Manjaro as my daily drive

Windows is commercial software, you are a customer.

Linux is community based open source software, you are not a customer but a member of a community, the philosopical difference could not be greater.

Then Manjaro is probably not the distro for you, even if you make extensive use of Timeshift.

Manjaro is a rolling Arch based distro, to successfully maintain a Manjaro system you will need to learn and acquire a solid Arch Linux knowledge foundation.

There are multiple stable updates a month and reading update announcements and understanding how this effects your system is highly recommended. Blindly applying updates with no understanding will eventually lead to a broken system, without any knowledge to diagnose and fix, no matter how trivial the issue.

If learning Linux is not your thing then, which is fine, a distro like Mint is probably a better bet, but even then a certain degree of knowledge is still beneficial.

Try 'em all, nobody can answer this for you.

DE preferences are a personal as culinary preferences …

So I make a root, a home and a swap. If I have to re install I just install it in the root, right?

Well I’m not afraid of googling my way through a problem. And I’m a basic user, pretty confident I wont make any mess, I really liked the look of manjaro, as it has time shift, and stable tested updates, guess I’ll get stability and a modern looking os.

Little bit of effort will reap large rewards in terms of Manjaro stability and enjoyment.

The Arch Wiki and Manjaro forum are your best resources.

As a minimum I would suggest learning and understanding the Linux boot process.

2013-2014 I came from Mint (KDE) to Manjaro. I was a bloody beginner and the terminal was a horrible one. I started with XFCE and stayed with xfce for a long time.
I tried a lot during this time and if the system was broken it was mostly my mistake and not Manjaro’s mistake. For example, I uninstalled dependencies and the system didn’t want to boot anymore. Rarely has Manjaro caused errors mostly it was the problem in front of the monitor. What I wouldn’t do anymore are multible DE installations on one partition, rather a separate partition for each DE. I was happy to start with xfce, because you can modify a lot (I always missed that with Gnome). Years later I switched back to KDE because KDE is highly modifiable. In all those years MAnjaro only shot me once with the installation and I was on unstable branch. timeshift is a nice application but even if you don’t use it and use a separate home partition a system is set up in less than an hour. Believe me, I have experience with it: To Mint (Ubuntu ect.) these systems made me crazy with almost every update has something stuck and often I had to reinstall the whole system. Don’t panic about the terminal you don’t need it more often than with other Linux systems but it is like everywhere helpful to know how to use it and the experience and the will comes with time. it is unusual for ex Windows users but the advantage will become clear to you and with time you will use the terminal more and more often. Today I unconsciously open a terminal faster than I do something with the mouse as others have advised you, use Timeschift, try the DE’s that interest you and get happy.

greetings
genista

It used to be, that xfce is the most safe for beginners, less likely that something would go wrong. Just look at the update prior the last one, xfce was the least affected.

While I agree Manjaro is better than Mint, you must first ask why you are switching away from Mint? Is it working for you?

This questions pops up often in these forums. the reality is different distro’s fit different tastes and needs. My honest advice is, if you don’t want to spend the time to really dig into Linux and Mint is working fine then stick with Mint.

Manjaro probably will require more learning for you than Mint (for one Pacman vs apt).

“Daily driver” needs a diver.

xfce is ok

kde is the only de you want:sweat_smile:

If you are not into learning Linux, then Mint is the better choice for you. Any rolling system will eventually break if you don’t read the update notices and perform maintenence tasks. If your not into doing stuff like that then a static distro like Mint is best for you.

Apearances can easily be changed, if Mints theming is not to your liking.

well but to change appearance you need to tinker and its same everywhere.
unless we use hurd instead of linux

I recently made the switch from Window 10 Pro and went with KDE. I love it. I tried a few out and decided on KDE.

“So I make a root, a home and a swap. If I have to re install I just install it in the root, right?”

I make a separate partition so nothing remains of the old os. Some settings are/were kept in the home directory. I’ve arrived at Manjaro after a number of other distros and this method as saved me a lot of hassle,

My 3tb disk is sda1 swap 2gb
sda2 / 40gb
sda3 /run/media/me/spare 898gb
sda4 /run/media/me/store 1.81tb
sda3 was originally a old home directory saved after a re-installation and subsequently re-named which is caused by following the usual preferred rule of having a separate home partition.

for @rafi_hasan

If already running Mint and switching, I would suggest you to check out MX Linux also. Based on Debian (not Ubuntu like regular Mint), much lighter and faster, fast as Manjaro, but simpler, with less chances that something may go wrong. And since it is based on Debian (like Mint through Ubuntu) you should be already familiar with few things.

Manjaro has latest software which is great. Debian based systems are very stable (perfect for beginners) but have older software versions, which turns many away. MX Linux is actively backporting newer versions and that way mitigate cons of Debian slowness.

Bottom line, you may really like MX Linux and it is stable and much of it’s software is updated. MX is really easy to use. Let me give you an example. Once you have set it as you want, install software you like, with few button clicks you easy make install-able iso so it becomes your perfect backup, with all your settings, documents and installed software (see “snapshot” or is it “mx snapshot” in mx tools). If you decide to have that iso for distributing for others, say you want to have your own MX flavor that others will install, all you do is one additional click and choose iso is for distribution for others and your personal data is not included. How simple is this…

Give it a try, you may like it.

I suggest you place the computer on the ground and back away slowly. This world was not meant for your kind.

The ‘rolling release is less stable than a point release’ is totally a stereotype BS.
I can’t even count how many times the F**Ubuntu distro upgrade broke my whole system.
For a daily desktop OS, I would even recommend using rolling release distro because it’s more close to users’ habits. If this is a worry, reading forum before major updates is usually enough to avoid system break.
Though I heard that Solus is more suitable for Linux newcomers with zero Linux knowledge, people would probably find less software support there.

I like them all, personally I find switching distros every now and then keeps life interesting as they all have their nuances. In my case I also switched from Mint to Manjaro as well. The appeal was rolling updates and staying almost bleeding edge.

Cannot agree with you more. I distro hop a lot, but I always come back to Manjaro KDE Plasma and will likely make it my permanent distro. But every single time Ubuntu based, Debian based, Fedora, etc… they all break, but for some reason Manjaro has never broken on me. I’ve come to the conclusion that fan boys of certain distros are better at spreading lies and misinformation when it comes to distros breaking and such.