Manjaro as my daily drive

I’m done with windows.
Been researching about linux for a month now. Have tried linux mint and discussed a thing or two in some linux community.

Main reason I am quitting windows is updates ruins everything. And its loaded with bloatware.

Tried linux mint as everyone was screaming it is the best for new users.
The thing is, I don’t wanna learn linux or become a wizard of terminal.
I just need a os that will look good and won’t crash.

Manjaro looked way better than mint so really wanna use it. I dont even have a extra gpu to be in driver related problems, guess eevry linix distros supports intel hd out of the box.

I can solve normal problems by myself but don’t wanna deal with fresh installation after system breaks.
Manjaro is rr so it has higher chances of crashing (I heard this the most)
I noticed update policies in mint (like dont break my computer) and time shift (which is similar to windows restore point I guess)
What I want to know is if those s are available in manjaro too.
I am a basic user, won’t do ■■■■■ that would break the system. I just want the system to not to break itself.

Theres about a dozen or so threads that have asked this question in varying ways.

The system is considered your responsibility. No, it wont break on its own, but may require manual intervention.

There are no ‘update policies’ like on mint … simply Stable, Testing, and Unstable branches.

Read the other threads… test it out.

Hey man, thanks for your reply. Please answer this final question: Which one should I install, gnome, kde or xfse (something like that :sweat_smile: )

Oh no, not a ‘which DE’ thread in disguise?!

:smile:

Just having fun … that question is one of the most contentious and prevalent thread around here too. Have a read of a few thousand of those posts as well.
In the end, it is up to your tastes.

Crashes are inevitable for any system.
To help yourself add another partition when installing where all your important work is placed and when that inevitable happens you can just re-install into the original os partitions leaving all your work in place having kept your installation media updated. Other data can be transferred to that partition with the use of the live media before overwriting.
The extra partition should be part of the default setup!!

Windows is commercial software, you are a customer.

Linux is community based open source software, you are not a customer but a member of a community, the philosopical difference could not be greater.

Then Manjaro is probably not the distro for you, even if you make extensive use of Timeshift.

Manjaro is a rolling Arch based distro, to successfully maintain a Manjaro system you will need to learn and acquire a solid Arch Linux knowledge foundation.

There are multiple stable updates a month and reading update announcements and understanding how this effects your system is highly recommended. Blindly applying updates with no understanding will eventually lead to a broken system, without any knowledge to diagnose and fix, no matter how trivial the issue.

If learning Linux is not your thing then, which is fine, a distro like Mint is probably a better bet, but even then a certain degree of knowledge is still beneficial.

Try 'em all, nobody can answer this for you.

DE preferences are a personal as culinary preferences …

So I make a root, a home and a swap. If I have to re install I just install it in the root, right?

Well I’m not afraid of googling my way through a problem. And I’m a basic user, pretty confident I wont make any mess, I really liked the look of manjaro, as it has time shift, and stable tested updates, guess I’ll get stability and a modern looking os.

Little bit of effort will reap large rewards in terms of Manjaro stability and enjoyment.

The Arch Wiki and Manjaro forum are your best resources.

As a minimum I would suggest learning and understanding the Linux boot process.

2013-2014 I came from Mint (KDE) to Manjaro. I was a bloody beginner and the terminal was a horrible one. I started with XFCE and stayed with xfce for a long time.
I tried a lot during this time and if the system was broken it was mostly my mistake and not Manjaro’s mistake. For example, I uninstalled dependencies and the system didn’t want to boot anymore. Rarely has Manjaro caused errors mostly it was the problem in front of the monitor. What I wouldn’t do anymore are multible DE installations on one partition, rather a separate partition for each DE. I was happy to start with xfce, because you can modify a lot (I always missed that with Gnome). Years later I switched back to KDE because KDE is highly modifiable. In all those years MAnjaro only shot me once with the installation and I was on unstable branch. timeshift is a nice application but even if you don’t use it and use a separate home partition a system is set up in less than an hour. Believe me, I have experience with it: To Mint (Ubuntu ect.) these systems made me crazy with almost every update has something stuck and often I had to reinstall the whole system. Don’t panic about the terminal you don’t need it more often than with other Linux systems but it is like everywhere helpful to know how to use it and the experience and the will comes with time. it is unusual for ex Windows users but the advantage will become clear to you and with time you will use the terminal more and more often. Today I unconsciously open a terminal faster than I do something with the mouse as others have advised you, use Timeschift, try the DE’s that interest you and get happy.

greetings
genista

It used to be, that xfce is the most safe for beginners, less likely that something would go wrong. Just look at the update prior the last one, xfce was the least affected.

While I agree Manjaro is better than Mint, you must first ask why you are switching away from Mint? Is it working for you?

This questions pops up often in these forums. the reality is different distro’s fit different tastes and needs. My honest advice is, if you don’t want to spend the time to really dig into Linux and Mint is working fine then stick with Mint.

Manjaro probably will require more learning for you than Mint (for one Pacman vs apt).

“Daily driver” needs a diver.

xfce is ok

kde is the only de you want:sweat_smile:

If you are not into learning Linux, then Mint is the better choice for you. Any rolling system will eventually break if you don’t read the update notices and perform maintenence tasks. If your not into doing stuff like that then a static distro like Mint is best for you.

Apearances can easily be changed, if Mints theming is not to your liking.

well but to change appearance you need to tinker and its same everywhere.
unless we use hurd instead of linux

I recently made the switch from Window 10 Pro and went with KDE. I love it. I tried a few out and decided on KDE.