Character map file `UTF-8' not found: Bad message

In the last update I got this error from Glibc

character map file UTF-8’ not found: Bad message`

and now when I open the terminal I get this error:

manpath: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct

I realized that when I try to access to /usr/share/i18n/charmaps I get Bad message then I deleted that directory, after I downloaded the sources of glibc in the oficial website GNU and I copied the charmaps from the sources localedata/charmaps to where was the old one /usr/share/i18n and I executed the command sudo locale-gen and it worked.

Looks like Manjaro or Archlinux doesn’t do correctly the update of the last version of glibc

I sincerely doubt that - like the most of us Arch devs are only human - but something as basic as gcc - I think they would have caught long before a Manjaro user would.

An error like yours are most likely self inflicted - such issues usually surface when a user is neglecting distribution practice or standards.

1 Like

ok I installed the community i3 in my machine after I installed the XFCE environment and update the packages and the issue happens, maybe it is because that community version? I wasn’t neglecting anything, I’m using linux for 16 years, I know what I’m doing, please avoid to use this user is neglecting it is unrespectful and your comment is totally helpless.

I have been driving various kind cars for 40 years - still any car(vehicle) must be treated differently - I can’t say that I know how to drive any car(vehicle) - as some cars(vehicles) may need me to drive it differently - like a 30ton truck (which I have never done nor have a license for).

Edit