Any auto-installer of sorts for Wordpress(self-hosted)?

^ title

I want to self host Wordpress at my house, but I’m having trouble following the guide for it on the Arch Wiki, so I was wondering if there’s a script floating about that could help automate the installation and setup of Wordpress.

Not auto, but your best bet is probably docker. Here is a guide I found with a quick search: How to install WordPress with Docker - Simplify the installation - UpCloud

2 Likes

I’ll look into it, I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’ve used docker w a few services, not WordPress tho. I imagine the hard part will be similar to other services, that is either having the preferred plugins pre-installed or how easy is it to install them inside the container. For something as popular as WordPress there’s probably a good selection of builds or a system for such in the official build.

I tried the official build in Pamac, I’m just having some trouble wrapping my head arround stuff like Apache, PHP and all of that(I know Caddy, so this Docker route should be fine :man_shrugging:)

Poor choice in wordage, by build I meant docker image. Like this official one, Docker Hub

Sometimes it can be a task getting just the right plugins installed to the container

I also used caddy in my stack to put all my services up. It works great. Had to learn some about setting a default network up in docker to point caddy to. Using docker-compose made it pretty easy.

Sorry if I caused any confusion, but yeah, I plan on using the Docker image.

I used to have script for setting up a lamp stack, but using docker is probably a better idea anyway

1 Like

Just something a bit unrelated, how can I find what program is using a port? It’s stopping me from starting Wordpress…

No, no problem, I used poor descriptors. Just endorsing the docker idea and wanted to add that plugins can be tricky.

Ping me if you wanna see the docker file I used as a moderate example.

1 Like

That would be interesting just to see tbh

Me not being able to connect? I’m trying to provide a screen of what localhost looks like right now in hopes that can help identify it, but this doesn’t allow links…

It’s titled Index of /

I’m sorry, I meant that script that was mentioned. There’s a few ways to get that info, opensnitch might help here. I know there’s a cli quick way but I’m away from a computer at the moment and my memory is terrible.

I’ll check it out

@Moonlight_Sonata netstat is the tool I use for check what’s listening on which ports. This will tell you what’s exposed on your device.

https://www.tecmint.com/find-listening-ports-linux/

If you’re talking about a docker container, it depends on the container. You can check the image documentation on docker hub to see what the default is. You can customize this however you decide whenever you stand up the dockerized stack.

Using docker-compose made this a lot easier but tbh, still took me a couple weeks of reading to get it just right.

if port 80 used is a web server (apache, nginx, caddy …)
But is easy to change port in docker-compose

ports:
      - 8080:80

first value is our host (here localhost:8080), no change second is in contener

1 Like

@airclay @papajoke
A simple reboot fixed the issue :pensive: (must’ve been a leftover from a program I uninstalled or something).
But it’s all working(so far, haven’t experminented with stuff like plugins yet), so hopefully this all goes well!

2 Likes

Hey all!
So I’ve got Wordpress working as stated before, but is there any good or decent drag-n-drop editor out there(for free) on Wordpress? I don’t feel like I can customize anything without one…
If not one of those, what do y’all reccomend for getting good customization(besides writing CSS/HTML)?

This one seems to be popular, but not as good as the the paid options.

I thought WordPress was a management system in itself, but apparently there is whole industry of WordPress drag and drop site builders…

1 Like