[manjaro-cinnamon-18.0.4-stable-x86_64.iso] - missing XRANDR

Hi, it's weird but there is no xrandr in Manjaro Cinnamon 18.0.4 ISO

[manjaro@manjaro-cinnamon ~]$ xrandr
bash: xrandr: command not found

i always thought the xorg-xrandr packages got installed with xorg or at least with video drivers but in the past few months i noticed i had to manually install the package. IMO it should most certainly be included by default. xrandr is certainly more of a necessity than snaps, flatpaks, hp printer, and freeoffice among others but :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You know I have not used the xrandr cli since like the 90's.
Every major desktop environment comes with it's own gui tool to interact with libxrandr.
This includes Plasma, Enlightenment, LXDE/QT, Gnome (and it's derivitives), Mate, and XFCE.
And to go even further, there base toolkits also interact directly with libxrandr (GTK2/3, QT4/5, EFL, KDE Frameworks (kscreen), etc.

but it's a tool still used quite a bit and afaik has functionality that none of the DE settings seem to handle. everyone using prime, optimus-manager, optimus-switch all rely on it and others as well to handle DPI issues even though there are other ways of handling DPI like specifying in a xorg configuration for example but to an average user trying to figure out exactly where to specify DPI in a xorg configuration is overwhelming. some DE's dont handle fractional scaling as well as others, they dont allow you to add undetected resolution and refresh rates.

my point was just that since we seem to be getting more and more crap that a lot of people dont need/want then why not something that is needed for a good amount of people. IIRC, xorg-xrandr used to either come installed or got installed with certain video drivers or along with the other xorg packages but im not 100% certain on that, i just know as of a few months back i noticed when helping others and myself included setup PRIME or optimus-switch were running into black or flashing screens due to xorg-xrandr not being installed.

i used hplip as an example because it comes installed as if everyone uses an hp printer and they dont, also removing hplip takes manjaro-printer along with it as a dependency.

Well, xrandr in not the be all end all, there is also arandr, brandr, srandr, and autorandr. There may be even more in the AUR, I haven't looked. Not to mention xrandr is only useful under X11, what we need to do is make more request to the other utility's abilities, rather than push for the use and inclusion of something that is more or less, in maintenance mode at this point.

Besides, Gnome already defaults to wayland now. Enlightenment and Plasma are close to switching their defaults away from X11 as well. At which point xrandr will be useless for the majority of users anyway.

I guess my point is, push upstream GUI maintainers to add or fix features you find useful. Just keep in mind these tools also have to be compatible with wayland, as well as xorg (xrandr), etc.

PS. manjaro-printer is only a meta package, it only installs other packages, it contains no files itself (safe to remove).

i dont know about the others but arandr is useful to set resolution for separate monitors easily in a gui but like you mentioned before that can be done in DE settings already and arandr itself depends on xorg-xrandr.

this is assuming wayland will ever be able to work properly with nvidia, then yes xrandr will become obsolete.

but for now xrandr is still a necessity for a decent amount of people, even if not for prime and other optimus setups it's still a very useful tool when someone has a display issue. telling them to go to GUI settings and post a picture is silly when all the needed info in text which is searchable is easily provided with xrandr. it's 71.7 kb's so it's not like it's something that needs to be trimmed off as "bloat" or need to come with a service enabled by default. cough..cough....snapd

I'm not going to quote Linus here, as I don't like to cuss.
However, I do share his sentiments on NVIDIA and their proprietary stuff, that effects only them..

There are solutions for their eglstreams, this is how gnome got there. Personally, I'm glad that Enlightenment, and to some extent KDE, have not gone down this route. At some point NVIDIA needs to embrace the upstream API, ABI's, and quit trying to force the opensource community to bend to their will. Their solution is not superior in any way, and forces programmers to maintain two separate code paths for no real reason.

nvidia was just an example, since im on a laptop i dont have the ability to swap out a gpu and im not really sure i would want to switch from nvidia to amd just yet, ngreedia certainly has it's downs but so does amd and stability which seems to be getting better and better.

that said, nvidia is still more popular, at least for now anyway and i dont see them going open source anytime soon or ever but thats another discussion entirely. xorg-xrandr is an easy way for helpers to request info from a user that needs help and for that reason alone is enough for it to be included by default.

IDK, I primarily stick with all Intel based systems.
I do have one AMD system, but it like my Intel systems, it is all AMD.

1 Like

xorg-xrandr is a tiny package. It won't hurt to in clude it in the next release. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like