Manjaro Awesome edition 17.1.12 (updated to 17.1.12.1)

awesome-wm
iso

Manjaro Awesome 17.1.12.1 ISO

I will be the new maintainer for this edition from now on. It is based on the great work done by @Chrysostomus with some changes, most of which are because of my personal preference. It is only available as a minimal edition, since it’s more suitable for this kind of standalone window manager experience.

Updated from 17.1.12 to 17.1.12.1 in order to resolve some minor issues.

Download from OSDN:

Downloads:

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | torrent

Info, Tips and Tricks

General Tips

1. You can configure awesome-wm by editing ~/.config/awesome/rc.lua file.
  2. You can autostart applications by adding commands to ~/.config/awesome/autostart.sh file, using the run() function in order to make them start only once (be careful for applications which are created with a different process name and you need to check if they are already running with a custom pgrep command).
  3. You can configure the awesome theme by editing the ~/.config/awesome/themes/cesious/theme.lua file.
  4. This edition is built around some xfce software for user friendliness. The xfsettingsd daemon is started by default and therefore you can use the xfce settings for configurations (appearance, display, power management, mouse/touchpad, etc…).
  5. You can get more ideas from the arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesomehttps://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/awesome

Make use of CSD (Client Side Decorations)

This edition uses gtk3-classic and has CSD disabled by default since it causes some problems (like not being able to unmaximize a CSD app). However, if you want to save some screen space then you can use CSD by adding at the end of ~/.profile the line

export GTK_CSD=1

Then edit ~/.config/awesome/rc.lua find the lines:

{ rule_any = {type = { "normal", "dialog" } },
      properties = { titlebars_enabled = true }
},

and change them to:

{ rule_any = {type = { "normal", "dialog" } },
      except_any = {class = {"Gedit", "Pamac-manager", "Pamac-updater" } },
      properties = { titlebars_enabled = true }
},

Add more classes for all the CSD apps that you don’t want them to have titlebars. Then logout/login.

Add missing extras

1. Extra Applications not included in this minimal edition:
    sudo pacman -S compton-confg gimp guvcview libreoffice-fresh lightdm-settings simple-scan thunderbird transmission-gtk

2. Better AUR support:
    sudo pacman -S base-devel git yay

3. Printing Support
    sudo pacman -S manjaro-printer

Add to ~/.config/awesome/autorun.sh the lines:
    if ! pgrep applet.py ; then
      system-config-printer-applet &
    fi

4. Bluetooth Support
    sudo pacman -S blueman pulseaudio-bluetooth
    systemctl enable --now bluetooth

Add to ~/.config/awesome/autorun.sh the line:
    run blueman-applet

5. Samba Sharing Support
    sudo pacman -S thunar-shares-plugin-gtk3

Then reboot.
  6. Add Manjaro Settings Notifier
    sudo pacman -S manjaro-settings-manager-notifier

Add to ~/.config/awesome/autorun.sh the line:
    run msm_notifier

Thank you so much for taking over this edition. Much appreciatted. I look forward to test it.

I hope you’ll like it. I’m still trying to get the hang of awesome-wm, so I haven’t changed much comparing to the previous release. Feel free to make any suggestions if you want :slight_smile:

Hi Thanos!
Thank you for picking up this edition!
I already commen in Openbox 18 beta 6 topic that your ISO initialises the mhwd-live script correctly allowing me to boot with the amdgpu driver. (But that’s a bit off-topic for feedback on desktop.)

I found these issues:

• manjaro-architect doesn’t launch from the menu, it does launch from /usr/share/application/manjaro-architect.desktop from within Thunar.
  • I miss some useful CLI applications, I would recommend to install bmenu with all its dependencies
>>> sudo pacman -S bmenu                                                                                                                                                                                 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (10) brandr-0.2-3  dmidecode-3.1-2  expac-9-1  links-2.16-1  lshw-B.02.18-2  mhwd-tui-0.4-1  pacui-1.11-1  xorg-xinput-1.6.2-2  xorg-xrandr-1.5.0-1  bmenu-0.5-3

Total Download Size:    4.70 MiB
Total Installed Size:  15.88 MiB
  • The ISO boots to DM, autologin for live session is not set.
  • maybe later I find more …

Damn! Thx for finding the problem. It seems like terminal apps cannot be launched within xfce4-terminal for some reason. Oddly enough they work fine if I set for terminal xterm, urxvt, lxterminal even tilix. But they don’t work with xfce4-terminal, mate-teminal and gnome-terminal. I need to dig more into this.

Sure, I could add back a few more terminal apps from those I removed. Apart from bmenu I will see what other terminal apps are used in both i3 and bspwm editions (assuming these will be the most popular) and add a few of them.

A similar issue on Openbox with termite.

Another popular terminal app to add would be ranger.

On second thought both bmenu and ranger are a bit redundant and confusing since their functionality is already covered by xfce settings, manjaro settings manager and thunar. They are probably better for the more minimalistic editions (i3, bspwm, openbox-minimal/basic) and not so much for this one.

For the terminal problem… Rofi throws the error:

xfce4-terminal: Unknown option "/usr/bin/setup"

when I run Manjaro Architect from it. This is the same error if I manually run

xfce4-terminal /usr/bin/setup

My guess is that some terminals like xterm understand a string option as a command and execute it. Some other terminals like xfce4-terminal and termite need an option to execute it (for example it should be xfce4-terminal -e /usr/bin/setup). However, neither awesome nor rofi use such an option. So, I can do an upstream report to xfce4-terminal to add such a functionality in the future, but for now I am thinking of replacing it with a terminal that works well with awesome and rofi. I found sakura which is only based on vte3 and it takes about 200 KB space. It seems to work really good, I found some really good reviews and it’s much more easily configurable (although a bit limited) than xterm or rxvt. What do you think about it? Have you ever use it?

Since bmenu does not have a desktop file, why would it be confusing?

Yeah, there is a lot of overlap, but bmenu also has a lot of functionality not covered like:

• file search
  • managing systemd services
  • enable hibernation
  • enable autologin
  • show file system usage
  • browse web
  • connect to internet
  • work in terminal when xorg is broken

Bmenu was originally intended to be included in all manjaro editions by default. It’s development got stalled though. But naturally, you can do as you see fit, no pressure

I have tested it briefly, seemed okay. Another option to test could be lxterminal.

My problem with bmenu is that some settings like appearance won’t work because of xfsettingsd and that can be confusing or even make bmenu seem like a bad application, when it is actually a great fit for the i3 and bspwm editions. So, I believe the best solution is to add it as an >extra application, but it will have to wait for the next release since I only release a minimal profile for now because I want to create a separate manjaro-awesome-settings-extra package in order to autostart blueman-applet, printer-applet and some other stuff for the extra profile.

Yeah lxterminal was my first thought but I have concerns about how actively maintained will be in the future. From first sight sakura seems more actively maintained.

That’s a good rationale.

Sakura is starting a new process for each terminal which takes about 11 MB of RAM, whereas lxterminal is started only 1 process which takes about 13 MB and increases only a bit with each new terminal. So, I decided to go with lxterminal.

I made a 17.1.12.1 release to solve some issues (mostly the terminal one). @philm whenever you can update the links to the manjaro.org site too.

manjaro-architect starts from the main menu now