Manjaro Cinnamon 21.1.2 shipping Vivaldi browser

That was completely different, this was about monopoly, if you don’t see the difference.

What is discussed more here from my understanding is more about the proprietary nature of Vivaldi (which now that I looked at it further is not really proprietary as people would think, it is proprietary because they do not license their UI to be used and integrated in other projects, but everything else is open source), and the kinda monolithic situation about browsers engines, which chrome is becoming more and more the unique engine and replacing Firefox for a chrome based browser reduce even more the usage of another engine.

I see the difference, just mentioned it because their reasoning was that users wouldn’t know they can use another browser or search engine.
But I don’t really get the FOSS vs. proprietary argument here. Don’t get me wrong, I like FOSS, but as mentioned here before Manjaro is not a distro dedicated to just FOSS apps.
And I agree that it’s not ideal that Google dominates the browser market with Chrome. But let’s be honest: Blink is the better engine. But that’s not the main reason why Firefox lost so much market share over the last years. It’s Mozillas fault 'cause they ignore what users want for years now and just aren’t able to create competitive products anymore
But the huge problem I (a privacy advocate) see with Chrome is not the engine or Chromium itself- it’s all the shit Google adds to the code. I can’t and won’t recommend Chrome to anybody, but fortunatly there are many good alternatives for most platforms like Brave, Chromium, Ungoogled Chromium, the DuckDuckGo-Browser or Bromite (or Vivaldi; but I never tried this one myself). Chromium/Blink based browsers already are and will be the meta in the forseeable future, like it or not.

Think this is a pretty good video on it, explains everyone’s options pretty well

2 Likes

Thanks, and here’s the man interviewed by other Linuxers:

Was interesting and pretty informative to watch, it contains references to Linux, Manjaro devs, Vivaldi’s funding, privacy matters, Firefox and open-source-code as expected, busts some misconceptions and fake news as well -he even openly says how to look at the whole code :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:- , and I don’t know about you but me being a physiognomist I have to say that his face and expressions are not those of a deceiver, but rather than of someone that hangs out in taverns where you 'd also want to sit along, eating and drinking beers together, while talking about classical music and stuff :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Awesome quote at 28:06:

…when someone takes our efforts at getting people access to the internet and makes it into a machine for programming us–there’s something seriously wrong. And that’s what this is, I mean call it what it is. It is a programming API to program us and give us opinions or get us to buy things…

– Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner, CEO of Vivaldi Technologies

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What would I need to do to watch Netflix in 1080p with Vivaldi?

6 posts were split to a new topic: Is it possible to set vim like bindings in Vivaldi?

Mozilla have asked Ubuntu to ship firefox as a snap package by default. So looks like they’re not too bothered about remaining foss.

I can pretty much guarantee manjaro team won’t do that.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Converted to personal message

that edition IMO is not good , buggy and on the last update had some king of warning saying that the manjaro key ring did not update correctly . so I deleted the 21.1.2 version and installed 21.1.0 , that edition came with firefox as default , no office selector on install , IMO 21.1.0 is better

1 Like

Manjaro being rolling-release distro, you have to update anyway to the latest version. :thinking:
And you could just uninstall office and any other software and install Firefox, provided it is in the official repos.

Always check the Manjaro announcement, the second post always has the known issues and solutions, this could help you next time you have an issue (that specific issue is not a Cinnamon edition issue, it was an issue with last update for some people).

Personally, I like Brave browser. I don’t think it’s available here yet, is it?

Is in the official repositories as brave-browser

Thank you!!

edit: I tried, but it didn’t work. Maybe it’s because I’m using Manjaro ARM on a pinebook pro?

brave is not avaibale on ARM.
You can check on

Just remember to switch from x64 (default) to ARM.
You posted in an announcement thread for x86_64 architecture, ARM releases typically get posted in #arm:releases.

Thread cleaned. This is not a place for flame wars. Anyone continuing such discussion will receive an official warning or temporary account suspension depending on previous corrective actions received.

3 Likes

Thread temporarily closed for maintenance.