Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box?

Seek assistance on how to log on to KDE Plasma-Wayland. KDE Plasma 5.21.5

After trying out linux-vim 5.12.9-1 which corrupted the SD Card, decided to try out Manjaro KDE this round. Burn Manjaro-KDE 21.04, luckily this round linux-vim 5.11.7-1 doesn’t kernel panic after second round of boot up and immediately switch to mainline linux 5.12.10-1 successfully and shutdown and restart. All went well with system update which takes around 2 hours! Edited 01-panfrost.conf to enable Panfrost. Shutdown/Reboot and power cycle (Reboot does not work with mainline linux kernel on GT King Pro and Shutdown need a power cycle to restart).

Plasma - Xorg/X11 with Panfrost eabled runs reasonably smooth. Would like to try out KDE Plasma-Wayland.

Somehow I don’t see an option on the KDE/Plasma Greeting Screen for Plasma-Wayland. How to activate KDE Plasma-Wayland. Previous KDE had the option on the greeting screen to select Plasma-Wayland but now I don’t seems to be able to find it. Appreciate some guidance.

Thanks.

Edit:
To have Plasma-Wayland option do I have to install plasma-wayland-ssession and plasma-wayland-protocols?

What other packages need to be installed to make KDE Plasma-Wayland to run smoothly on arm64 devices?

plasma-wayland-session is the only extra package required to install if you have a working plasma X11.

Unfortunately I can no longer log into Wayland plasma as of about 2 days ago. It was usable under manjaro unstable a week or so ago but the last time I tried plasma wayland under Manjaro stable it was way too buggy to be usable.

With plasma wayland as it was in unstable a week ago, the only real problem I had was the display config settings for res and refresh rate didn’t work - their menus didn’t expand when clicked on. This works fine under the GNOME wayland display settings.

Installed plasma-wayland-session. But cannot login to Plasma (Wayland) session. Just stuck at Plasma (Wayland) session login screen.

@spikerguy, does your gt king pro or ugoos am6 plus able to login to Plasma (Wayland) session with the current stable branch KDE Plasma 5.21.5-1?

Plasma (X11) works.

Yes same

Looks like the current Arm-stable branch KDE Plasma 5.21.5-1 might be having issue with Plasma-Wayland.

Hi @spikerguy,

Just happen to read this post Ideas to unify ARM boot sequences and kernel namings

For now, I have deprecated my VIM3 board, as its closed source ATF is just a crap.
Those guys doing the test in Khadas/Amlogic doesn’t even bother testing 64K page size, and cause random crash for 64K page size kernel.

Is this one of the reason why GT King Pro is having issue with linux-vim 5.11.y/5.12.9 (Edit) (kernel panic during boot process and random kernel panic) and linux-aml 5.12.0-1 (wouldn’t boot at all, I/O error)? If yes, is there a solution to overcome this?

I revisited this, and got up and running. I have 2 problems though.

1. When trying to update via pacman, I get an error:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
linux-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.khadas,vim2.txt exists in filesystem (owned by kvim2-firmware)

Fixed with sudo pacman -R kvim2-firmware

1. Now, the other issue appears to be no sound. Seems Manjaro is not finding an audio output device. After posting this I feel like I recall seeing a possible solution here on the forum…I’ll double check but I have a dmesg just in case. Welcome to Manjaro-ARM~~Website: https://manjaro.org~~Forum: https://forum - Pastebin.com

Check whether g12_sound.sh is using Amlogic New CONF, if this is the case just revert to Amlogic OLD CONF. Had similar issue before when I updated from a very old linux kernel to a very much newer linux kernel.

2 Likes

Which device are you using and which dtb ?

The device is a Transpeed X3 Air(Sofobod HK1 Box, Vontar X3 clone?).

I am using the h96max-x3-test8.dtb listed above.

And that did the trick…

One other question, the desktop(KDE) has a decent amount of lag to it. Should I expect that to disappear if I installed Manjaro to the internal storage rather than booting from sdcard?

