Manjaro as guest in VirtualBox, Shared Folder?

virtualbox

Hi @all, I’m absolutely new to Manjaro, installed it today as VirtualMachine running in an UBUNTU-host. I’m really impressed, how fast and easy I the install-process was managed.
The Host’s VirtualBox is version 5.2.8 and is running fine, several other VM’s share one folder /mnt/Data… (havin the AutoMount option activated) perfectly.
But in VM Manjaro I don’t really find a way to install GuestAdditions or to see that folder.
Any help appreciated, thank you
Michael

Update the mirror list on Manjaro (it is a common issue at the moment)

Then search for virtualbox-guest-utils in the graphical package manager, it usually called “Add/ remove software” in the menu

normally the guest addition are installed automatically during installation. if not follow @Lolix post
you may need to add your user in the vboxuser vboxsf group and reboot
and find the shared folder in /media

I’m not sure of this at the moment, for sure there are in Live mode

I reinstalled manjaro-kde at work in a vm few weeks ago… and I didn’t had to install them or activate the service… just had to add my user in the right group.

EDIT: I had to create the /media folder as it was not created by the installer… and virtual box could not put the shared folder

From my notes:

sudo systemctl enable vboxservice
sudo mkdir /media
sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxsf

yes I just remembered that /media was not present after installation and I found that weird. :thinking: @philm
I don’t think the chown is needed. it should stay owned by root.

Thanks everybody for your time and proposals. It works now! This is, what I did:

Using octopi, I found that virtualbox-guest-utils was installed; the Info-page shows:

virtualbox-guest-utils
VirtualBox Guest userspace utilities
Internetseite/URL: http://virtualbox.org
Version: 5.2.6-2
Lizenzen: GPL custom
needs: glibc pam libx11 libxcomposite libxdamage libxext libxfixes libxmu libxt xorg-xrandr VIRTUALBOX-GUEST-MODULES
Is in Conflic with: virtualbox-archlinux-additions virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-guest-utils-nox
Ersetzt: virtualbox-archlinux-additions virtualbox-guest-additions
Size  Downloads: 0.00 Bytes
Size  Installation: 8.08 MiB
Packager: Christian Hesse <arch@eworm.de>
Architektur: x86_64
Bild Datum
Mo. - 29/01/2018 21:00:28
Installationsgrund: Explicitly installed

I was wondering about version 5.2.6 as my main system has virtualbox 5.2.8-121009~Ubuntu~zesty …

In a terminal:
sudo usermod -aG vboxsf $USER

At that point, the Manjaro-VM was re-started but /media did not exist after that. Again in a terminal:

[UserName@ManjaroPC ~]$ sudo systemctl enable vboxservice
[sudo] Passwort for UserName: 
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxservice.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxservice.service.
[UserName@ManjaroPC ~]$ sudo mkdir /media
[UserName@ManjaroPC ~]$ sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxsf
Benutzer UserName added to group vboxsf hinzugefügt.
[UserName@ManjaroPC ~]$

Of course, /media was present now, but not more. So again a re-start for the Manjaro VM and after that besides /media also /media/sf_data is available and all files in the shared folder are accessible. There was no drive or location shown in Dolphin for /media/sf_data which is added automatically in DEBIAN-based VMs; I added it manually.

As the Wiki-page for this topic did not solve it (for me) and the video-URLs are broken, may be we want to link this solution there?

Thanks again, great experience and pleasure to communicate with you!
Regards Michael

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.