Manjaro Awesome 18.1.0-rc4 ISO (testing branch)

Hi all,

I'm happy to announce a release candidate for Manjaro Awesome. This build is based on Manjaro Xfce 18.1.0-rc4.

As was announced in this topic, from now on the Awesome edition will mimic the package selection of the Xfce edition (except, of course, the DE itself). Even though Awesome is a minimal window manager, I am of the opinion that the rest of the distro does not need to be minimal. Minimalists, don't despair however: whereas the full ISO is 1.98GB, I also released a minimal ISO of only 1.21GB.

Package changes

Most notable additions (note that these are all absent from the minimal iso):

• gnome-software-snap
  • flatpak
  • apparmor
  • android-tools
  • ntp
  • xfce4-taskmanager
  • xfce4-screenshooter
  • hexchat
  • a number of fonts
  • a number of drivers related to libva

Replaced:

• libreoffice-fresh was replaced by libreoffice-still

Removed:

• yay

Awesome ISO 18.1.0-rc4 testing branch

dl-button

Full ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | packages

Minimal ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | packages

Feedback

Check the Testing Update 2019-07-16 topic for known issues with packages shared with the Xfce release.

Are there packages that you think don't make sense on the Awesome edition? Is anything not working like you expected? Please provide some feedback on what you think about this release.

25 Likes

hi frank
I tried this with an AMD 200GE, built in Radeon Vega graphics and it didn't work
Booted then I got 'no display output' on my monitor, couldn't even do a ctrl+alt+f2
this rig runs other manjaro distros fine, xfce, KDE.....
motherboard is an Asus B350M-A
cheers

1 Like

A number of things to check:

• You said the other distros are running fine. Are those also on the testing branch?
  • Does the stable version of Manjaro Awesome (18.0.4, released a few weeks ago) work?
  • When do you get the black screen? With the live CD or after installing, right after grub, after logging in or something else?
  • what happens if you try the usual suspect kernel boot parameters (acpi = off, nolapic and nomodset, Google them for usage instructions)?
1 Like

Removed yay?! Why? D:

Yay is not in the Xfce edition, and pamac has replaced yay as AUR helper. I still see yay being used a lot on the forum, but I don't know if that's just inertia or if yay is actually better. What would be the most important reason for you to have yay in the ISO?

1 Like

Well, KDE came with the package manager Octopi, which actually cannot use the AUR until you install deprecated AUR helpers which are allegedly worse than yay. So, when I needed to use the AUR, I used yay instead.

Later, I uninstalled Octopi to switch to pamac, which is better, albeit Manjaro-specific. I no longer use yay and would not have had I used a DE that comes with pamac like (I assume) Xfce. But my loyalties to yay persist to this day. Also, I don't even use Xfce because it has bugs and causes my ROG SWIFT 144 Hz 1440p G-SYNC monitor to flicker and stutter horribly even with prop drivers; I stumbled here in a stupor while trying to find out where to get the 18.1.0-rc5 KDE ISO. :kissing_closed_eyes: Disregard

Yay is used by pacui to browse aur packages. I don't think pacui still supports pamac. @excalibur1234?

yay package
select number and it's done.

pamac search package
search for the package name/version/repo you want to use. and then
pamac build package
or
pamac install package

yay is faster, simpler, and can do everything pamac does in less steps. can also be used for full updates though i use pacman for those. i still like having pamac gui installed for browsing different packages but other than that i alwaya use yay/pacman . does it need to come pre-installed? no.

also, i meant to mention this before in regard to default packages and the choice of including snap, flatpak, and the rest of the junk thats being put onto the flagship editions of manjaro. since the community editions dont need to include this redundant crapware, i was relieved to know that they probably wouldnt spill onto the awesome edition.
i understand the logic behind pulling in whatever xfce does but cant some of the garbage be left out so that we can keep awesome, awesome?

1 Like