I am running KDE from SD Card too. Yes, at times, KDE Plasma-X11 seems lagging especially right after boot up. That is the reason wanted to try out in Plasma-Wayland whether performance improve.

But could not login to Plasma-Wayland session in KDE Plasma 5.21.5 and also on the latest KDE Plasma 5.22.1! Just stuck/freeze on Login Greeting Screen.

Edit: Plasma-X11 5.22.1 with MESA 21.1.2 and Panfrost enabled, performance wise is reasonable. The glmark2-es2 score of 318 with MESA 21.1.2-1 and Panfrost enabled is still low compared to Manjaro XFCE with MESA 21.1.1-1.

At least with MESA Stable 21.1.1-1 or 21.1.2-1 there is NO system slowing down running in XFCE Xorg/X11 as compared to current MESA-GIT where the system slows down as uptime progresses and the easiest tell tale sign is running the glmark2 benchmark over time it you will notice the glmark2 score drop significantly over time and it is not due to thermal issue. Not sure whether this is a bug in the current MESA-GIT, I noticed this issue on MESA-GIT 21.2.0-devel since May 19 onwards. I have not read any complain on this on MESA-GIT thus far though. But current MESA-GIT don’t seem to this issue on Ubuntu-Wayland and same issue on Ubuntu-XFCE with current MESA-GIT which same as in Manjaro XFCE.

@spikerguy, I just updated to latest Stable Update 2021-06-18 with Plasma 5.22.1 and MESA 21.1.2 but once again Plasma-Wayland session does NOT work. Is it due to settings? I have installed plasma-wayland-session module. Is it a bug?

Operating System: Manjaro-ARM
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.1
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.83.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.12.11-1-MANJARO-ARM (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 6 × 
    Memory: 3.7 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mali G52

Hi @danboid, Are you able to login on Plasma-Wayland session with the latest KDE Plasma 5.22.1? On my device, just stuck/freeze on the Plasma-Wayland Login Screen. Have to power cycle to reboot.

JFL:

Interesting! On my X96 Air (Mali G31), GLES barely works under Xorg. I get a glmark score in the 30’s under XFCE unstable whilst under Wayland its closer to 300.

EDIT

The good news is that I’ll be switching from MATE to XFCE for an X desktop because it looks like XFCE finally has working (if basic, 2X only) HiDPI scaling support under Manjaro unstable. It had several issues drawing the panel and its menu when scaled until very recently. MATE doesn’t seem to like ARM Linux much. It doesn’t run well on my Nano either but ultimately I do want to stop using X and fully move to Wayland ASAP.

On my x96 Air (Mali G31) with gnome wayland I get glmark2es-wayland score of 400
I think the performance under gnome wayland is much more optimize with panfrost

Hi dante

Which model of X96 Air do you use and are you running Manjaro stable or unstable?

I have a X96 air P3. I’m on unstable branch (with the latest linux-vim kernel), but I’m using mesa from archlinuxdroid repo.

1 Like

Yes, mesa-git works well on gnome-wayland but mesa-git (from archlinux or Manjaro repo) on XFCE (X11) on my device it has an issue with system becoming none responsive as uptime progresses but XFCE with stable Mesa 21.1.1-1 NO issue. Wanted to try out KDE Plasma-Wayland .

@danboid, does this mean you are able to logon to KDE Plasma (Wayland) on KDE Plasma 5.22.1? Cannot login to Plasma (Wayland) session on my device (G52).

Hi JFL

I did a fresh install of Manjaro unstable today and I am now able to login to plasma wayland under unstable again. However, a while back I was able to set the desktop scaling factor in the system settings but that, along with a few other display settings, isn’t working although I think we can work around these probs using the right plasma EVs and wlrandr to set res etc.

Hi dante6913:

I didn’t know about the archlinuxdroid repo, thats very interesting. I’ll have to try their mesa to see if I get better results.

I wonder what tweaks they make versus the regular Manjaro mesa-git package? Do you know if they’ve got the PKGBUILD files available anywhere?