Settings is working again. I installed a pure arch VM for testing purpose. And I'm going to create a Manjaro-Deepin VM as well, to do updates there first, before applying them to my main system.

I think after deepin V20 beta is over it might become more stable, there are plenty of updates nearly every day. The deepin top bar is interesting ... the printer manager might become a great newcomer ... I'm very excited about the V20. In my opionion the best desktop across all distributions and operating systems as well that can change the pc world fundamentally.

This might be going a bit too far.....

That being said, glad you found a DE you like. One of the great things about Linux, is that there are so many choices. Even the UI can be replaced.

2 Likes

Deepin was and still is the only DE that provided UI and UX that i was able to switch from windows not only without pain but started missing some features when i have to work on windwos @ my company.

Deepin is also the first reason for me to have an option to really suggest linux for "standard users".

Because of the current problems with the deepin v20 beta, i tried lots of other modern desktops again - but no one of them maked me happy.

And now China moving towards linux, investing lots of money and power into this project, might give the whole deepin story a nice backing. I hope the Desktop will stay open source and China is not becoming crazy at this ...

For me, Deepin has the potential to be the changer in linux desktop that other desktop environments did never archive. It's not only the desktop, don't underestimate all their tool additions. They make the desktop complete and finished.

4 Likes

light failed to start light display manager i have now idear how too fix it or how too get out it

Restore your backup. :hugs:

1 Like

xd gezz gezz will be doing that from now on

1 Like

Without pain? I can't even switch to Deepin from KDE without pain. From Windows, I just don't buy it.

And if it goes closed source (which I'll bet dollars to donuts happens in the near future), it's gone from a nearly defunct DE to a dead one to me and many Linux users. If I'm going to use something with a ton of telemetry, I'll just use Windows. At least I know everything works.

7 Likes

Actually, the desktop is the only part of Deepin DE that I like. I don't like the accessories that come with it.

For instance, the file manager is the ONLY one ever to seek to mount /dev/sda whenever I open it and have the password dialogue window pop up, even though my Archdeepin partition is installed on /dev/sdb and my fstab does not even mention any sda partitions. It's annoying so I just ignore it and installed Thunar and pcmanfm.

Also don't like their terminal (no option to "select all" output in terminal) and music manager, among other things.

Essentially I just use the desktop itself and ignore the rest.

1 Like

Do you know if there is a way to have the Deepin File Explorer be the system file picker instead of what I think is Dolphin? Generally I have this issue where all of the QT applications have some hideous dark theme with very limited contrast under DDE, but they have a normal light theme under KDE.
The other annoyance with the file picker being different from the default explorer is that bookmarks for example aren't being synchronized.

You can turn off Auto mount in file manager settings.

2 Likes

I tested the new multi display interface extensively and found one very annoying problem.
I have 3 displays connected to my pc: Main Screen, 2nd display and a TV. (They are on 3 different locations in the room and I use them according to where I'm sitting and what I'm actually doing.)
As soon as I turn on the TV, the PC and Deepin recognize this. (There is a short black out on all displays.)
The Problem: if the TV (actually the receiver) is set to the TV input (so it is not displaying the PC image), Deepin still places newly opened programs on that invisible screen. I either have to switch the receiver to the PC input and move the window back to my main screen (which is defined in Deepin Display Settings as the main screen) or I have to chose to Copy the content across all displays. (This is a nightmare as the displays have different resolution.)
What is missing is a setting in the multi display menu to set one display as the one and only exclusive display. This menu item was present in previous versions but got replaced by the new customize options.
Maybe Felix @felixonmars could relay this problem to the developers. Would be great, because the way it is now, is very annoying.

Forum kindly sponsored by