Manjaro boots into console instead of KDE

Hi,

Manjaro boots just into the console instead of the graphical login screen, and I have no clue how to get it back to rightaway showing the graphical login screen to start KDE. Now, I get the user prompt and after entering username and password I have the console prompt, where I can run startx in order to start KDE, which works fine then.
I don't remember exactly if I changed it on purpose some time ago to boot into the console, because I had severe problems with KDE. Consequently I don't remember what (if) I did to make it happen. Otherwise I would have redone it probably. I checked the grub boot command, there is no "3" at the end of the linux line. The last words are "quiet splash", nothing else.
Any help will be appreciated!

Maybe check

systemctl status sddm
1 Like

I did that. The response was "inactive", so I enabled it with

systemctl enable sddm

But the next time I booted I got the console again. Then I ran

systemctl start sddm

and the login screen popped up. Now the result of

systemctl status sddm

is the following:

● sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-10-10 08:13:49 CEST; 3min 45s ago
     Docs: man:sddm(1)
           man:sddm.conf(5)
 Main PID: 955 (sddm)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 70.4M
   CGroup: /system.slice/sddm.service
           ├─955 /usr/bin/sddm
           └─957 /usr/lib/xorg-server/Xorg -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{3e9662ab-cb48-444f-8e6a-dc4178499441} -background none -noreset -displayf>

However, I'm not yet sure if that solved the problem, because I didn't do a reboot yet. Do you see anything that is not how it should be?

The problem is not solved. I continue to see the console when Manjaro boots up. Using systemctl start sddm fires up the graphical login screen and runs KDE in a different way, it seems (it loads faster than by running startx - at least it feels faster, and some other things work which otherwise wouldn't). I would be glad for some more help, because I'm really at a loss with this.

inxi -Fxxxza --no-host
journalctl -p 3 -xb 

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark