Manjaro Cinnamon 16.10

@steve I’ve used Cinnamon on Acer Aspire One 722 (2Gb ram, my test machine) and on a eeePc of a friend and it’s sluggish compared to Xfce/Mate/Lxqt
About 500/550 MB Ram

Good work @oberon

2 Likes

I agree with @MadmanRB

I’m actually using xed instead of Gedit and have some other installed

x-apps are interesting http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/02/the-first-two-x-apps-are-ready/ worth a look

I’ll try them now … :slight_smile:

Cool stuff! :smiley: I’ll package the git versions for now as they still seem to be under some development…
I like how quite independent they are - it might even make sense to use them in environments like i3 and other tilers/lightweights … :slight_smile:

1 Like

so how is xfce on your machine then?

Voilá, just uploaded some packages to unstable branch:

pix
xapps
xed
xplayer
xplayer-plparser
xreader
xviewer
xviewer-plugins

If you like you can simply install the whole group with
sudo pacman -S x-apps
Please try them and let me hear some feedback! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just now, they’ve already been moved to testing branch btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice light apps. They are quick to load. One issue, when running xviewer, the app complained:

xviewer: error while loading shared libraries: libexempi.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed exempi and it worked.

Ok. Thank you! Will add that dependency :slight_smile:

Why bother? Not worth it.

Fresh install on my MacBook Air 2012.

After only 2 days, everything is running smooth. Kernel 4.8.5

First distro that doesn’t give me a black screen half the time when coming back from sleep after opening the lid. Crossing my fingers…

The only thing I had to add was x86-input-synaptics. My touchpad didn’t have tap to click or 2 fingers/right click out of the box. Thanks to the forum for this solution.

Again x apps are meant to be DE ambiguous

You can install them without needing extra packages from the other desktops

Actually I’ve Mate-gtk3 installed, with mate-system-monitor and update notifier open

RAM: 460 MiB of 1,7 GiB

Xfce/Mate/Lxqt are more responsive on old hardware

1 Like

When I installed them the AUR, one of them (don’t remember which one) needed a bunch of MATE package. I just get frustrated when people keep fragmenting the Linux app market (for lack of a better term). Also, when I tried to use x-player it kept crashing on me. I don’t feel like they are ready for mainstream yet.

I think x-apps is a great concept for the smaller GTK desktop environment. If mutiple developers from different DEs can get together to improve them you’ll end up with a good suite of basic apps that are environment agnostic. There is nothing wrong with forking projects it creates choice.

I blame this one on AUR, in Mint they do fantastically.
Remember arch user repository = sometimes unstable.

I agree. I think it makes sense to have a nice suite of basic gtk3 apps that don’t depend on client-side decoration for their look.

Most people will still be using gtk2 programs side by side with gtk3 apps. The apps with gnome client-side decorations will stand out because they look so different from everything else. For instance, if you’re running Manjaro XFCE, most programs still have the usual layout, but then you install gedit and evince and they just look out of place.

Hi, are there any plans to integrate Manjaro Settings Manager to Cinnamon Settings? (Show the icon there, like XFCE does with XFCE Settings).

@Stebs, your post made me curious about this.

The files that control Cinnamon Settings are found in /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings.

In cinnamon-settings.py we can edit the STANDALONE_MODULES list on line 74 to include additional modules rather easily. I added two entries to this list (at the bottom):

STANDALONE_MODULES = [
#         Label                          Executable                          Icon                Category        Keywords for filter
    [_("Printers"),                      "system-config-printer",        "cs-printer",         "hardware",       _("printers, laser, inkjet")],
    [_("Firewall"),                      "gufw",                         "cs-firewall",        "admin",          _("firewall, block, filter, programs")],
    [_("Languages"),                     "mintlocale",                   "cs-language",        "prefs",          _("language, install, foreign")],
    [_("Input Method"),                  "mintlocale im",                "cs-input-method",    "prefs",          _("language, install, foreign, input, method, chinese, korean, japanese, typing")],
    [_("Login Window"),                  "gksu /usr/sbin/mdmsetup",      "cs-login",           "admin",          _("login, mdm, gdm, manager, user, password, startup, switch")],
    [_("Driver Manager"),                "mintdrivers",                  "cs-drivers",         "admin",          _("video, driver, wifi, card, hardware, proprietary, nvidia, radeon, nouveau, fglrx")],
    [_("Software Sources"),              "mintsources",                  "cs-sources",         "admin",          _("ppa, repository, package, source, download")],
    [_("Users and Groups"),              "cinnamon-settings-users",      "cs-user-accounts",   "admin",          _("user, users, account, accounts, group, groups, password")],
    [_("Bluetooth"),                     "blueberry",                    "cs-bluetooth",       "hardware",       _("bluetooth, dongle, transfer, mobile")],
    #  This line adds the Manjaro Settings Manager to Cinnamon Settings
    [_("Manjaro Settings Manager"),      "manjaro-settings-manager",     "cs-cat-hardware",    "admin",          _("manjaro, settings, manager, kernel, graphics, driver, language")],
    #  This line adds the Manjaro Notifier Settings to Cinnamon Settings
    [_("Manjaro Notifier Settings"),     "msm_notifier --settings",      "cs-sources",         "admin",          _("manjaro, settings, notifier, kernel, language")]
]

The new entries both appear and launch successfully:

@Oberon, would there be any issues pulling this into Manjaro Cinnamon?

4 Likes

Sure! I’ll adopt this. Thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes