Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

@spikerguy I have Armbian with Balbes latest kernel 5.9.0 (his general multiboard arm-64 tag/branch/family) running 100% stable on my (s922x-j) box. (I have used Armbian on the box for a couple of months.)

Edit: Clarification.
Edit2: I have also had Armbian kernel 5.8.10 (I think it was .10) running w/o problem on the box.

Hi Spikerguy,

Thanks for the response. I am interested in trying out the latest Manjaro 20.10 on Beelink GTKing Pro but am very new in Linux so to compile or generate one from majaro arm installer is most likely beyond me unless with a lot of guidance with detailed steps.

If you are building one image for GTKPro for testing would it be possible release/share for those that is interest to test it?

The Manjaro VIM3 20.06 with kernel 5.7 is too unstable for GTKPro as it is. I can’t get pass basic system updating without kernel panic or freezing (eg. during fresh "pacman -Syu, was able to complete download of all the packages (500-700MB) but will hit kernel panic during “checking available disk space or unpacking of up to 5 packages then freeze.” The latest was during boot up “kernel panic” (cannot boot up anymore).

Looking forward to test Manjaro Arm with kernel 5.9.1 and above soon.

1 Like

Yes i am using the kernel from balbes branch only. So our dtb is the same as his.

Ok will try to build one later this weekend.

You can build one on your own using this guide.
Try if you can.

@spikerguy This means that it should be possible to solve this. Let me know if there is something I can do (run tests, possibly build something, etc). Much appreciate your work.

1 Like

Hi Spikerguy,

Thank you. Looking forward to test the Manjaro Arm 20.10 for GTKPro.

In Armbian I notice there are at least two versions of dtb files for meson-ugoos-am6.dtb one with 73K file size and another file size 51K. There is also one from Armbian for GTKPro meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb of file size 73K.

@JFL I think this is due to the inclusion of a list of symbols (for use with overlays) in one of them. You can check by decompiling (I outlined this somewhere above) and look near the end of the decompiled file. For our use, I don’t think there is any difference.

Edit: Oops, I forgot that you don’t have a running box but if you are ambitious you can do this on some other Linux box.

Tripole,

Beelink GTKPro is the only Android TV box I have. Thanks for the information.

JFL,

I have followed the Manjaro WiKi mentioned by Spikerguy above (using the section “Building an OEM image”) and produced two versions of a 20.11 image with the vim3 kernel version 5.9.0-1. You can find the images here; xfce-image and minimal-image

As these are files produced by a random person on the internet (me), treat them as such (use only for testing and then discard).

Edit: I don’t know exactly how the versioning works; the images came out with the tag 20.11 but I don’t know exactly what that means in terms of packages (there is also a txt file showing the package versions, but I didn’t upload that). The kernel is 5.9.0-1 though, that is clear.

1 Like

Regarding the versioning it is written in the ‘How to contribute to Manjaro ARM’ wiki that ‘buildarmimg’ has an option ‘-v’ which allows you to set the version name as you like. If you do not use option ‘-v’ it defaults to YY.MM.

Yeah, I kind of knew that but I guess I’m not clear on what that actually means. (I have been too lazy to actually look at the package list, but maybe I’ll get around to that… :slightly_smiling_face: ) (I haven’t used this image myself, since I have a running Manjaro ARM system, updated “manually”.)

I guess the ‘-v’ option is just for convenience so that you do not have to rename the final image by hand (since the rest of the name is automatically generated depending on the device and edition you are building).

BTW, I did my first (Gnome) build just some hours ago. I also have an updated XFCE version already running on my X96Max+ TV box (S905X3, Mali G31). After first boot I did not have ethernet on the Gnome version I built while ethernet is working fine on the updated XFCE version. Both sharing the same ‘meson-sm1-sei610-2.dtb’ I used to use on Armbian with the 5.9.0 kernel. Will have to investigate it later …

3 Likes

Hi Tripole,

Thank you. Wow, you are fast and good at it.

I will download your Manjaro OEM image 20.11 with VIM3 kernel 5.9.0-1 build and give it go shortly. Download speed seems slow for now.

I have contacted Beelink Android team and they confirmed that the kernel crash issue is nothing but Android Uboot conflict with Linux kernel.

So I will be trying to coordinate with the Beelink Development team to find a fix for the crash issue.

I hope to find a solution soon for this as I Cannot wait to start using gx King X as my main nas server instead of My current NanoPiNeo2Plus

2 Likes

Hi Tripole and Spikerguy,

Just completed downloading the Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim3-20.11.img_xz and burn image on a USB Stick. I used meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb to boot up. It boot up but no ethernet or wifi connection. It said “Network Manager is not running…” I thought the Network Manager is automatically installed and running?

$ systemclt status NetworkManager
NetwrorkManager.service - Network Manager
Loaded loaded (./usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.d
Active: inactive (dead)

(Edited uEnv.ini to boot up with meson-g12b–ugoos-am6.dtb and reboot. Still have the same issue “NetwrorkManager is not running…” so still no network Ethernet or Wifi)

Need guidance on how to startup the Network Manager so that I can at least connect to Ethernet and hopefully wifi too. Thanks.

Hi Spikerguy,

Great at least now we know what is causing the Kernel Panic in Beelink GT King Pro. Does it means there will be a new Android Firmware Upgrade from Beelink?

I just burn the VIM3 image that Tripole build and burn on a USB Stick. It boot up but NetworkManager is not running meaning No Ethernet or Wifi. I use meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb from Armbian as this VIM3 image does not have gtking-pro.dtb.

Appreciate input to resolve this NetworkManager not running issue. Thanks.

It seems that Network Manager has died and I guess it takes a little troubleshooting to figure out why… You must probably google a little about how to use the command journalctl and filter out error messages from the systemd log that can be relevant for diagnosis. Also, I would suggest that you first restart the box and perform that little ritual that worked for you before (cold boot, or maybe it was warmbooting from Android). Another thing, you can do a
dmesg | grep dwmac
and see what you find (dwmac is a program-glue layer that wraps the physical ethernet device, I think, and therefore this can help diagnose if the physical layer is working). Just my 2 cents…

Edit: Maybe I’m not reading the systemd message correctly. I can’t tell (because of ignorance) if Network Manager never started or it started and has then died. If you do
systemctl start NetworkManager.service
and then immediately do
journalctl | tail -n50
what do you get in the systemd log?

I also notice during start up or shutdown there is message “Failed to configure Network…”

Will try to re-burn the image and start up clean with “meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dtb” to see whether it boot up with NetworkManager running.

Re-burn image of Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim3-20.11.img_xz and using meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dtb still results in “NetworkManager is not running…” No Ethernet or Wifi on GTKPro.

TheMojoMan,

Great that you have a S905X3 box up and running. Could it be that your issue with ethernet (on Gnome build) is somehow related to JFL’s ethernet issue? I mean, both occur on recent (like “today”) image builds… :thinking:

Hi Tripole,

thanks for your message. Yes I think that the problems are related. There must be something missing in the build scripts I guess.

Since that was my first build I need to have a closer look into the configuration files as a next step I think. That’s gonna be a hard one …

Hi Tripole & Spikerguy,

Beelink GT King Pro - using meson-g12b-ugoos-am6.dtb from the Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim3-20.11.img_xz dtbs folder.

From Terminal
$ systemctl start NetworkManager.service

[ 261.167543] meson8b-dwmac ff3f0000.ethernet eth0: PHY [0.0:00] driver [RTL8211F Gigabit Ethernet] (irq=29)
[ 261.194834] meson8b-dwmac ff3f0000.ethernet eth0: No Safety Features support found
[ 261.196766] meson8b-dwmac ff3f0000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[ 261.203491] meson8b-dwmac ff3f0000.ethernet eth0: configuring for phy/rgmii link mode
[ 264.821866] meson8b-dwmac ff3f0000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

By issue the above command, Ethernet is now available. Thanks for the guidances. Per the ‘dmesg’ output the ‘Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx’.

Manjaro seems not that responsive for now and off and on the screen flashes. Firefox (page/tab load a bit slow) and LibreOffice Writer both took sometime to load up.

Will check the wifi availability after performing “sudo pacman -Syu” update.

No update available as expected as the image is newly build.
After reboot, NetworkManager is not running, need to “systemctl start NetworkManager.service” to be able to access to Ethernet. Still NO Wifi for GTKPro with this image Kernel: Linux 5.9.0-1-MANJARO-ARM.

No sound either. Will try run script /usr/bin/g12_sound.sh.
root@JFL jfl]# script /usr/bin/g12_sound.sh
Script started, output log file is ‘/usr/bin/g12_sound.sh’.
[root@JFL jfl]#
Still no sound after reboot.

By the way any instruction that will Enable/Start NetworkManager.service on Boot Up.