Manjaro Bspwm edition 17.1.4

Manjaro community is proud to present the newest release of bspwm edition. Bspwm edition is our lightest offering (~120Mb ram) and is designed to make using the command line easy. It features manjaro-architect as the only available installer, and is eminently suitable for system rescue disk.

New in this release:

• Multipurpose Rofi launcher, combining window switcher, applications launcher, run dialog and web search into one
  • Breath gtk3 theme
  • proper chromium theming (manjaro-browser-settings-native)
  • included (but disabled) lxpolkit
  • disabled compositing
  • window handling for libreoffice and plank
  • awesome new wallpapers by @muser
  • icons and image previews in ranger (@oberon hint hint :wink:)
  • mate-notification-daemon for clickable update-notifications
  • Improved Grub theme (also on installed system)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux-community/files/bspwm/17.1.4/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarobspwmrespin/files/17.1.4/

Chromium with native window decorations and gtk3 theme by default:

Rofi. Just press super and start typing:

New ranger settings (tip: If you like typeahead, press f and start typing):

You can also just use the old iso, because it also has self updating manjaro-architect installer. But this one is prettier.

If someone points me to a guide on how to make x32 isos nowadays, I might do that too. @jonathon?

While I haven’t tried the new bspwm edition yet (but I will do so), I did try your rofi config.

When I open rofi, I experience a rather long delay (half a second maybe?) before rofi opens.
When I use my own basic rofi theme without all the nice additions, it opens immediately.
Do you have that as well?

Wow looks awesome! Congrats!

Let me know what needs to be done in i3! Is it just the config? I will inherit it with pleasure! I’m not using ranger myself… so don’t know too much about it :wink:

Torrent is also now available!

Yes, I figured it was okay since it was still under a second. I think it is the combination of icons and combi-mode. Dmenu-manjaro is still in super+space if something faster is desired. Enabling compositing can make it seem more in line with the rest of the desktop.

I had also file search integrated into it, but that could lead to startup times of 1,5 seconds, so file search is now in super+r

I think so. I used the bspwm ranger configuration as my base config for ranger in i3 (with a few modifications) and it seems to work fine.

The stuff in bspwm’s .config/ranger + nerd-fonts-terminus and w3m installed. As a bonus, powerline prompts should work without issues. Works in xterm, urxvt, sterminal (st) and tty.

YES! I have been looking forward to this. :smiley:

I still haven’t got round to making one :roll_eyes: but Phil’s guide was quite straightforward:

all seems to point to this being an issue with rofi actually. but yes, calling each mode separately seems to ease up the start time a bit. also going without icons helps

What the f**k? Why?

Never heard the term “concept”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
The concept here of the bspwm Edition was always to stay minimal and also to keep the ISO small. The bspwm Edition doesn’t have any qt5 and any kde dependencies. Calamares requires both.
The other point is that a net installer always installs an up to date system, no need to push a new ISO every month or so.

Ok, so the “concept” is an ISO that is literally the exact same thing as Manjaro Architect ISO, except in a live session of bspwm instead of console mode?

…Ok.

Because they are made for each other. :smiley: I wrote manjaro-architect to avoid having a qt dependency in bspwm edition when thus and the old CLI-installer were dropped. And after writing manjaro-architect I focused on making bspwm edition a suitable platform for it.

Another point is minimalism. Bspwm is actually quite fully featured compared with most environments built around bspwm. Having something small and simple is the appeal. That’s why I wrote limepanel, despite bspwm working perfectly fine with any existing panels. It might not be the best one out there, but it just might be the smallest.

Third reason is the pedagogical one. If someone won’t like an installer that runs in the terminal, why would they want an edition built around terminal apps? Bspwm edition is not aimed at people who want their system to just work like most editions are. It for tinkerers and people who want to learn command line and the inner workings of their system. And manjaro-architect is designed to help you understand the system you are installing, similarly to the the original architect and regular arch install, albeit to a lesser extent. Using and building bspwm environment taught me a great deal about Linux, and I want to share that fun with others. :smiley:

Do you think there would be a need for a bspwm edition with calamares as installer? I had plans at some point to make a qt version of bspwm edition (with no gtk), but there were no satisfactory qt terminals or browsers that time. Now there is sterminal and falkon though, so it might be more feasible. + LXQt edition has a nice gui for compton.

That’s not that bad of a concept is it? I think having graphical partitioning tools, a browser for troubleshooting and a scrollable terminal complements manjaro-architect quite nicely :smiley:. Plus it has other goodies like clonezilla pre-installed. I think it can be more efficient system rescue disk and easier way to use architect.

nerd-fonts-terminus are installed but looks like I am still missing something… ?

ranger

Maybe urxvt handles fonts differently? Can you try if it works in sterminal so we know we need to find the right urxvt settings?

I think the font should be set for terminal. In urxvt I use this line in .Xresources

URxvt.font: xft:xos4Terminus:pixelsize=16,xft:SauceCodeProNerdFontMono:pixelsize=16

I think you have to use Terminess instead of SauceCodePro

EDIT. TerminessTTFNerdFontMono

URxvt.font: xft:xos4Terminus:pixelsize=16,xft:TerminessTTFNerdFontMono:pixelsize=16

This works