Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

I ordered a X96 Air off geekbuying.com but there was no way to tell which version it would be from the web site. It came to £32 including postage so I thought I’d take the chance, my X96 Air Q1000 was £42.

It took 2 weeks to arrive to the UK and it turns out it’s a X96 Air Q100 ie 100Mb ethernet, not gigabit like on the Air Q1000. Ah well, it’s still good value. The packaging of both is identical, as are the cases. There is no way to distinguish the X96 Air Q1000 from the Q100 externally, not without opening it up maybe or checking under Android’s ‘About this phone’.

My dtb for the X96 Air Q1000 works with Manjaro on the Q100 except for, you guessed it, ethernet. I thought I’d try flashing the Q100 with the Q1000 firmware to see what would happen but it didn’t want to boot that. Worth a shot! I’ve got to wait for the Q100 firmware to download now before I can do anything else with it.

Hi ,
Tried this but failed as throws error header tree not found for 5.12.9.1

Hi
Newbie here , I had managed to install on i96pro s905x3 4gb , Ethernet works fine
I tried my best with all forum suggestions but couldn’t get wifi working
Onboard wifi is Realtek 8822be and also tried USB wifi realer 8821c
USB one is shown under device info
But was never able to install driver ,
I use meason s610 dtb and found that’s the only one works fine and loads Ethernet
Appreciate if anyone can guide for installing Realtek driver

1 Like

Hi Sjsj

I have got a X96 Max Plus (as well as a couple of X96 Air boxes) and today I have been trying to get wifi to work on the Max plus which uses a RTL8822 with no success, not under linux-aml 5.12 at least.

@TheMojoMan Have you tried to get the rtl8822 driver working under 5.12? I have got it to build and load but I don’t see a wifi network device. I am using the meson-sm1-x96maxplus-vim100m.dtb

Looking back through this thread I can see you created a rtl8822cs-dkms-git package? Do you still have the source for this? That won’t make it work under 5.12 ofc :slight_smile:

I used the instructions from earlier in this thread to build it:

sudo pacman -S base-devel git bc dkms linux-vim-headers
    git clone https://github.com/chewitt/RTL8822CS.git
    cd RTL8822CS/
    sed -i 's/$(MAKE) ARCH=$(ARCH) CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE) -C $(KSRC) M=$(shell pwd)/$(MAKE) -j4 -C $(KSRC) M=$(shell pwd)/g' Makefile
    sed -i 's/$(CROSS_COMPILE)strip $(MODULE_NAME).ko --strip-unneeded/strip $(MODULE_NAME).ko --strip-unneeded/g' Makefile
    make
    … (wait about 5 min.) …
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe 88x2cs

It didn’t build on my first attempt tho, I had to edit os_dep/linux/recv_linux.c and delete these lines (356-362):

#ifdef CONFIG_RTW_GRO
if (pregistrypriv->en_gro) {
if (rtw_napi_gro_receive(&padapter->napi, pskb) != GRO_DROP)
rx_ok = _TRUE;
goto next;
}
#endif /* CONFIG_RTW_GRO */

The driver should work under Linux 5.10 but it’d be better if we could get it working under 5.12+ too.

I’d like to add this to the wiki if we can get it working.

I think it should be linux-headers as most image are using linux pkg by default

I was able to make it work with 5.12 and wrote about it in replies #967 and #970:

(Add the respective header files of the kernel version that you are running)

Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box? - #967 by TheMojoMan and here Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box? - #970 by TheMojoMan

You can find the new dkms driver and sources in my MEGA folder: 3.58 MB file on MEGA

The key to make it compile correctly was to change ‘GRO_DROP’ to ‘GRO_MERGED_FREE’ in ‘recv_linux.c’ (not deleting anything).

Thanks for writing such a great wiki article and your fantastic contributions to this forum!

2 Likes

Thanks MojoMan!

I’ll try that later.

Do you know where I can download the stock image for the Max Plus, NOT the Max Plus 2? Every site I’ve found claiming to have a Max Plus image is actually for the Max Plus 2.

Unfortunately, I do not know it.

Did a quick search and found one at geekbuying that claims to be for the “Max Plus” but it links to an image for the “Max Plus 2” as you have described.

I did not backup the image of my box, yet. Do you know if there is TWRP for our box?

Yes there is TWRP, see the rooting Android section of the wiki.

Once I bricked my box, but managed to install a slimbox version (project SLIMBOX | XDA Forums), since then, I never installed no more stock rom garbage.

I found a working stock rom ( X96_Max_Plus_2.16_Not_BT_upgrade_2021.02.01.img.7z ) for my X96 Max Plus here:

I have added that site and a link to SLIMBOX (which I’ve not tried myself yet) to the android firmware downloads section of the wiki.

I would like to try SLIMBOX but they only seem to host their files on Google drive which has always exceeded its quota. Do you know of any mirrors?

Just connect to your google account there (in Google drive) and you will be able to doawload it.

1 Like

Yes, that fixed it.

Unfortunately I discovered that my X96 Max Plus has some obscure Wifi/BT chipset called AM7256. I searched for AM7256 and got no results. Wifi doesn’t work in any of the Android images I’ve tried including slimbox so I can’t see me getting it working under Manjaro.

Guys please create a new thread in general discussion for stock roms as this thread have become too big for any user to follow it :smiley:

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I have Nexbox A95X (S905X) with installed manjaro. Everything is working, but when I switch from linux-vim to linux package, device stops loading, I can see only “Starting version 248-5-arch” and nothing… Maybe someone can help me?

Hi @JFL : About 20 days ago , you mentioned "I do use mpv --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy videofile to stream youtube. Example below. Based on my experience, meson vdec currently support/play video resolution up to 1080p/30 and anything higher usually poor results. "

Could you please tell me which distro. ( linux-vim or mainline kernel , kernel version , mesa version , X11/Plasma or else ) you are playing with ? I would like to have a trial too. Thankyou !

Hi @xiaohai,
So far debian Bullseye, Ubuntu Focal/Hirsute and Manjaro all works as long as Panfrost enabled and meson vdec firmware. On Manjaro I currently use mainline linux kernel and it works most of the time. Fyi, --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy does not always work and you need to limit the fps to only 30 fps else you will have high dropped frames in my exprience on my device anyway. vo=gpu alone works well in terms of reducing the CPU resouces. It works well on on XFCE, GNOME and KDE Manjaro-Arm so far.

Just found out on my device, MPV does not play/stream AV1 video format well.

1 Like

I think using mpv with video accel should be added to the wiki. What is the full command you use JFL?

Hopefully the meson vdec driver will get improved to handle UHD + 4K playback because most of the current Amlogic SoCs can handle 1080p video playback fine in software but it is still nice to take that load off the CPU.

1 Like

To limit youtube-dl to load up to 1080p/30:

ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1080][fps<=?30]+bestaudio/best

As far as I understand, Panfrost needs to be enabled for vo=gpu and hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy or hwdec=auto to work.

mpv --vo=gpu --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy <videofile>

If video does not play well with --hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy just use:

mpv --vo=gpu <videofile>