Manjaro boots directly to windows on UEFI, aparently is installed in BIOS

Hello! I’m new to linux, I only dualbooted once before (with another distro) and it was alongside windows 7, now I am on windows 10 and can’t get it to work.

So, I mounted the USB to install Manjaro with kde interface, booted with the usb and proceded with the instalation. Using windows disk utility I had separated 250GB of space for Manjaro instalation, I chose to set the partitions myself and left 24.6 GB to root ("/"), 224.2 GB to “/home” and 1.2 GB to swap as you can see in the image (dev/sda 7, sda8 and sda9)

Everything went fine with the instalation, but on reboot it booted directly to windows. Tryng to solve this problem I found a tutorial post on how to use live-cd to restore grub (Using livecd v17.0.1 as grub to boot OS with broken bootloader), I tried to follow the steps but even the first comand:
grub> echo $grub_platform
doesn’t return anything. Not even an error, I hit enter and another “grub>” line shows up
I was booting from an USB, should I try with a CD?

I think I may have installed Manjaro under BIOS mode in the live-usb (at least rufus usb is mounted in GBR and the boot screen is identic to the bios one in the user manual), could that be what’s causing my problem as my boot is set to UEFI in windows? If it is, how can I boot with the GPT partitioned usb in UEFI? I’m able to mount it in rufus, but when I say I want to boot from the usb I get a blackscreen that says it couldn’t detect anything to boot from and to hit anything to restart.
Should I change boot mode to legacy?

I’m willing to uninstall and install manjaro again, but I want advice as I don’t know if I won’t mess my windows boot by formating the manjaro partitions

PS: both secure boot and fastboot options are disabled

Start your Manjaro USB Stick and select the option to detect installed bootmgrs. Select your Manjaro and boot it.
Start a terminal and post the output of

$ inxi -Fzx
$ ls /boot/efi/EFI
$ efibootmgr -v

Please read up the Manjaro wiki on uefi installation.
Also read on how to make an installation usb.
I think your install usb is not made well.

If you’ve read it, it will tell you to select the $esp and mount as /boot/efi (sda1)
And do not format that sda1.
Reminder you must install in uefi mode.

Oh, now that you’ve said it, I noticed I looked at the wrong part of the user guide, and didn’t check the wiki, sorry.
Formating the patitions with gparted is ok (sda7,8 and 9)? I’m going to follow the instructions from there now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark