Manjaro crashes during RAM-intensive tasks after hard drive replacement

Hello,

my laptop crashes in seemingly unpredictable time intervals. I started to have this problem when my old hard drive (original HDD-hard drive of the Thinkpad L512) gave up and I replaced it with a new SSD-hard drive from Scandisk Intenso 256 GB 2,5" SATA III. The reason why I suspected that it may not be a failure of the hard drive was that the crash always occurred only when I requested some RAM-intensive tasks, for example reloading four or five tabs in Firefox with YouTube-videos. The problem occurred with Chromium as well and it doesn't seem to be browser related, because this crashes are caused by any RAM-intensive activity.

Shortly before it crashes the fan winds up and the activities start to lag progressively until, in the worst case, I am not even able to open the menu to select a restart and have to shut the laptop down with the power button. Since I want to use Anaconda (Spyder) for some work with data analysis in Python and the problem occurs also there, I want to figure out what may be necessary to get the system work smoothly again. If I work normally with the laptop, those crashes can happen up to three or four times within six hours and it's really annoying after some time. I already checked the forum and found some related issues, but none of them being related to that situation especially. If it is a hard ware failure its fine as well, I just hesitate to simply by a new SSD without knowing if the SSD is really the problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 Like
  1. Did your old HDD have a swap file or swap partition?
  2. Does your new SSD have any swap?

If Yes to 1 and No to 2 then you're running out of RAM which is causing a crash, therefore buy more RAM.

If Yes to both then you're still running out of RAM and you should buy some more.

2 Likes

You never mentioned if you did a fresh Manjaro install on the new SSD, or if you restored your system with a backup.

If you restored from backup your system would not have been optimized for an SSD. There are various things you would need to change in that case.

You also might want to check if there is a firmware update available for your SSD.

2 Likes

Can you force a crash by other means. Like with the stress tool?
You could also try a dedicated Linux stress distro: https://www.stresslinux.org/sl/
If you have a hardware problem these tools should crash your PC as well.

Have you checked your RAM with memtest86+ ?

2 Likes

Also check your dmesg/journalctl for any "ata" related error messages.

Yes, I had a swap partition there and I have one now, it's about 8 GB in size with my regular RAM being 4 GB in size.

I already upgraded my RAM to 8 GB but ran into this problem. The thing is that I don't really understand why I should have more RAM with a faster SSD then with a HDD. Maybe I misunderstand the way the hard drive works but I naively assumed that a newer technology should be more efficient in its RAM-usage.

Sorry for that. I didn't restore the system because my hard drive was damaged. I just managed with the help of some experts at my former company to save my data in the home directory. I then ordered a SSD-hard drive and made a fresh installation of Manjaro on the hard drive and from the first day I had those crash-related issues.

I just remembered that I followed this instruction:

Point number 7, I enabled TRIM for SSD.

Wow, that was really interesting. I did the stress-command as described in the arch-wiki, i.e. stress --cpu 4, and the fan turned up for about 10 seconds and then, without any lag or warning, the laptop simply shut down immediately. There wasn't even a shut down, it was just a black screen from one second to the next.

Do you suspect any hardware failure? I can think of power issue when cpu use scales higher. Direct black out doesn't sound like a software issue.

It really could be, I just don't know how to identify the part of the laptop that might cause all this. Obviously, if it is an hardware issue the hard drive is certainly a candidate because the problem only appeared after I build in the (brand new) SSD. How could I test the hard drive?

It sounds more like your laptop has a hardware issue, and diagnosing those is pretty much impossible via the internet.

You mention

so I assume this is a work device, and therefore you might ask your local technical support for help. For example, they might just buy you a new laptop.

1 Like

That suggests that the CPU cooling is not working properly. So that when the fan is not helping it shuts itself down out of self-protection.

You could monitor CPU temperature while you do the stress test.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark