Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Pinebook Pro

Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Pinebook Pro!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to anounce the second test release for the Pinebook Pro!

But thanks to @tsys and @Manawyrm, we do have a working 5.4 RC with most things working!

These images are running a 5.4 RC kernel, which is basically mainline, but with a few patches to include Pinebook Pro support. They are also running the Panfrost driver, which may result in a few graphical issues on XFCE, like the wallpaper being deactivated on first login and some tray icons missing. (Panfrost issue, not present when using fbturbo)

Changes since Preview1:

• Support for charging through USB-C added.
  • Added sound support, low constant static from speakers. (being worked on)
  • All function keys now work.
  • Full power off now work.

KDE Plasma

XFCE

Download:
KDE Plasma
XFCE

Features:

The Pinebook Pro is meant to deliver solid day-to-day Linux or *BSD experience and to be a compelling alternative to mid-ranged Chromebooks that people convert into Linux laptops. In contrast to most mid-ranged Chromebooks however, the Pinebook Pro comes with an IPS 1080p 14″ LCD panel, a premium magnesium alloy shell, 64 of eMMC storage, a 10,000 mAh capacity battery and the modularity / hackability that only an open source project can deliver – such as the unpopulated PCIe m.2 NVMe slot (an optional feature which requires an optional adapter). The USB-C port on the Pinebook Pro, apart from being able to transmit data and charge the unit, is also capable of digital video output up-to 4K at 60hz.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD/eMMC card (8 GB or larger).

The Pinebook Pro should recognize the SD/eMMC card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot, it will display an OEM type install. After you have made your choices it will reboot into your newly setup system.

Known Issues:

• No Bluetooth.
  • Unstable Wifi.
  • Suspend does not work.
  • To show the OEM setup on the XFCE edition, wait until the bootsplash has run for 10-15 seconds, then press ESC.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.

9 Likes

Heya,
Thanks so much for this build. I appreciate all the hard work that's gone into getting Manjaro on the Pinebook Pro. I've been testing it out for a few hours now. I'm currently running it on a SD card. I just wanted to jump in and give a little feedback. I know some of these were mentioned in the post already, but just wanted to share my experience.

The bad

• Wifi is still a bit flaky.
  • The XFCE build does indeed have graphical glitch issues and you need to hit esc after booting
  • Sound does work, but the volume level is really low (much lower than the default debian build). It also doesn't seem to work until you adjust the volume with via the function key, and then it works. There is also an audible crackling which you noted in your post.
  • I also noticed when the wifi crashed it basically rendered the entire desktop unusable.

The good

• After switching to the fbturbo driver things seem to be a little more stable and screen tearing isn't as bad. I've also not had any issues with wifi so far.
  • The function keys work really well, except the suspend (as noted int he post). I haven't tried an external display.
  • Locking the trackpad via the function key seems to help out with the current trackpad issues which plague all of the current builds for the pinebook. If you use a mouse and disable the trackpad it works really well. (even disabling the trackpad in the default debian build causes any input on the trackpad to be detected which prevents you from typing on the keyboard.

Overall a great update to the first preview image. I very much appreciate all the hard work that has gone into these images. In my opinion Manjaro will be the idea distro for the Pinebook Pro. I would think anyone using the Pinebook Pro is likely going to want bleeding edge software and updates making Manjaro a great solution to that. Kudos and keep up the great work. :slight_smile:

Update:
The privacy switches also seem to work well.
meta+F10 = disables the microphones
meta+F11 = disables the wifi (once renabled you'll need to reboot for wifi to work again which is a known bug)
meta+F12 = disables the webcam

5 Likes

This is great feedback. Thanks.

Yeah. we have been trying out different things, even the default debian installs firmware. Nothing seems to fix it.

It's odd. It only happens on the XFCE build. All others, even minimal test images that does not have a GUI, shows the OEM setup just fine.

Yeah. Sound is still a work in progress. But we got the basics done, eg, we have sound output. :stuck_out_tongue:

Installed Preview two (KDE), did an update, and SDDM-KCM is now crashing and I no longer has a user interface. Is this a known issue, and it will be fixed soon?

Yes we're looking at this issues. It seems to be an upstrean issue or a mis match in kde apps and libs needed.

Will update once @Strit Update the repo's

1 Like

I found out what the issue was.
Pushed a new update to the pinebookpro-post-install package that fixes it, but if you can't get in to update, you can get to a TTY and run:
sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-touchpad.conf
Then reboot.

Seems to be an error in my attempt to enable Tap To Click by default.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you. Will try to resolve the same issue later today.

Nice and stable, except known issues. I would not want any other distro on my PBP since I have experienced how well Manjaro performs. XFCE4 background pics and compositor are working fine. However, if you install manjaro-arm-qemu-static the system will be rendered unusable.

Why would you install that? It's only needed by manjaro-arm-tools, which you should not run on the Pinebook anyway. :slight_smile:

Good to know, thanks for the info! I am not yet quite familiar with Manjaro and wanted to experiment with i386 user-mode emulation, was searching for the Manjaro equivalent to Debian's quemu-user-static.

That package is so Manjaro ARM tools can emulate aarch64 code from an x86_64 machine. :slight_smile:

Ah, ok, like typing "google" into Google, I get it :upside_down_face:

You've mentioned internal minimal builds, will there be a bublic minimal PBP manjaro version? Cuzz I'd really like to have a minimal linux build for the PBP.

We don't really do minimal builds for the Pinebooks, beause it would only be a TTY/CLI interface. So you would have to know how to setup wifi and all that jazz from CLI, and not many regular users don't know how to do that.

The minimal builds we did do for internal testing, was just to get the device booting with display.

This fixed it, thank you. Now I will gather feedback. :slight_smile:

meta+F11 = disables the wifi (once renabled you'll need to reboot for wifi to work again which is a known bug)

Hi, I've managed to find a way around (so you don't need to reboot after using the Privacy Switch to turn the Wifi back on): using unbind+bind

2 Likes

I haven't tried an external display.

I did give it a try in one of our meeting rooms at work (we have a huge bunch of adapters attached on keyrings on the HDMI and VGA cables).

Under Manjaro, nothing except charging (with some adapters did work). USB wasn't even detected, nor display, even with adapters that otherwise worked with the default out-of-the-box Pinebook Pro's Debian (An 3rd-party USB-C to Network and Display combo hub, though the USB-A hub didn't work. And Apple's official USB-C to VGA adapter).

Howdy,

Did some testing, and I find that anything above 720 (60FPS) on YouTube will stutter and drop frames. Not sure if this is something that can be addressed in the short term.

Not sure if this is something that can be addressed in the short term.

Hum... is RK3399's hardware video decode even supported by mainstream opensource linux kernel to begin with ?

There is video decoding in mainline. BUT, it does not support VP8 and h264 yet.

Forum kindly sponsored by