Manjaro ARM for Rockchip TV Boxes

Ok. Which armbian image works for you?

try with the image in my drive

no Armbian image in your drive, just Uboot and Manjaro Vim3 image

Here’s what I did:

If I used the vim3 image straight from armbian then burn with etcher, then burn the “u-boot-rk3399-nanopc-t4” into the image SD Card, the partition is broken.

If I used your vim3 image from the google drive then burn with etcher, then burn the “u-boot-rk3399-nanopc-t4” from your drive as well. The partition is not broken. Then I changed the dtb, but it still cannot boot

I’ m making a new image with your boot, so please wait a little. It is almost working but sd card has died ang is going slow.

Many thanks for your help… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

don’t worry I’m not in a rush. Please take your time.

Finally I can boot to Manjaro using Vim3 image and “u-boo t-rk3399-nanopc-t4” via dd in terminal.

So at first, I tried to install Manjaro on a new virtual machine and compile the image from Arm Installer for nanopc-t4 as per @spikerguy advice. But I still unable to boot on my box.

Then I tried many attempt to understand Balbes150’s uboot topic on LibreElec. After many many hours of trial, finally I understood and actually it’s quite easy to do:

1. Download Arm vim3 image from Manjaro official download link
  2. Burn that image to sd card via etcher
  3. Download “u-boot-rk3399-nanopc-t4” from this link: https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/U-BOOT/U-BOOT-ARMBIAN/20200218
  4. Open terminal, then type this command, then find the location of your SD card mount (in my case it was /dev/sdd)

lsblk

1. Now let’s burn the u-boot to the SD Card

sudo dd if=/the/location/of/your/u-boot-rk339-nanopc-t4.img of=/dev/<SD_card> conv=fsync bs=1 count=442

sudo dd if=/the/location/of/your/u-boot-rk339-nanopc-t4.img of=/dev/<SD_card> conv=fsync bs=512 skip=1 seek=1

1. You can change the dtb by changing the dtb setting to “rk3399-rockpro64.dtb”

Many Thanks @SickOS for your help, finally I figured out the way to boot to Manjaro using my H96 Max RK3399 box.

So happy that now I’m running Manjaro on this box, the next step is fixing wifi and bluetooth :slight_smile:

In fact, now I can boot from the same SD Card image for both my X96 Max+ and H96 Max RK3399. Very impressive…

*PS: it seems Manjaro also boot very well on my AC Adapter (the one that comes with the box). so I revised my previous statement here:

I can confirm, that using the same method. Now I am able to boot to TwisterOS.

1. I download and burn the ArmbianReforge to my SD Card
  2. I extract the u-boot from the ArmbianReforge SD Card which is currently working in my box using dd

sudo dd if=/dev/<SD_card> of=/location/of/your/extracted/u-boot-RK3399-ArmbianReforge.img bs=1M count=16

1. Then I download and burn the TwisterOS on the SD Card
  2. Then I burn the ArmbianReforge extracted u-boot to my TwisterOS SD Card using dd

sudo dd if=/location/of/your/extracted/u-boot-RK3399-ArmbianReforge.img of=/dev/<SD_card> conv=fsync bs=1 count=442

sudo dd if=/location/of/your/extracted/u-boot-RK3399-ArmbianReforge.img of=/dev/<SD_card> conv=fsync bs=512 skip=1 seek=1

1. I change the DTB to “rk3399-rockpro64.dtb”
  2. Now Twister OS is working on my H96Max RK3399

Many Thanks to @SickOS for the link and the idea. You are awesome…!!! :slight_smile:

This method should also work for TwisterOS Manjaro Arm Edition

Use rk3399 version image instead of vim3. That would be a better image for rockchip doc.

The steps remains the same.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am very happy using the Vim3 image. Because now I can use the same SD Card image for both H96Max RK3399 and X96Max+ AML S905x3. So a single SD Card image can run on multiple hardware. That’s the beauty that I like from using Vim3 image… :slight_smile:

You just need to change the DTB to use the other hardware.

Actually I am a bit curious whether if I burn the H5 OrangePiPC2 u-boot on this same SD Card, will it work for those three boxes? If it does, it just mind-blowing.

Very good rna, happy to see things work well now.
It’s video working well in H96? I mean YouTube, mpv 1080p…

You cannot write onrangepi boot. Your SD card boots in X96 just because amlogic don’ t use any boot.

I have an image for rockchip boxes in my drive, that I think can help rockchip tv users a bit more.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13o1S4G5Z3QSoWHrFcC_WPkcFDihUului?usp=sharing

It has uboot for nanopc t4 but this can be changed with others included in RK_uboot. Which u-boot works with your box is your task. Making the trials is easy because the flash is made in seconds. So in order to get an install on sd card:

1.- Burn manjaro image with balena etcher.
2.- Burn boot image (e.g. u-boot-rk3399-renegade-elite.img) in the same card with balena etcher. Try booting and if it fails you can do this flash again with another boot image.
3.- Add a dtb file to extlinux.conf that can work with your box.

The roc_pc image remains because uboot is different.

With SD card in the unpowered box press reset and power on. The reset button in the sound jack must be pressed with a toothpick while powering. Wait 10 seconds and release the reset. I don’t have to do that. anymore, because I think after first botting is enabled the sd-booting…
Good luck!

Working on superpow MXQ max leelbox q4

Youtube 1080p on Firefox is quite laggy, but still watchable. Somebody says that currently panfrost does not work very well with firefox. Haven’t tried mpv because I don’t have 1080p video at the moment.

You are correct. If I burn the orangepi-pc2 uboot, RK3399 uboot is destroyed. But AML is still able too boot, because it does not use uboot.

Thanks for the image, really helpful. I really like how your u-boot can be burnt in Balena Etcher, as this will be easier for most user.

It will if you change kernel from linux-vim to linux

As that one have support for all soc.

how to do that?

sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers

This will install linux and linux-headers pkg while asking if you would like to remove linux-vim as it will conflict.
Just say yes and it will update the kernel.
Don’t forget to make sure that the dtb that you use is present after installing linux kernel. Pkg.

I can confirm that this image can boot on my box using rk3399-rockpro64.dtb

However, internal wifi and bluetooth do not work, usb wifi also doesn’t work. Maybe because the kernel is old? 5.7.2-1-Manjaro-Arm

Many Thanks for the share

Ethernet, wifi and Bluetooth all depend heavily on the dtb file, and is usual not get them with a file made for another board.

The USB should work but the driver must be installed. I have a rtl8812bu and have to install the driver to get wifi. Many wifi hardware does not even have driver for arm Linux.

I bet that kernel is OK, but you can update with your phone plugged in the USB, this always works.

You can try another dtb. I would try the X99 one if i were you. Find it in the drive.
Problem is that the wifi driver surely is not there, seach for net interfaces with nmcli and so you can check there’s a wifi adapter internal or USB.

yes, it boots using the X99 dtb. But I don’t know how use the nmcli part to activate the internal wifi