Manjaro-Cinnamon Vmware - sudo apt install ubuntustudio-installer - What is the proper method?

Howdy,

I’m trying to setup/install - sudo apt install ubuntustudio-installer , which obviously doesn’t work under Manjaro Cinnamon processing in terminal.

What is the actual command structure that will trigger it, as i’m unfamiliar with the pacman and all those term variants, ie what equals what.

I come from a rookie Ubuntu Studio background, Kubuntu is new to me also. But i’m trying this flavour of fun so I can improve my awareness, knowledge and practice.

How can I proceed, if at all as i’m looking to install this package or a like package that is similar in concept for my studio methods of photography, panorama building, video editing, sound editing as well.

Thank you for review. Have a great day.

• RMLeLoup

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

I find it hard to understand the question you have, it is open to multiple interpretations

I could presume you are a user of https://ubuntustudio.org/ and want to have the same functionality on manjaro so you are looking for a command to install a meta package of software & settings that essentially has the same as ubuntustudio? And the way you want to try this out is in a VMware guest install with a cinamon spin? or are you installing vmware with a ubuntu guest on manjaro?

1 Like

Manjaro use pamac or pacman (not apt) to manage software. If you are unfamiliar with pacman but know apt you can look to Rosetta to compare commands:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

3 Likes

Essentially.

Vmware, has a host of manjaro cin.

Seeking to install the Ubuntu studio package upon it.

Edit, adding more content

https : / / help . ubuntu . com /community/UbuntuStudio/BackportsPPA

This is the backports or package part, it includes:

For Ubuntu Studio 18.04 (manual method):

• Open a terminal window and simply type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports sudo apt update sudo apt full-upgrade

NOTE: It is highly recommended to remove this PPA prior to upgrading Ubuntu Studio from one version to the next.

To remove this PPA, open a terminal window and type:

sudo apt install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntustudio-ppa/backports

While yes - this is not manjaro itself. I’m trying to adjust how to add basically the manual install to permit actual install.

Can anyone translate this effectively into arch commands? I’m trying to add repository or similar, as I have the basic command structure of the “actual” install figured, just not the repository in advance of.

Example:
sudo pacman -S ubuntustudio-installer

Also exploring:
wiki . archlinux . org/title/Category:Multimedia

To see if there is a similar like opportunity.

Thanks for the read during this delve into the deep end for myself.

And thanks for the encouragement as well.

• RMLeLoup

You cannot install ubuntu-studio.

If you are looking for a way to add the functionality of Ubuntu Studio to Manjaro - you would have to list the applications on a working ubuntu install - then use https://discover.manjaro.org to locate the equivalent package and install it. Manjaro package manager will handle the dependencies and if any optional dependencies exist you will be asked which to include.

But as you include the term VMware in your topic and then I understand your issue as you want to run VMware on top of Manjaro Cinnamon and then install Ubuntu-Studio?

In that case

1. Read the VMware article on Manjaro Wiki [1] and Forum [2]
  2. Search the forum for VMware issues
  3. Go with VirtualBox
  4. Read the VirtualBox topic on Wiki[3] and Forum[4]

Download the Ubuntu-Studio ISO.

Create a new VM using ubuntu as template and start the VM - when asked - choose a the downloaded ISO.

2 Likes

On a positive note,

I have test machines for ubuntu/kubuntu studio etc (debian). So it’s easy to integrate there.

I use vmware as it’s more diverse for my solutions in addition to delving into manjaro (loving it so far, just trying to expand and see what’s more possible).

The discover . manjaro . org , i’ll definitely look over package wise.

I wasn’t certain on how the verbage works for adding packages, vs adding sources for more packages, etc. Thats more so what I was directing to identify so I can encorporate the original studio addon, or at the minimum the app variable packages one by one or mass by mass, etc. However the variable terms differ from debian to manjaro.

Thanks for the reply

• RMLeLoup

Manjaro differs from Ubuntu as there is no need to add package sources.

The community repo is default enabled - inherited from Arch - and contains a load of prebuilt binaries including Manjaro specific packages.

The native Arch Linux package manager is pacman and the library libalpm.

The Manjaro GUI package manager is Pamac (Add/Remove Applications) and it has a CLI which is using a syntax similar to apt.

man pamac

AUR should not be considered until you have become familiar with Manjaro as the usage poses challenges requiring a certain level of knowledge and experience using your Manjaro system.

2 Likes