Manjaro ARM Preview1 for Raspberry Pi 4!

This is something we are working on.
Full RAM availability depends on upstream getting it to work first. :slight_smile: But the rest is something we actually already have. :slight_smile:

Anyone tried booting from USB? Stick, or external SSD?

USB boot is not supported yet, according to the Raspberry Pi people.

Not even with a boot.cfg tweak like on the rpi3?

Nope. Bootloader in the rpi4 does not support it yet.

Heya guys, go download the XFCE4 Preview for the Pi:-) it's really well made and works right off the download and has a comprehensive setup system for first install:-) Manjaro ARM Preview2 for Raspberry Pi 4!

New to Raspberry Pi. Thank you for all who are working on this project. I used etcher to write the minimal image to an sd card, and it boots fine. I can not do a pacman -Syyu, as it says the host can't be resolved. I am able to ping 8.8.8.8 however I can not ping www.google.com, I get the error "ping: www.google.com: Name or service not known"

Is there something that I need to enable for DNS lookups? Other devices that I connect to the same network are able to access DNS right out of the box.

Thanks again,
Brian

Yeah. We have a DNS conflict happening in some of our images between 19.06 release and now, so you need to disable systemd-resolved.

This can be done with:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved

And then reboot. That should make DNS work.

Solved. Thank you.

I am now having an issue getting my pi 4 to recognize my 32GB cards (be it the NOOBS, or O/S images). I can install Manjaro XFCE preview 2 and the minimal preview 1 on an 8 GB card. The minimal install on the 32GB boot looks as follows:

Any thoughts as to what may be going on? I have tried writing with dd and etcher with the same results. What logs on the sd card (if any) can I look at to see what the issue is?

FWIW this same thing happens in 2 different 32GB cards, one is the new one I received with my pi from canakit.

Thank you again.

I have no clue. I have 2 Samsung EVO Plus 32G cards and no problems.

Just a stab in the dark but may be the cards for some reason. Some people have issues with certain brands of cards. Are you overclocking the pi4?

No overclocking. I'm just trying to get it to work normally. The card from CanaKit is a Samsung EVO plus, the other I am using is a SanDisk Ultra.

One thing I do which I got into a habit a long time ago is do a sudo sync after burning every image no matter which method I use to burn an image.

I have been following the dd instructions on the raspberrypi site for Linux which include "conv=fsync". Should I use && sync instead?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/linux.md

Guess that is good enough.

Do you have a 16G card to try.

Your issue is symptoms of other issues like corruption, EDID (which I have here with my VIZIO tv) and power supply but the fact you are able to burn and boot a 8G card with manjaro/noobs blows those ideas out of the water.

Unfortunately I do not have a working 16GB card. I suppose I will get one on my way home from work and see if that does anything.

Store didn't have a 16GB card. I picked up 2 new 32GB. One I flashed with Windows etcher, the other Linux dd (sudo dd if=Manjaro-ARM-minimal-rpi4-preview1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync status=progress). Both cards failed to fully boot, rainbow screen some boot lines then dead. Ran the same dd command on my 8GB again, and it boots flawlessly.

Pi is set up the same way for all 3 tests, same cords same card insertion, plugging in order etc.

Have you tested the latest minimal version 19.08. I have not tested anything prior to that kernel that is in it as my pi4 was on back order.

I would try what the last post in your raspberry pi thread on their forums says. It is the only thing I have come across that makes sense with your problem.

"32GB is right on the limit where cards change from SDHC to SDXC, its possible that your card reader cant handle the 32GB card because its not fully supporting the SDXC SD card specification.

get yourself a cheap usb SD card reader that does multiple card types but includes SDXC in the specifications."

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark