Manjaro ARM Preview1 for Odroid N2

I am proud to announce Manjaro ARM Preview1 for the Odroid N2.

Download:
KDE

Features:

The ODROID-N2 is a new generation single board computer that is more powerful, more stable, and faster performing than the N1. The main CPU of the N2 is based on big.Little architecture which integrates a quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 CPU cluster and a dual core Cortex-A53 cluster with a new generation Mali-G52 GPU. Thanks to the modern 12nm silicon technology, the A73 cores runs at 1.8Ghz without thermal throttling using the stock metal-housing heatsink allowing for a robust and quiet computer. The CPU's multi-core performance is around 20% faster and the 4GB DDR4 RAM is 35% faster than the N1. The N2’s DDR4 RAM runs at 1320Mhz while the N1’s DDR3 was running at 800Mhz. The large metal housing heatsink is designed to optimize the CPU and RAM heat dissipation and minimize throttling. The CPU is placed on the bottom side of the PCB to establish improved thermal characteristics.

How to install:

Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn it to an SD or eMMC card (8 GB or larger).

Put the SD card into the Odroid's SD card slot or the eMMC on the main board, if you used eMMC, and boot it up. The Odroid should recognize the SD/eMMC card as a bootable device and boot from it.

On the first boot, it will display an OEM type install. After you have made your choices it will reboot into your newly setup system.

Known Issues:
KDE

• Favorites not set in menu.
  • No HW acceleration. (yet)

Donate!

Please consider supporting us via Patreon or by our other options.

UPDATE: Because of a recently discovered "flaw" in the image creation process, kernel updates do not get applied to this image.
To correct this, please put this in your /etc/fstab:
For eMMC card:

/dev/mmcblk0p1      /boot    vfat    0    0

For SD card:

/dev/mmcblk1p1      /boot    vfat    0    0

Reboot and then reinstall the updated kernel package with sudo pacman -Syyu linux-odroid-n2 and reboot again.

4 Likes

Hi,

Manjaro arm preview 1 for odroid n2 kde edition installed to a sd card, the performance are good in term of fluidity and speed, nice job, congratulation!
No trouble during the installation

+++
ssh
vnc
start without display :slight_smile: (not the c2 for the moment)
the favorites are enable in the kde menu
kernel 4.9.170-1 manjaro arm

Enjoy !

You can add favorites yes, but the ones I have pre-added are not displayed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,

After one week of use with this manjaro arm preview1 for n2 device, it's working well.
First, update your system (pacman -Syyu)

+++
+the performance are good
+the usb 3 and gigabit ethernet transfer speeds are high
+it boot without screen (not the c2 for the moment)
+corekeyboard is a really practice tool (find with pamac)
the keyboard letters are too light, I find a keyboard with those letters more readable, see below an example, idea for a future theme...

corekeyboard_wish

I report 2 issue, the os is up to date :

1)I boot the n2, the date is up to date, not the time
I reboot the n2, date and time are both up to date

2)I configure kde with a white theme and some software are running with a black theme.
Same issue with the c2 manjaro 19.04 no troubles like this with the c2 manjaro 19.02

code blocks is running with a black theme, not ok

pamac is running with a black theme, not ok

libre office is running with a white theme, ok

No solution find on my side to solve those issue, I'm sure you'll find a solution to solve those minor buggs.

This is probably because the network time needs time to adjust to your system timezone setting.

You probably need to configure your GTK themes to be light themed as well.
That can be done from System Settings -> Application Style -> Gnome/GTK application style.

Thanks a lot, it's solved on both devices c2 and n2, I configured the gtk theme.

1 Like

Updated the OP with following info:

UPDATE: Because of a recently discovered "flaw" in the image creation process, kernel updates do not get applied to this image.
To correct this, please put this in your /etc/fstab:
For eMMC card:

/dev/mmcblk0p1      /boot    vfat    0    0

For SD card:

/dev/mmcblk1p1      /boot    vfat    0    0

Reboot and then reinstall the updated kernel package with sudo pacman -Syyu linux-odroid-n2 and reboot again.

Hi,

What is wrong with my fstab ?

etc

with this one the device don't start after reboot (no ssh), I delete the fstab file to solve it and reboot

Do you boot from eMMC or SD card?

PS: You also have to reinstall the kernel package for it to work. :slight_smile:

I boot from sd

Hm, we may need to change how we do this here then.

What if you manually mount it first, then reinstall kernel package and then update the fstab?

How to manually mount it first ?

sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /boot should do it.

Sorry, it dosn't work... see below what I did, I upadated the fstab and then reboot, Black screen and no ssh possible...
Create a new image to download with the last kernel...

[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$ sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /boot
[sudo] Mot de passe de nln2 :
[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyu linux-odroid-n2
:: Synchronisation des bases de données de paquets…
core 205,6 KiB 142K/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
extra 2,3 MiB 619K/s 00:04 [##################################] 100%
community 5,0 MiB 1366K/s 00:04 [#####################################################################################################] 100%
avertissement : linux-odroid-n2-4.9.177-2 est à jour -- réinstallation
:: Début de la mise à jour complète du système…
résolution des dépendances…
recherche des conflits entre paquets…

Paquet (1) Ancienne version Nouvelle version Changement net

core/linux-odroid-n2 4.9.177-2 4.9.177-2 0,00 MiB

Taille totale installée : 115,43 MiB
Taille de mise Ă  jour nette : 0,00 MiB

:: Procéder à l’installation ? [O/n] o
(1/1) vérification des clés dans le trousseau [##################################] 100%
(1/1) vérification de l’intégrité des paquets [##################################] 100%
(1/1) chargement des fichiers des paquets [##################################] 100%
(1/1) analyse des conflits entre fichiers [##################################] 100%
(1/1) vérification de l’espace disque disponible [##################################] 100%
:: Traitement des changements du paquet…
(1/1) réinstallation linux-odroid-n2 [##################################] 100%
:: Exécution des crochets de post-transaction…
(1/4) Updating linux-odroid-n2 module dependencies...
(2/4) Updating linux-odroid-n2 initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-odroid-n2.preset: 'default'
-> -k 4.9.177-2-MANJARO-ARM -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 4.9.177-2-MANJARO-ARM
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [autodetect]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> WARNING: No modules were added to the image. This is probably not what you want.
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
(3/4) Updating uimg initcpios...
Image Name: Ramdisk Image
Created: Tue Jun 4 08:58:01 2019
Image Type: AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 7308156 Bytes = 7136.87 KiB = 6.97 MiB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
(4/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$

You Know what ?
I deleted the fstab from the sd card to reboot and see below :slight_smile:

n2

The os boot with a screen :slight_smile:
it's ok for you ?

It's the updated kernel at least.

What's the output of lsblk?

PS: If you can, please post text instead of pictures. :slight_smile:

ok, I'll avoid the pictures...

lsblk see below

[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk1 179:0 0 29,7G 0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1 179:1 0 243M 0 part
└─mmcblk1p2 179:2 0 29,5G 0 part /
[nln2@n2-2019 ~]$

And it does not boot if you place the fstab in?

Problem is, that when the kernel updates, it won't update, because the boot files are not actually on the boot partition.

Maybe I should just create a Preview2, and you could just use that instead? :slight_smile:

OK, no problem create a preview 2 and I'll install it...

Nice to help the manjaro team :slight_smile:

I installed the odroid n2 preview 1, which runs nice and smooth from emmc but no sound.
I have sound over hdmi, but cannot select output to audiojack. Any help?

I updated the kernel by manualy mounting /boot then reinstall the kernel then reboot. Changing fstab gave the same problem as nl.smart.
Keep up the good work!