Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Odroid N2

Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Odroid N2!

The only change from Preview1 is updated packages and the boot partition is now actually mounted so kernel updates get applied correctly.

Download:
KDE

Features:

The ODROID-N2 is a new generation single board computer that is more powerful, more stable, and faster performing than the N1. The main CPU of the N2 is based on big.Little architecture which integrates a quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 CPU cluster and a dual core Cortex-A53 cluster with a new generation Mali-G52 GPU. Thanks to the modern 12nm silicon technology, the A73 cores runs at 1.8Ghz without thermal throttling using the stock metal-housing heatsink allowing for a robust and quiet computer. The CPU's multi-core performance is around 20% faster and the 4GB DDR4 RAM is 35% faster than the N1. The N2’s DDR4 RAM runs at 1320Mhz while the N1’s DDR3 was running at 800Mhz. The large metal housing heatsink is designed to optimize the CPU and RAM heat dissipation and minimize throttling. The CPU is placed on the bottom side of the PCB to establish improved thermal characteristics.

How to install:

Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD or eMMC card (8 GB or larger).

Put the SD card into the Odroids SD card slot or the eMMC on the main board, if you used eMMC, and boot it up. The Odroid N2 should recognize the SD/eMMC card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot, it will display an OEM type install. After you have made your choices it will reboot into your newly setup system.

Known Issues:
KDE

• Favorites not set in menu.
  • No HW acceleration. (yet)

Donate!

Please consider supporting us via Patreon or by our other options.

2 Likes

Just as I placed an order (slightly cheaper than rock and their forums seem better). As a newbie to arm and Linux I'll no doubt be more likely to break this...a stress test of sorts :slight_smile: . Maybe I can turn my experiences into a wiki article or two. To add to the fun I'm writing my first Linux oriented program and will be cross compiling it to arm.

1 Like

I think you will be presently surprised with the N2. It's pretty quick. Good luck with your program, should be easy to get going but if something needs to be reworked or dependencies added, let us know.

1 Like

Thanks. The program is an easy to use front end for VLC (has to be easy enough for my 86 year old mother to use it :slight_smile: ), but with a lot of power hidden underneath. Specifically intended for use with a remote control (and/or keyboard). When it gets further along I'll put it up on GitHub (will require Lazarus to compile). Should be a lot fun all round.

Hi,

Manjaro arm preview 2 for odroid n2 kde edition installed from a sd card, nice job manjaro, congratulation!

it boot without screen (not the c2 for the moment)

feedback, after the preview 1 tested...

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.#
LABEL=BOOT /boot vfat defaults 0 0

[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk1 179:0 0 29,7G 0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1 179:1 0 243M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk1p2 179:2 0 29,5G 0 part /

[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$ uname -a
Linux n2-2019.06 4.9.177-2-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 2 21:24:06 UTC 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Enjoy !

Awesome. Thanks.
This way, future kernel updates should be applied correctly.

Thank you Strit. From the root CLI, I added a user:-

Added user useradd -m passwd
Added desk manager systemctl enable sddm
Updated and upgraded while still root pacman -Syyu
Reboot. And now able to use Desk Manager as user.
All works well but audio is still an issue.
But would much prefer Xfce to KDE. Thank you again Strit

I have got audio working on Odroid N2. To get information on the sound car:-

root@manjaro-arm ~]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 0: SPDIF-B-dit-hifi dit-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 1: TDM-C-T9015-audio-hifi T9015-audio-hifi-1 []
card 0: AMLAUGESOUND [AML-AUGESOUND], device 2: SPDIF-dit-hifi dit-hifi-2 []

This shows 3 devices are available. device 0 is HDMI. device 1 is the audio jack and
device 3 would be optical. But it needs a configuration file to activate one.
nano /etc/asound.conf to create it.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
}
}
This activates the audio jack. If you want HDMI then use "hw.0,0"
alsamixer shows various volume controls and after experimenting I got good quality audio but it does need an amplifier. The HDMI option works too if you have audio on the monitor.

Hi,

Nice job to got the audio with the n2, but not tested for the moment, sorry.

The n2 is working well, the updates pass well, I appreciate the last corekeyboard update, the letters are now more readable, thanks a lot (corekeyboard is a practice tool available with pacman for arm device)

Have a good day.