Manjaro-Cinnamon 18.1.0 ISO released

I am happy to announce the availability of Manjaro-Cinnamon 18.1.0:

This edition comes with

• Cinnamon 4.2.4 desktop
  • latest x-apps and mint-themes
  • bauh for handling snaps and flatpak
  • calamares Office suite chooser and
  • kernel linux 5.2.

A minimal version is also available, with only the basic applications pre-installed and without pre-configured snaps/flatpak support or OfficeSuite chooser.

Other than some smaller fixes I have added by request xrandr and gufw for more convenient configuration and following a discussion about Linuxmint's new default panel layout with the grouped window list, I decided to provide a little tool to easily switch back to the old-style regular window list plus launcher.
The panel-chooser will appear automatically after login until you have made a choice.

panel-chooser

In case you change your mind later or if you want to run it on an existing install (package cinnamon-panel-chooser), please be aware that it will reset your panel to one or the other default and remove any other panel customization!

I hope you will enjoy Manjaro-Cinnamon and I am happy to answer any suggestions, wishes, complaints, findings...

Bernhard

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | minimal

43 Likes

@oberon
Really great work on this iso! :heartbeat:

I'm still not giving up on Deepin, but Cinnamon definitely makes №1 on my backup plan now :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Excellent Community release, great performance and excellent manjaro theming.

Live Long and Prosper :vulcan_salute:
Ari.

2 Likes

Is cinnamon still using an old version of GTK? I remember they stopped using new versions because it had breaking changes.

No, it uses the same gtk3 1:3.24.11

Why not Plasma though? :wink:

Thank you so very much! I was looking for this real bad. :smiley:

I really love Cinnamon and also KDE Plasma... Nice work. It would be cool if Cinnamon become an official flavor.

Btw, the font and menu icon are different or am I wrong?

1 Like

Terrific work! Happily using your Cinnamon Manjaro builds on one of my machines. It's quietly become one of the most solid and performant DE distro options out there. Thanks for your contributions to Manjaro and to us all!

3 Likes

Even though I didn't use his builds to install (used architect), I agree with you on the stability of cinnamon.. It finally cured my DE hopping disease and it's here to stay. :smiley:

Thanks @oberon! I just completed a clean install tonight without any issues. Great work on this release.

2 Likes

Thanks @oberon! The panel chooser is a sweet little shortcut for users, exactly the thoughtful addition you might expect from Manjaro :smiley:

1 Like

Because Manjaro KDE Plasma is №2 on my list :yum:

I like what you can make out of it, but what i don't like of everything in KDE:

1. Defaults
  2. Excessive over-complication of options for DE / Software
    If i were them, i'd hide at least 50% of all options available from UI to some configs. but that's just me :upside_down_face:

Ultimately comes down to value my time :smiley:

I understand. Though you might wanna consider the following points which would certainly help alleviate any trouble you might face using Plasma.

1. The Plasma desktop environment is all about customization. So out-of-the-box, it might look a bit bloated but it can be certainly customized to your liking.
  2. I agree though that Plasma can do without over-complicating things but for the most parts, those settings are intrusive and stay out of the way as long as you do not need them.
  3. Remember, a desktop environment is just as simple or complicated as you think it to be. Plasma and Cinnamon are no exception to this notion. :smiley:

P.S. Even I would honestly want to hide 50% of those settings. It gets a bit overwhelming for new comers like one of my classmates. :laughing:

Right, and Deepin is just as buggy as i imagine too :rofl:

In the end it's just a matter of priorities, but for myself i find Cinnamon on this .iso more appealing :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree. To be honest, it sometimes ends up looking even better than how it would on Linux Mint. :joy: (Maybe it's just me lol)

2 Likes

is there a problem installing this encrypted on a non-uefi system? ive tried 3 times now and it always fails when im asked to enter the decryption password. it says something like system blahblah doesent exist or something like that. i just followed the gui installer. it was not a problem on my uefi laptoup, worked just fine. also had no issues installing solus with encryption on the non uefi system

edit: figured it out. manual partitioning, unencrypted /boot, encrypted /

1 Like

AWSOME! Thank you! looking forward installing it on my main rig.

I thought so too, but apparently it's one of Mint's own themes?

2 Likes

Hi @iiari, I don't know why I find the the Maia (or whatever it is called) theme which comes with Manjaro Cinnamon saucier as compared to the mediocre and less contrasted Mint-X or Mint-Y theme equipped by Linux Mint. Glad to know that we're sailing the same boat. :laughing:

Forum kindly sponsored by