manjaro.cn - our duty for our chinese community

15.8% of our traffic on manjaro.org is coming from China. Now the China Registry (Head Office) approached us to inform that a Chinese company is claiming our domains. Going to https://www.manjaro.cn we found a perfect copy of our community. What us concerns is the following forum post. We are a strong community and we should stay also strong against these badly used manners in our Name. Our Chinese community might wrongly assume it would be an official page and point to get support for Manjaro Linux.

However, it seems China Registry is a big SCAM. More about how this works here.

Our plans:

• translate manjaro.org to Chinese
  • establish a proper Chinese community
  • set things strait against any scams

Therefore we need trusted people like @gohlip and @DeMus, which are long part members of this forum. If my research is correct, Chinese is somehow one of your languages :smile: Are there others willing to support us in this quest to establish a community for this part in Asia?

11 Likes
4 Likes

It does seem like a scam, but since Manjaro is popular in China, there is nothing wrong with improving our own sites Chinese integration. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, seems then to be a real trick to trick people. Thx for informing us.

Translation of the counterfeit site into English:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://www.manjaro.cn/&prev=search

Translation of this post into English:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://www.manjaro.cn/bbs/topic/manjaro-cn%E5%8F%81%E4%BB%9F%E5%9C%86%E5%87%BA%E5%94%AE%E6%95%B4%E7%AB%99%E6%89%93%E5%8C%85&prev=search

2 Likes

We are now in contact with CNNIC to go to the bottom of this.

5 Likes

does this mean they are spying on us hope not

No, absolutely not. Acquiring the manjaro.cn domain has nothing to do with access to traffic to and from the manjaro.org domain. It also has nothing to do with your installation of Manjaro.

ok thanks

Manjaro is known to be widely used in China itself. This shows also the huge amount of clicks we get from this country on our official homepage manjaro.org. However, it is sad to see that some of our Chinese users might be using manjaro.cn by mistake and hope to get official support there. We will see on what we can do about that. The SCAM approach by China Registry, which is currently owned by Shanghai YG Co., Ltd. Similar fraud companies tried this before. Here is a list of those, if other OpenSource projects might get approached by some of them.

So only go to official websites like the CNNIC if there is an interest to represent your project also in Asia.

Address: Floor 1, Building 1, Software Park, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 4 South 4th Street, Zhongguancun, Beijing
POB: Beijing 349, Branch 6, CNNIC
Postcode: 100190
Tel: 8610-58813000
Fax: 8610-58812666

We recommend to establish a trusty community first, as you might not be able to support your users, if you don't know Chinese in this case as one of your languages. More about CNNIC also on wikipedia.

Hello there, I' m a Chinese and just graduated from university this June.
I' m glad to offer some help.
And what can I do?

Currently we are discussing what might be needed to establish a Chinese community. We all are based in Europe. Therefore the Asian area was not our focus. It is sad to see that there exist some homepages to mimic us and try to sell the domain for a quick buck.

Translation of our homepage might be a start into the right direction. But without a proper community behind it, the effort would be too much.

Thank you very much

Sorry to say this @philm, but you have to work on your research a bit more. Apart from Pu yong hai, cap cai and Gong xi fa cai I don't speak one word of Chinese. My wife's family originates from China, 10 generations ago and she also doesn't speak the language.
So, I think I can't help you with this. Sorry.

2 Likes

Then my research was bad. Thx mate.

I hope you find some people who can and want to help. Manjaro has to reclaim the use of its name.

Simply translate the homspage is not hard. But how to do that specifically?

Hm... noticed that the Manjaro homepage isn't actually on GitLab, or I just can't find it. If it was publicly hosted on GitLab, it'd be easier for others to do translated websites as well.

Example of a website hosting on GitHub:

1 Like

It is. However, the current language feature is taking some time to accomplish. Our homepage will be more static and therefore easier to translate in future.

Thanks for the decision of improving Chinese community support.

But a few information I would like to provide:

1. Twitter is completely blocked in China, so I guess most our Chinese users are not aware of this post, some in them might be willing to help.

2. The Internet in China is much likely a large Intranet with strict control to outside connection, connection speed to overseas websites is so slow, making most of them unusable.
    I tested in two provinces with https://manjaro.org/news/ , the result is I have to wait about a minute to see the announcements , if I can; sometimes I can’t get anything.

3. As it was mentioned before, Manjaro is based in Europe, which it’s languages are very different to Chinese, most Chinese are unable to read English. In this case, I think a Chinese interface is needed to build a Chinese community.

4. Last, I know this might make China sound very bad, but honestly I think few Chinese are willing or have the time to voluntarily provide community support. Because we lack the spirit and condition currently; and also because, people with the ability to read English will solve their problems by themselves, and are not satisfied to answer those basic questions asked in Chinese that appears again and again.

I hope this might help.:grin:

2 Likes

Native Simplified Chinese speaker here; would love to help where there is English -> Simplified Chinese translation to do, till September when my vacation is over.

A few impressions on www.manjaro.cn (visited on 30 July 2019):

1. Articles in the "Introduction" / “介绍” section mainly deal with these subjects:
  • How Manjaro is similar to & different from other Linux distros, especially Arch;
  • Why Manjaro rocketed in popularity and became a top runner in DistroWatch;
  • Standards of an "easy to use" Linux distro & how one should choose a distro in general;
  • Plus a translation of "Manjaro: A Different Kind of Beast" in Manjaro Wiki.
  1. In the "Download" / “下载” page, for each edition, the 1st link directs to the official download page. Links towards Chinese mirror sites (University of Science and Technology of China & Tsinghua University) are also provided, likely for the convenience of local users.

2. And the domain is for sale.

IMHO it seems the current purpose of this site is more to provide a shortcut for Chinese users to get to know Manjaro, with the targeted users already having basic knowledge of Linux and popular distros, than to create a mimic of the official community... but who knows what would happen if the domain is transferred to someone else in the future.

As @high has explained a Chinese interface is very important to the foundation of a Chinese community, since a lot of Chinese are unable (or unwilling) to read English. I'd say translation of the homepage would be a good start.

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by