Manjaro-Cinnamon 20.0 Lysia released

I tried the cinnamon edtion this evening.very good!

1 Like

I think it is better than official edtion.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I've been using oberon's Manjaro cinnamon on and off for over two years now. :slight_smile:
And still as euphoric about it as on the first day.

2 Likes

I have rebuilt the ISOs with fixed/downgraded themes now.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your hard work @oberon, this is definitely the best manjaro edition. I've tried all the oficial v20 flavors and definitely this is by far the best. Hope we get a deepin 20 flavor too :grin:

3 Likes

As always thanks for your hard work!

It it wasn't for you, I don't know what distro I would have ended up with.

Cinnamon is the best!

1 Like

After I switch the language to zh_CN and boot from the minimal iso, all the Chinese characters are displayed as squares. It seems that the minimal edition cannot find a proper font to display them. There is no such problem in official minimal versions.

sed it is then .
Or rather .. something like this:

cd theme-directory
find ./ -type f -exec sed -i -e 's/OLD/NEW/g' {} \;

(recursive find and replace string)

Try the following:
change /etc/fonts/local.conf to

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<alias>
  <family>sans-serif</family>
  <prefer>
     <family>Noto Sans</family>
   </prefer> 
 </alias>

<alias>
  <family>serif</family>
  <prefer>
  </prefer>
</alias>

<alias>
  <family>monospace</family>
  <prefer>
  </prefer>
</alias>

</fontconfig>

This way noto sans will be a fallback, if you don't have it install with sudo pacman -S noto-fonts.
Also note that if you have an emoji font, add it under <family>Noto Sans</family> eg <family>Noto Color Emoji</family> or the same for Joypixels

So far no issues after over 24 hours of a fresh install. Everything working as expected.

Works flawlessly - best edition there is - thank you!

I am new here. After reading and watching a lot of Linux staff. I have decided to pick Manjaro Cinnamon. I have never used Linux distro before. I have only used Window and Android. I'll try my adventure here, let begin the journey.

I just bought a new PC. Should I use my old PC to tryout Linux or just Dual boots my new PC with window 10 pro & Manjaro Cinnamon? or Virtual PC.

I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this question.

I installed windows10 and manjaro cinnamon in my PC.

VM is usually very janky. Either you carve out 20-30 gb partition for linux or you use your old pc. Try to port your workflow and see how many roadblock you find. If there is too much unbearable issue, just delete the partition and return to windows. Also, restoring bootloader behaviour after installing linux is a bit janky, so I recommend try on your old pc but use it exclusively for few days.

Thank for sharing your experience. So dual boots is better than VM ?

Thanks for your quick feedback. Have you ever tried using two graphic cards in a VM mod? one card for each OS; so you can switch back and forth smoothly. I have to use AutoCAD on Windows, and I want to use Blender 3D on Manjaro (I have heard that Blender 3d has a much better performance on Linux, like up to 40%).

Is there anyone has use Blender 3D in this community? I would love to hear your input.

Your use case can probably be served by a windows vm with native performance. It is doable but not an easy task at all. I recommend to read up lots of article on how to do it but still, better try it on your backup machine and only deploy it on your actual workstation if you can set it up without a hitch. The arch wiki article on how to do it is probably a good start. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Thanks for the link. It is very interesting to hear that people are actually thinking about or working on this kind of setup. I see the concept of how it can work, but the reading from your link is very intimidating; it is super technical, I can only understand a little part of it.

My bad for linking arch wiki article for that. Honestly, it's easier to be comfortable with linux first than attempting to do PCI passthrough out of the blue. Also, a bit of a hint, the GUI way of installing a software in manjaro is by searching "pamac" in your start menu. It is pretty much an app store that do some more stuff. Eventually you should search on how to install software from terminal as it is the one you would find in most linux tutorial, and to be honest, more efficient than GUI method.

My new computer will be here in about 3-4 weeks. I'll give it a try. First doul boots, and then will be VM; we'll see how it goes. Thank you very much for helping out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Forum kindly sponsored by