Manjaro as my daily drive

“So I make a root, a home and a swap. If I have to re install I just install it in the root, right?”

I make a separate partition so nothing remains of the old os. Some settings are/were kept in the home directory. I’ve arrived at Manjaro after a number of other distros and this method as saved me a lot of hassle,

My 3tb disk is sda1 swap 2gb
sda2 / 40gb
sda3 /run/media/me/spare 898gb
sda4 /run/media/me/store 1.81tb
sda3 was originally a old home directory saved after a re-installation and subsequently re-named which is caused by following the usual preferred rule of having a separate home partition.

for @rafi_hasan

If already running Mint and switching, I would suggest you to check out MX Linux also. Based on Debian (not Ubuntu like regular Mint), much lighter and faster, fast as Manjaro, but simpler, with less chances that something may go wrong. And since it is based on Debian (like Mint through Ubuntu) you should be already familiar with few things.

Manjaro has latest software which is great. Debian based systems are very stable (perfect for beginners) but have older software versions, which turns many away. MX Linux is actively backporting newer versions and that way mitigate cons of Debian slowness.

Bottom line, you may really like MX Linux and it is stable and much of it’s software is updated. MX is really easy to use. Let me give you an example. Once you have set it as you want, install software you like, with few button clicks you easy make install-able iso so it becomes your perfect backup, with all your settings, documents and installed software (see “snapshot” or is it “mx snapshot” in mx tools). If you decide to have that iso for distributing for others, say you want to have your own MX flavor that others will install, all you do is one additional click and choose iso is for distribution for others and your personal data is not included. How simple is this…

Give it a try, you may like it.

I suggest you place the computer on the ground and back away slowly. This world was not meant for your kind.

The ‘rolling release is less stable than a point release’ is totally a stereotype BS.
I can’t even count how many times the F**Ubuntu distro upgrade broke my whole system.
For a daily desktop OS, I would even recommend using rolling release distro because it’s more close to users’ habits. If this is a worry, reading forum before major updates is usually enough to avoid system break.
Though I heard that Solus is more suitable for Linux newcomers with zero Linux knowledge, people would probably find less software support there.

I like them all, personally I find switching distros every now and then keeps life interesting as they all have their nuances. In my case I also switched from Mint to Manjaro as well. The appeal was rolling updates and staying almost bleeding edge.

Cannot agree with you more. I distro hop a lot, but I always come back to Manjaro KDE Plasma and will likely make it my permanent distro. But every single time Ubuntu based, Debian based, Fedora, etc… they all break, but for some reason Manjaro has never broken on me. I’ve come to the conclusion that fan boys of certain distros are better at spreading lies and misinformation when it comes to distros breaking and such.

dunno man, using manjaro now, playing dota and using chrome and bracket for my web development $hit. Feeling pretty welcomed :slight_smile:

If I’m honest, then I fear that Manjaro, as much as I love it, may not be the right fit. And admittedly, Linux Mint is the best for new users as it is based on Ubuntu LTS and has a conservative update policy. Manjaro is a rolling release. Just check our the thread of the last stable update to see what occasionally can happen to your system, even if you do everything allright.

While for me Manjaros updates seem to mean less hassle than Win10 Updates (but I only know them from the news sections of IT blogs :slight_smile: ), YMMV.

Another very fine option of an absolutely NOT breaking Linux system: CentOS (needs a bit more to make it your own, but it’ll run like a pocket calculator afterwards).

I started using Linux after relatives with kids visited and I had to spend hours and hours removing all PUPs etc from the borrowed win laptops. My kids were getting closer to the age where they might start using them and I sought to minimise the risks and minimise the hours spent on tech-admin.
I set myself the challenge to try to do everything in the GUIs rather than commands/editing config files. That way tech admin could more likely largely be transferred to the kids themselves.

I started with Kubuntu. Dual-boot. 2 laptops. It increased the amount of tech-admin for a while. I did feel more at ease about the risk of malware, but I was a bit disappointed about the number of glitches etc…
Switched to SolydXK first because they were rolling. My first venture outside main, commercially supported distros. They gave up on “rolling” so I switched to Manjaro.

Manjaro has not been without problems or glitches, but it has easily been my favourite distro.
Little work. Stable.
My lessons/tips.

1. I do not use timeshift etc. i just accept occasional full reinstalls are easiest.
  2. I backup what I need to a NAS (and occasionally other media). So I do not use recovery strategies, separate partitions for data etc. on the clients. I just use standard installs with LUKS encryption. I work from the perspective: If it is important then it does not belong as permanent storage on a client.
  3. I use KDE/Plasma and at least one other DE that is not based the same underlying distro. That way I can start up if configs get messed up. I use KDE and Cinnamon, usually. On 4 computers in 4 years I have twice had a situation where KDE configs got messed up, this way I could start in Cinnamon and backup some last data, then re-format & install.
  4. I have occasionally run code, usually copied from the forums to the command-line, or sometimes when installing copied from other sources, like tvheadend will run as a service and require a start and enable command line. But I try to avoid command lines. You cannot always escape them: my hp-printer requires “sudo hp-setup” for example, which I can copy from the forum. :slight_smile:
  5. I have thoroughly enjoyed Manjaro and I have donated.
  6. I have started liking ChromeOS as well, because it requires even less maintenance than Manjaro and a whole lot less then Win. So I am hoping to use ChromeOS on daily drivers with Crostini linux added for docx compatibility and off-line working. Beside that I’ll keep Manjaro for “heavy lifting”: 2 media-centres with lots of streaming etc. but also for Video-editing and photo-editing.
    My preferences and approach are not to everyone’s taste, but I like it that way.
    If ChromeOS can meet your requirements it is without any doubt the stablest/least prone to glitches OS I know of, but it achieves that by reducing what you can do i.e. your freedom. Cloudready can be a PC alternative to Chromebooks.

My advice: try them out, all of them for a long enough time to make your own decision. If you like the GNOME way, you won’t find it elsewhere. KDE is certainly the one that you can make it your own in the most aspects you can imagine, but you’ll need a bit time to get there. XFCE is in the middle ground I’d say.

I have ‘broken’ my Manjaro installation 3 times, onces without an update. Evry single time it happened I was screwing around with things I don’t understand. Everytime it happened, the next time I knew better, so really I am educating myself after a broken system and learning what went wrong has helped me tremendously. I used to be scared of the terminal, now it’s my preferred choice of doing things. Just dive in and give yourself some time, the reward of using Manjaro is very much worth it.

yeah i also borked my linux installation many times and most of the time because of dual boot
then i learned how to chroot after manjaro gave kernel panic, sound broken
wine games not working
well many problems
i didn’t even know how to setup vpn using openvpn
distro hopped at least 20 distros
well now i am not at the begginer level but still
very very far from advanced level
you dont learn linux until you break it

you learn also linux if you try to not break it !

thts what im doing reading forum and wiki