Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Raspberry Pi 4!

Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Raspberry Pi 4!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce the second test release for the Raspberry Pi 4!

This is an indication of how far upstream (Raspberry Pi) is with 64-bit support.

This is also the place where you get a preview of the upcoming XFCE edition, that will be "replacing" the LXQT images going forward. Thanks to @Darksky for making the XFCE edition a reality!

Remember: LXQT editions can still be installed from the manjaro-arm-installer.

XFCE
Idle:

Busy:

Download:
XFCE

Features:

The Raspberry Pi 4 is the latest upgrade in the Raspberry Pi SBC series. This one has a Quadcore A72 CPU, up to 4 GB of LPDDR4 RAM, 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0 ports, double micro-HDMI ports, AC Wifi, Bluetooth 5.0 and Gigabit ethernet.

So this is basically the upgrade for Raspberry Pi everyone has been waiting for!

How to install:

Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

Put the SD card into Raspberry Pi 4's SD card slot on the main board and boot it up. The Raspberry Pi 4 should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot, it will display an OEM installer. After you have made your choices it will reboot into your newly setup system.

Known Issues:

• No VC4 driver yet for 64-bit.
  • OS can only see up to 3GB of RAM, even if the device has more.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM via Patreon, Ko-Fi or to Manjaro's Paypal.

12 Likes

You Sir, Mr Strit, are a legend:-) I will be downloading this tonight and testing it:-). Thank you so much for this. You are an angel. I appreciate all the work you and your team put into these distros and make Manjaro available to the Pi Users in the world:-)

Downloaded, extracted and installed and running, so far.....sooooooo good. Really pleased with it, love the setup process and the fact it sees at least the 3gb of Ram:-) it works like a dream. Very pleased:-) some of your finest work good sir.

1 Like

Man, this is awesome! Thanks for the effort.

My Pi 4 didn't even arrive yet and still I'm super excited to try this once it does.

Is audio all setup and working out of the box now or are their still modifications that need to be made? I am not seeing a Pulse Audio device, but the changes from preview 1 that were suggested for audio already seem to be included. Figured I would ask before I dig in too deep. Thanks!

I do have audio through my HDMI. I haven't been able to get the analog audio working correctly.

1 Like

Haven't tried HDMI, will keep tinkering until I see someone else figures it out.

I don't know why you guys are having problems with Audio, My install has all audio options, I also have USB audio available. I did write and install it via a Manjaro distro and it may have helped but i don't know how? I have also dug into the config file, just to let you know, any monitor problems will need to be sorted via xrandr, would have been nice to have raspi-config available to adjust stuff but it's a finicky program at the best of times so no biggy. Looking forward to support of the Videocore GPU, but in the meantime, I've added extra memory to the GPU allotment in /boot/config.txt (it's only currently set to 64mb). Haven't tried dual monitors yet, will report back if anything changes. Still massively impressed and appreciative of the guys building this...i feel it's like my baby seeing as it's my ideal distro:-)

So fresh install of Preview 2 and you have analog audio working with no other modifications? I was going to try USB DAC next, but on initial attempt was drawing too much power and system did not respond to keyboard. Will see if I have something higher than 3A around.

1 Like

Yep, Audio working through HDMI, 4pole Jack and any USB Sound card. Good quality Audio too in my opinion (but don't take my word for it as i could be tone-deaf lol ) I don't use the Raspberry Pi official HDMI cable, it's a bit cack in my opinion. Poor quality, made cheap. Got me an adaptor off eBay and use a high quality Amazon cable so could be the cables not well wired. Make sure you definitely use a high power adapter for the mains supply, don't use a Samsung one, the circuitry inside them seems not to favour the Pi4. I purchase most of mine from Technet as they're quite reputable and work with anything:-)

1 Like

So far so good, having a slight issue with setting up a Samba share.
/etc/samba/smb.conf is nowhere to be found.
Tried what was suggested here, install manjaro-settings-samba:

unfortunately this package doesn't seem to be available for ARMv8, yet, hopefully.

[edit]
Copied smb.conf from another installation, will see how it goes from there.

We don't have samba set up out of the box.

I can add the settings package to the repo, so it can be installed if you need it.

Yes please, that would be great, thanks Strit. :+1:
[edit]
Thanks for adding the package, all's working fine now. :+1:

PSA
It has been reported that the pi4 may have the ability to overheat.
[this is in general - it has nothing to do with manjaro]
Please pay attention and/or think about cooling solutions.
Also, of course, dont take my word for it .. go look it up and think about it :wink:

In follow up to cscs's post, this could be potentially a helpful place to start tracking this issue:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=243500&hilit=raspberry+pi+4+overheat

Absolutely.
Already have a Flirc case for my LibreELEC pi4 and a one of these is on the way for my Manjaro NAS/Torrent pi4.

That said, I ran my LibreELEC pi4 without heatsink for a month or so and never got any heat warnings or had any problems.

From what I understand .. it is not so much 'locking up' or similar .. but rather wear.
As in .. the machine will function properly .. but may die an untimely death without mitigation.
[ also - pretty box :wink: ]

Slightly OT: How much do these FLIRC and Heatsink-Cases affect WIFI and Bluetooth, as they must block the Antennas? Would it help to remove the bottom piece?

And can the CPU-Temperature be measured, as the "vcgencmd"-Commands from Raspbian don't seem to work?

Otherwise, this preview seems to work OK already, at last after short testing. Nice to have a familiar System on the PI :wink:

The comparative data collected by ETA PRIME in his YouTube video suggests that The ICE Tower Cooling Fan seems to work very well. It also operated effectively as a passive cooling solution with the fan disconnected. Unfortunately they don't appear to be available in Europe at present:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/ICE-Tower-CPU-Cooling-Fan-for-Raspberry-pi-Support-Pi-4-p-4097.html

Kernel update for the Rpi4 is coming soon. It will contain a fix, so all 4 GB of ram is available.

1 Like